Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toasters

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:36:19 +0100, Allan
wrote:

On 26/10/2011 11:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

[snip]

FWIW: Which? Magazine, Toasters, Feb 2011
http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf...ers-243038.pdf

I bought several cheap/mid-price toasters including ones recommended
by Which? They were all ****e and were taken back for refunds.

I eventually bought a Magimix ("Le Toaster") which was expensive but
it did work.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Marmite (was Toasters)

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:47:23 +0100, Andrew May
wrote:

On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or
garden Marmite?

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I
was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick enough that
peaks left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not
any more.

I will eat Marmite, that is, I don't find it disgusting like some of
the ads try to say. But I *prefer* Bovril which is now back to its
original beefy recipe.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson
wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

Cheers,

Gordon

Having tried various toasters over the years the only reliable one is
a human called Jeeves who delivers the toast exactly the way you like
it. Sadly, I haven't won the lottery yet so I have no Jeeves. The next
best thing is to do toast under the grill and watch it constantly.

Relying on a toaster is not very reliable. Change bread type from one
week to the next and the toast is toast! I'm forever twiddling the
little knob. Some would say it's a fetish. But there's nothing more
irritating than having scrambled egg just about ready and the toaster
starts smoking.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2011 08:47, Andrew May wrote:
On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or
garden Marmite?

Not been personally convinced that the "specials" have been that much
different - noticeable yes, but quite often subtle.

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I

Don't really think so.

was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Some find their taste sensitivity declines with age. Its also what one
gets used to. I expect the current version is probably lower salt, and
that may affect one's perception of the strength of taste.

Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick enough that
peaks left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not
any more.

Much depends on temperature (and how much butter and how many crumbs get
dropped in the jar!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 11:19*am, John Rumm wrote:

Not been personally convinced that the "specials" have been that much
different - noticeable yes, but quite often subtle.

Did you try the Guinness one? I thought that was bloody awful!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Oct, 22:44, Halmyre wrote:
On Oct 26, 8:49*pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:

In article ,
* * * * Jules Richardson writes:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to
pop-up in a timely manner.

In the spirit of the group, make one. Couple of cooker hob elements, a
timer, some microswitches and relays, a few springs, and a bit of sheet
metal... ;-)

I did when I was at university.

One enterprising student at my university decided to adapt his toaster
as a toasted-sandwich maker by turning it on its side and inserting
bread and cheese. Result - cheese/element interaction, copious volumes
of smoke, fire alarms, fire brigade, etc...

--
Halmyre

we're on our second Dualit. Original didn't match the new kitchen. The
instructions on the original one mentioned winding back the timer to
zero. Instructions on second one have no mention of this. It certainly
doesn't feel right when you do it.

Dont, DONT, DONT buy a Dualit kettle. Second one has just failed after
about a year. First one failed after a very short period also and my
suggestion as to not buying another one as they were rubbish was
dismissed as the colour was just perfect for the kitchen. Its nice to
be able to say "I told you so"

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 02:22:00 +0100, John Rumm wrote:
Are there any Internet-capable toasters yet?

Yup, there is one that will toast a weather forecast for the day onto
the bread for you!

Do you know how the mechanism works?

Years ago I was idly pondering how to build a toaster that could toast an
arbitrary design into a slice of bread - as it would have been intended
as an exhibit piece rather than a practical appliance it didn't really
matter if it was the size of a fridge, power hungry, belched steam etc.
so long as a piece of toast with an inputted design on it resulted
(actually all those things would just add to the charm

I never did quite get around tuit, though. It's not obvious what the best
mechanism for allowing a freeform design (or even a pixellated approach
on some form of grid) would be, though (at least not while making it
robust enough to survive sustained use)

I think I did once see a "weather toaster", but it used a selection of
pre-cut metal templates, which makes things a bit easier.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred :
Dont, DONT, DONT buy a Dualit kettle. Second one has just failed after
about a year.

On the other hand our Dualit coffee grinder has been faultless for
probably over ten years of daily use.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:44:54 -0700 (PDT), David Paste wrote:

Best way to make toast as far as I am concerned is under the (gas)
grill.

+1

For some reason designers of electric grills don't seem able to build
one that heats evenly over the entire pan area(*). The gas grill I
had managed this and had a far higher heat output so did excellent
toast quickly.

(*) They distrubute the heating element evenly over the pan area
instead of leaving the central area clear. With the even distribution
of heating element, the central area gets heat from the element above
it but also from the elements to the side so gets hotter than the
edges.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or
garden Marmite?

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I
was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick enough that
peaks left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not
any more.

*So* glad you raised this. I noticed the change in Marmite a year or
two ago: I was (and remain) convinced that they started adding more
water, to make it go further. (I must admit the taste doesn't seem that
different.)

THEN, earlier this year, I noticed the mysterious Marmite XO appear on
the shelves. I've never seen it advertised, so I don't know what the
rationale is (duh: I'll go to the Marmite website after this and see
what they say). My suspicion is that they're selling the "genuine old
stuff" for a premium price[1]. I haven't tried it yet.

My suspicion also is that the original Marmite company whoever they
were, were bought out by some fat-cat conglomerate, who put in their
'marketing people', and the rest is history. [Better than it
disappearing altogether I suppose!]

J.

[1] Not that the runny new stuff isn't also at a premium price!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Another John wrote:

[Snip]

My suspicion also is that the original Marmite company whoever they
were, were bought out by some fat-cat conglomerate, who put in their
'marketing people', and the rest is history. [Better than it
disappearing altogether I suppose!]

our present jar says "Unilever UK".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2011 13:01, David Paste wrote:
On Oct 27, 11:19 am, John wrote:

Not been personally convinced that the "specials" have been that much
different - noticeable yes, but quite often subtle.

Did you try the Guinness one? I thought that was bloody awful!

I did... did not think it was necessarily better or worse, but not
different enough to make me seek it out specially anyway.

(the new Guinness HP brown sauce on the other hand is well worth looking
out for IMO!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2011 14:15, Jules Richardson wrote:
[...]

You could probably scan the image with a high power laser!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:19:32 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

And it appears to absorb moisture over time.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:19:32 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Marmite Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick
enough that
peaks left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not
any more.

Much depends on temperature (and how much butter and how many crumbs get
dropped in the jar!)

And it appears to absorb moisture over time.

The viscosity also seemingly varies with the season. Summer Marmite
seems runnier than Winter Marmite. That's with fresh jars from the shop,
by the way, not jars that I've had in the cupboard for a while.

I don't use noticeably more at any particular time of the year, so I'd
say the taste stays more or less the same from batch to batch.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

Summer Marmite seems runnier than Winter Marmite.

Perhaps summer marmite has a splash of unleaded, like winter diesel?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 7:09*pm, John Rumm wrote:

(the new Guinness HP brown sauce on the other hand is well worth looking
out for IMO!)

Ooh, might have a look for that!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:49:45 +0100, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:

[...]

Not only are you spot on about the slight but noticeable watering down, it
was admitted at the time. I think part of the reason was the introduction
of the ghastly squeezy bottles.

Since then they have started to try out all sorts of Marmite flavoured
products - and not one of them would I thank you for.

Further, it is amazing that a standard jar is £2-68 in every shop I ever
see it in. Not a penny difference in the last few months. All matching
Tesco's inflated price.

(The one exception has been small jars at Asda - but they have *always*
sold out by the time I see the £1 offers.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:39:21 +0100, JohnW
wrote:

On 26 Oct, 23:17, Bob Eager wrote:

Are there any Internet-capable toasters yet?

--

These are a bit old hat. I am surprised no-one has suggested the
ground breaking talkie toaster.

Toaster: Howdy doodly do. How's it going? I'm Talkie, Talkie Toaster,
your chirpy breakfast companion.
Talkie's the name, toasting's the game. Anyone like any toast?

Lister: Look, I don't want any toast, and he doesn't want any toast.
In fact, no one around here wants any toast.
Not now, not ever. No toast.

Toaster: How 'bout a muffin?

Lister: Or muffins. We don't like muffins around here.
We want no muffins, no toast, no teacakes, no buns, baps, baguettes or
bagels, no croissants,
no crumpets, no pancakes, no potato cakes and no hot-cross buns and
definitely no smegging flapjacks.

Toaster: Aah, so you're a waffle man.

John

Sounds like an iToaster with Siri...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 02:26:08 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 26/10/2011 11:12, Gordon Henderson wrote:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to
pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the
choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

Been very happy with a Tefal Avanti Deluxe for the last 10 years or
more. Does 1 to 4 slices, has independent browning settings for each
pair of slots. Takes tick slices, has toast from frozen and reheat
settings as well. Nice consistent results. Has extra buttons to raise
small items (like crumpets etc) further out of the slots to save having
to stick your fingers in after them!

And I am very happy with my Kenwood TTM310 Virtu - extremely wide,
adjustable single slot. Toasting is not perfectly even but the ability to
handle rolls, croissants (even from frozen), and almost arbitrarily thick
slices is very good.

They were very expensive - but we got it as an end-of-line from Robert
Dyas on-line. So cheap we bought a second one as a future replacement -
currently in loft awaiting duty.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 15:34:10 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Just don't get an intelligent one with lcd screen and usb connection..
grin

Brian

Do you want toast?

Press enter.

Are you sure you want toast?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I
was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

How many years are we talking about, one of my early jobs was in a
brewery and Marmite sent their own Lorry to collect the yeast.
Never bought Marmite all the time I was there, Drive would trade a
huge jar of Marmite for a couple of pint bottles of Light ale.
That would be around 1974- 75 so the large jars were around then.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:49:45 +0100, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:

was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick enough that
peaks left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not
any more.

*So* glad you raised this. I noticed the change in Marmite a year or
two ago: I was (and remain) convinced that they started adding more
water, to make it go further. (I must admit the taste doesn't seem that
different.)

As I mentioned in my other post the Marmite Lorry would collect
surplus yeast from the Brewery I worked in,the Lorry would then go
onto a couple of others and collect from them before returning to
base.
All those brewerys were independent of each other and brewed different
beers. I think only one still exists now.
so I do wonder if the yeast that Marmite is made from no longer has
the subtle differences that the blends might have had one time.
Possibly the process is now "too perfect" and the result is now
uniform except when they deliberately alter it for a special.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 26 Oct,
Frank Erskine wrote:

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 12:35:07 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

"Real" Dualit - maybe, but v. expensive.

And well worth it :-)

My Dualit Coffee perculator wasn't, it only lasted 18 months. Neither is its
replacement, a Delonghi, which I expect will just outlast the 1 year
warranty.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 18:43, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Oct 26, 11:12 am, Gordon Henderson
swmbo bought a Dualit toaster, and we have (both) not been
particularly happy with it. It takes an age to toast things (we tend
to have quite heavy breads), and doesn't do it very evenly.

I find when the mica films inside get dirty, it does toast unevenly. Take the
top off and give the films a gentle wipe with a damp cloth.

I also don't like the clockwork timer. I much preferred our old
electrical one where you pressed a button, the toast popped up, and
the timer stopped.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2011 08:47, Andrew May wrote:
On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or garden
Marmite?

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I was
little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I now need to
spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as standard. Has it got weaker?

You not mixing it up with Sainsburys Yeast Extract from the '80s? That was
*very* thick, and beat Marmite for taste in my youth. Not sure that they have
made it for twenty five years now.

Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick enough that peaks
left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not any more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 11:19 am, John wrote:

Not been personally convinced that the "specials" have been that much
different - noticeable yes, but quite often subtle.

Did you try the Guinness one? I thought that was bloody awful!

I did... did not think it was necessarily better or worse, but not different
enough to make me seek it out specially anyway.

(the new Guinness HP brown sauce on the other hand is well worth looking out for
IMO!)

Tried the Worcestershire Source special edition? That is great on chips instead
of vinegar - it adds a little bite that the original sauce does not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 17:49:45 +0100, Another John
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew May wrote:

was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Also, my memory of it was that it was less cloudy and thick enough that
peaks left in the jar would still be there next time it was opened. Not
any more.

*So* glad you raised this. I noticed the change in Marmite a year or
two ago: I was (and remain) convinced that they started adding more
water, to make it go further. (I must admit the taste doesn't seem that
different.)

As I mentioned in my other post the Marmite Lorry would collect
surplus yeast from the Brewery I worked in,the Lorry would then go
onto a couple of others and collect from them before returning to
base.

In the '50s, Phipps in Northampton were one of the suppliers of yeast.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

Yeah, I bought one of those a few years back for my parents, after
seeing the in-laws one and thinking it pretty good.

However IIRC both have developed the same annoying fault niggling
rather than 'get a new one' - though I can't now remember what it is !

Still like our Dualit. Though whether I'd ever feel that I'd want to
spend that much on a toaster I dunno (it was a gift) And as someone else
mentioned. the timers seem a weak point. I replaced ours for the second
time this year (toaster 14 years old)
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2011 01:39, Jason wrote:

You not mixing it up with Sainsburys Yeast Extract from the '80s? That was
*very* thick, and beat Marmite for taste in my youth. Not sure that they have
made it for twenty five years now.

No. I am not sure I have ever tried that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-10-27, polygonum wrote:

Since then they have started to try out all sorts of Marmite flavoured
products - and not one of them would I thank you for.

ooh, but Marmite crisps and Marmite twiglets are yummy.

Don't try Marmite Cashew nuts. Twiglets are an abomination anyway.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2011 8:47 p.m., Andrew May wrote:
On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or
garden Marmite?

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I
was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Many things taste less strongly to me than they did 50 years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 11:12 p.m., Gordon Henderson wrote:
So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to pop-up
in a timely manner.

I recall from some postings here some time back that Dualit is the choice
of many, so wondering if that's still the learned opinion.

I don't want the Formula-1 of toasters, but neither do I want the
Morris Minor either. The ability to take 1 or 2 slices of irregular
sized home-made bread and produce toast in a moderate time period is
the requirement. No fancy settings for defrosting, bagels and the like,
nor an add-on egg poacher.

So is it Dualit and be done, or something else?

I like the toaster that we had when I was a kid. A folding down door on
either side, which you opened when the smoke started to come out of the
top. Perfect system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-10-28, Gib Bogle wrote:
On 27/10/2011 8:47 p.m., Andrew May wrote:
On 27/10/2011 08:13, Frank Erskine wrote:

The butter has to melt into the toast properly so that the ensuing
Marmite X-O then spreads correctly without 'curdling' too much.

Do you think that Marmite XO is significantly different from common or
garden Marmite?

And, on the subject of Marmite. Has it changed over the years? When I
was little, it came in small jars and had to be spread very thinly. I
now need to spread it much thicker and it comes in larger jars as
standard. Has it got weaker?

Many things taste less strongly to me than they did 50 years ago.

It's one of the multitude of "marvellous" things about getting old.

It's an advantage - I can scare kids by drinking neat "red hot pepper sauce"
(any brand available in supermarket) - they try one drop and their faces
dissolve.

Unfortunately, Mr Colon gets more cranky with such endeavours, but who
cares...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

I like the toaster that we had when I was a kid. A folding down door on
either side, which you opened when the smoke started to come out of the
top. Perfect system.

Not only that, as you folded it down, fingers on the door nudged
the bottom of the slice so it flipped over ready to repeat the
singeing of the other side.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-10-28, John Williamson wrote:
Huge wrote:

ooh, but Marmite crisps and Marmite twiglets are yummy.

Twiglets are an abomination anyway.

BURN THE UNBELIEVER!

I wish they would reintroduce the proper long ones. The present ones
are barely like a twig. sort of thing that will be done as a special
edition with an increased price.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:26:35 +0100, Andrew May
wrote:

How many years are we talking about, one of my early jobs was in a
brewery and Marmite sent their own Lorry to collect the yeast.

I guess I am thinking of about that time. Large jars were available but
one of the small jars would be fine for a family since it was spread so
thinly. Now it seems to need to be spread more thickly

I don't know if it is deliberate - it may be related to the gradual
decrease in availability of surplus yeast from local brewers that you
have alluded to.

There is another possibility though I don't want to put people off.
The collection bins when I was involved were metal not much different
in appearance to those plastic 4 wheeled bins used for commercial
rubbish collection from shops etc.
They were square and had a loose lid (brown with Marmite embossed on).
The surplus yeast from brewing was tipped into these where it was
wheeled outside whatever the weather. The yeast was fairly runny at
that stage and the contents of the bin looked like a bulk delivery of
cat poo and in hot weather the contents would get a bit warm. The lids
were not a particulary tight fit and flies etc could get in.
The lorry did not come every day. Sounds awful but if this was being
repeated all over the country again it might have had an influence on
the final flavour. Can't imagine the yeast is handled like that now
and todays product may be too pure.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 27, 11:19 am, John wrote:

Not been personally convinced that the "specials" have been that much
different - noticeable yes, but quite often subtle.

Did you try the Guinness one? I thought that was bloody awful!

I did... did not think it was necessarily better or worse, but not different
enough to make me seek it out specially anyway.

(the new Guinness HP brown sauce on the other hand is well worth looking out for
IMO!)

Tried the Worcestershire Source special edition? That is great on chips instead
of vinegar - it adds a little bite that the original sauce does not.

No not tried that. The Guinness one is nice with fish and chips - again
has a bit more "zing" to it. ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.