Posted to uk.d-i-y
docholliday docholliday is offline

Default Toasters

On Oct 27, 2:26*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:39:34 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
I've often meant to try Paul Hogan's method (from the show) of hanging
the bread on a nail and running a blowtorch over it.

Toast ideally needs to be made with a very hot grill for a short time to
avoid drying out too much.

When I was a kid, I used to often stick slices on a fork and hold them
over the 'leccy hob element on the cooker. The fork handle would get
rather hot to the touch, and the bread needed rotating often to stop it
from curling (failure to do so would inevitably lead to contact with the
element, and flames) - but the taste was fantastic.

That's what they make toasting forks for - I remember using one as a
student, to toast crumpets using the gas fire - you could make toast,
too, but it was more difficult to hold the slice of bread securely.
Thinking back even further, at school I used to work in the school
printing room - we would toast our sandwiches on an electric fire (the
sort with a long coiled element laid into grooves in a ceramic slab)
tipped over on its back. We made a rack to lay the sandwiches on out
of wire and spare pieces of furniture*.

*furniture - printing term for strips of metal or wood (probably
plastic now) used to create the blank spaces in and around the metal
type