Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toasters

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

Cheers,

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gordon Henderson writes:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still

Funny you should say that,
Last night, I repaired my parents' ~55 year old Morphy Richards.
http://objectwiki.sciencemuseum.org....er_chrome.html
The element had burned out at one end.

It's getting to need a repair every few years now.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes
On 2011-10-26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done,

Yes.

)

Do they all have that silly, non resettable clockwork timer?

:-/
--
fred
time for a new sig I think . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

"Real" Dualit - maybe, but v. expensive.

Do NOT get a Dualit "Lite". They work OK, until they break and are then
totally unrepairable unlike their big brothers - and still not cheap.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes
On 2011-10-26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done,

Yes.

)

Do they all have that silly, non resettable clockwork timer?

:-/

What do you mean by non-resettable? Certainly mine you just twist the
knob to 0 if you want to stop it prematurely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 26/10/11 11:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

Dualit, but a proper traditional one, not the cheap things bearing only
the logo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew May
writes
In article , Huge
writes
On 2011-10-26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done,

Yes.

)

Do they all have that silly, non resettable clockwork timer?

:-/

What do you mean by non-resettable? Certainly mine you just twist the
knob to 0 if you want to stop it prematurely.

My experience was of a 4 slice commercial unit. The knob could be turned
freely clockwise to set the period required but it could not be turned
easily anticlockwise to reduce the period if it had been set too high or
if it turned out the toast was ready earlier than expected to turn the
heaters off.

Attempting to turn the knob anticlockwise resulted in groans of pain and
opposition from the clockwork mech giving the impression that it didn't
like going in that direction.
--
fred
time for a new sig I think . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jkn jkn is offline

In article , Huge
writes
On 2011-10-26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done,

Yes.

)

Do they all have that silly, non resettable clockwork timer?

On the grounds that they don't have a "silly, non resettable clockwork timer",
then no.

Hmm - really? We have a 3-slot Dualit (not 'Lite') and I hadn't
realised that the timer could be turned anti-clockwise (ie. reducing
the time set).

As fred says, it gives the impression of not liking the idea. My
attempts have been pretty gentle though; if the consensus is that you
can indeed do this then I'll give it more of a bash.

As others have mentioned in uk.d-i-y, they work better with a short
'warm-up' period; I set the timer for (say) 3 mins, then actually put
the bread in at about 2mins.

Cheers
Jon N

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 11:12*am, Gordon Henderson
wrote:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

Cheers,

Gordon

The old Dualits are very good toasters, but imho are rather
overpriced. Why I've never encountered a modern one that makes toast
as well I find hard to understand, the technology is very basic.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:35:07 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

"Real" Dualit - maybe, but v. expensive.

And well worth it :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

swmbo bought a Dualit toaster, and we have (both) not been
particularly happy with it. It takes an age to toast things (we tend
to have quite heavy breads), and doesn't do it very evenly.

I also don't like the clockwork timer. I much preferred our old
electrical one where you pressed a button, the toast popped up, and
the timer stopped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

"Real" Dualit - maybe, but v. expensive.

And well worth it :-)

I've never regretted getting one 10 years ago - but then I bought it
secondhand from a catering equipment shop for less than half price.
They sold out quite quickly...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The new ones are Chinese (- Japanese. Don't forget to wash your
knees!).

Say no more ...

I also don't like the clockwork timer. I much preferred our old
electrical one where you pressed a button, the toast popped up, and
the timer stopped.

The clockwork timers are a particular problem. They are unreliable and
replacements are expensive

Derek G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

The problem with pop-up (when it works!) is that the toast gets cold a
lot quicker out of the machine. It's much better to leave it in there
until _you_ want to take it out to butter it...

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to
pop-up in a timely manner.

In the spirit of the group, make one. Couple of cooker hob elements, a
timer, some microswitches and relays, a few springs, and a bit of sheet
metal... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine :
The problem with pop-up (when it works!) is that the toast gets cold a
lot quicker out of the machine. It's much better to leave it in there
until _you_ want to take it out to butter it...

That's if you like your butter melted. I prefer it not melted, so
cooling quickly is a Good Thing. Having said that, our Tefal toaster
pops it up only a little and you need to press a lever to raise it more.
That's better than popping it right out onto the floor, though.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jules Richardson writes:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to
pop-up in a timely manner.

In the spirit of the group, make one. Couple of cooker hob elements, a
timer, some microswitches and relays, a few springs, and a bit of sheet
metal... ;-)

I did when I was at university.

It was a grill actually, built into the side of a biscuit tin.
The element was a toaster element flipped horizontal, but I had
rewound it to make the heat output more even (toaster elements
have proportionally higher output at the bottom) and to increase
the power output a bit.

It had two power settings, depending on if a series diode was
switched in or out of the circuit. It worked brilliantly.
When not in use, it sat on my self and looked just like a
biscuit tin. (We were not allowed cooking appliances in the
hall of residence.) It cooked many pork chops, bacon, toast,
and other things. I thought the cooking smell would get me
caught one day, but it never did.

Much to my annoyance, it has vanished. I certainly never
chucked it out, although not used since university. I have
searched for it a few times for its nostalgic value, but I
can't find it. I only have the little grill pan left which I
bought for it (and is still really useful as a 1-chop grill pan).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Jules Richardson writes:
[...]

I never knew toast could be this complicated, our toaster is 20 years old
and basic.
Has some heat settings and press a button if you want to cut short the toast
time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-10-26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done,

Yes.

)

+1

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the
choice of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

Some people love Dualits and defend all their failings (many in
common with other toasters) with a vigour that equals the venom used
against Dyson vacuum cleaners.

No toaster is consistent between consequative slices, this is the
major failing IMHO but it's not an easy problem to solve. Personally
Dualits are expensive objects for poseurs. If I was going for a
toaster I'd go for summat from the middle range of a known brand but
without bells and whistles of a display or other gimicks.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the
choice of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

Some people love Dualits and defend all their failings (many in
common with other toasters) with a vigour that equals the venom used
against Dyson vacuum cleaners.

No toaster is consistent between consequative slices, this is the
major failing IMHO but it's not an easy problem to solve. Personally
Dualits are expensive objects for poseurs. If I was going for a
toaster I'd go for summat from the middle range of a known brand but
without bells and whistles of a display or other gimicks.

I've often meant to try Paul Hogan's method (from the show) of hanging the
bread on a nail and running a blowtorch over it.

Toast ideally needs to be made with a very hot grill for a short time to
avoid drying out too much.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 8:49*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Jules Richardson writes:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to
pop-up in a timely manner.

In the spirit of the group, make one. Couple of cooker hob elements, a
timer, some microswitches and relays, a few springs, and a bit of sheet
metal... ;-)

I did when I was at university.

One enterprising student at my university decided to adapt his toaster
as a toasted-sandwich maker by turning it on its side and inserting
bread and cheese. Result - cheese/element interaction, copious volumes
of smoke, fire alarms, fire brigade, etc...

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:58:11 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the
choice of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

Some people love Dualits and defend all their failings (many in common
with other toasters) with a vigour that equals the venom used against
Dyson vacuum cleaners.

No toaster is consistent between consequative slices, this is the major
failing IMHO but it's not an easy problem to solve. Personally Dualits
are expensive objects for poseurs. If I was going for a toaster I'd go
for summat from the middle range of a known brand but without bells and
whistles of a display or other gimicks.

Are there any Internet-capable toasters yet?

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 23:47:35 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:58:11 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the
choice of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

Some people love Dualits and defend all their failings (many in
common with other toasters) with a vigour that equals the venom used
against Dyson vacuum cleaners.

No toaster is consistent between consequative slices, this is the
major failing IMHO but it's not an easy problem to solve. Personally
Dualits are expensive objects for poseurs. If I was going for a
toaster I'd go for summat from the middle range of a known brand but
without bells and whistles of a display or other gimicks.

Are there any Internet-capable toasters yet?

There was the famous object-oriented toaster from the 80s IIRC. Didn't
the King have the computer scientist responsible thrown in the moat?

I only ask because ours has an unused network socket next to it.

OTOH, it's a Dualit and won't wear out for years!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-10-26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done,

Yes.

)

+1

50 to 200 quid for a toaster? I'd rather get wifey to use the grill (better
toast IMHO).
Plus, are they repeatable? i.e, do the first slices (from cold) toast the
same as the next ones?
For that kind of money they should pop-up pre-buttered

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:58:11 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the
choice of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

Some people love Dualits and defend all their failings (many in common
with other toasters) with a vigour that equals the venom used against
Dyson vacuum cleaners.

No toaster is consistent between consequative slices, this is the major
failing IMHO but it's not an easy problem to solve. Personally Dualits
are expensive objects for poseurs. If I was going for a toaster I'd go
for summat from the middle range of a known brand but without bells and
whistles of a display or other gimicks.

Are there any Internet-capable toasters yet?

Ahhhh, that's what you need, a USB toaster with at least a dual-core
processor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

I've got a 'proper' Dualit. It's rubbish. I certainly wouldn't
recommend them to anyone. Best way to make toast as far as I am
concerned is under the (gas) grill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 23:17, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 21:58:11 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the
choice of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

Some people love Dualits and defend all their failings (many in common
with other toasters) with a vigour that equals the venom used against
Dyson vacuum cleaners.

No toaster is consistent between consequative slices, this is the major
failing IMHO but it's not an easy problem to solve. Personally Dualits
are expensive objects for poseurs. If I was going for a toaster I'd go
for summat from the middle range of a known brand but without bells and
whistles of a display or other gimicks.

Are there any Internet-capable toasters yet?

Yup, there is one that will toast a weather forecast for the day onto
the bread for you!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:39:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
I've often meant to try Paul Hogan's method (from the show) of hanging
the bread on a nail and running a blowtorch over it.

Toast ideally needs to be made with a very hot grill for a short time to
avoid drying out too much.

When I was a kid, I used to often stick slices on a fork and hold them
over the 'leccy hob element on the cooker. The fork handle would get
rather hot to the touch, and the bread needed rotating often to stop it
from curling (failure to do so would inevitably lead to contact with the
element, and flames) - but the taste was fantastic.

I think you're right - the "trick" is cooking the outsides nicely without
drying them out all the way through.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 11:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

Been very happy with a Tefal Avanti Deluxe for the last 10 years or
more. Does 1 to 4 slices, has independent browning settings for each
pair of slots. Takes tick slices, has toast from frozen and reheat
settings as well. Nice consistent results. Has extra buttons to raise
small items (like crumpets etc) further out of the slots to save having
to stick your fingers in after them!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 2:26*am, John Rumm wrote:
settings as well. Nice consistent results. Has extra buttons to raise
small items (like crumpets etc) further out of the slots to save having
to stick your fingers in after them!

Why not just fish them out with a fork? Girly types can switch off at
the wall socket first if they like.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:48:43 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

Frank Erskine :
The problem with pop-up (when it works!) is that the toast gets cold a
lot quicker out of the machine. It's much better to leave it in there
until _you_ want to take it out to butter it...

That's if you like your butter melted. I prefer it not melted, so
cooling quickly is a Good Thing. Having said that, our Tefal toaster
pops it up only a little and you need to press a lever to raise it more.
That's better than popping it right out onto the floor, though.

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

I still can't see exactly why a toaster needs to 'pop up' its
product, even if only partially. Isn't this just a 50s" instant
automation") sort of idea?

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct, 23:17, Bob Eager wrote:

Are there any Internet-capable toasters yet?

--

These are a bit old hat. I am surprised no-one has suggested the
ground breaking talkie toaster.

Toaster: Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster,
your chirpy breakfast companion.
Talkie's the name, toasting's the game. Anyone like any toast?

Lister: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.
In fact, no one around here wants any toast.
Not now, not ever. No toast.

Toaster: How 'bout a muffin?

Lister: Or muffins. We don't like muffins around here.
We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or
bagels, no croissants,
no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and
definitely no smegging flapjacks.

Toaster: Aah, so you're a waffle man.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Marmite (was Toasters)

On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or
garden Marmite?

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I
was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick enough that
peaks left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not
any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 11:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

[snip]

FWIW: Which? Magazine, Toasters, Feb 2011
http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf...ers-243038.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:47:23 +0100, Andrew May
wrote:

On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or
garden Marmite?

It's much tastier.

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I
was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Probably peoples' taste buds are poorer than they were; maybe as a
result of stronger-tasting foods such as curries and the like.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2011 07:13, Halmyre wrote:
On Oct 27, 2:26 am, John wrote:
settings as well. Nice consistent results. Has extra buttons to raise
small items (like crumpets etc) further out of the slots to save having
to stick your fingers in after them!

Why not just fish them out with a fork? Girly types can switch off at
the wall socket first if they like.

Why bother when there is a button to do it? Its not the key reason for
the choice of toaster, but it was a nice addition.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 2:26*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:39:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
I've often meant to try Paul Hogan's method (from the show) of hanging
the bread on a nail and running a blowtorch over it.

Toast ideally needs to be made with a very hot grill for a short time to
avoid drying out too much.

When I was a kid, I used to often stick slices on a fork and hold them
over the 'leccy hob element on the cooker. The fork handle would get
rather hot to the touch, and the bread needed rotating often to stop it
from curling (failure to do so would inevitably lead to contact with the
element, and flames) - but the taste was fantastic.

That's what they make toasting forks for - I remember using one as a
student, to toast crumpets using the gas fire - you could make toast,
too, but it was more difficult to hold the slice of bread securely.
Thinking back even further, at school I used to work in the school
printing room - we would toast our sandwiches on an electric fire (the
sort with a long coiled element laid into grooves in a ceramic slab)
tipped over on its back. We made a rack to lay the sandwiches on out
of wire and spare pieces of furniture*.

*furniture - printing term for strips of metal or wood (probably
plastic now) used to create the blank spaces in and around the metal
type