Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toasters

In article ,
Jules Richardson writes:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:32 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... It's getting on for new toaster time in the Henderson household -
our 20+ year old Philips Sunrise with it's single long-slot, while still
functional has lost some of it's appeal as well as it's ability to
pop-up in a timely manner.

In the spirit of the group, make one. Couple of cooker hob elements, a
timer, some microswitches and relays, a few springs, and a bit of sheet
metal... ;-)

I did when I was at university.

It was a grill actually, built into the side of a biscuit tin.
The element was a toaster element flipped horizontal, but I had
rewound it to make the heat output more even (toaster elements
have proportionally higher output at the bottom) and to increase
the power output a bit.

It had two power settings, depending on if a series diode was
switched in or out of the circuit. It worked brilliantly.
When not in use, it sat on my self and looked just like a
biscuit tin. (We were not allowed cooking appliances in the
hall of residence.) It cooked many pork chops, bacon, toast,
and other things. I thought the cooking smell would get me
caught one day, but it never did.

Much to my annoyance, it has vanished. I certainly never
chucked it out, although not used since university. I have
searched for it a few times for its nostalgic value, but I
can't find it. I only have the little grill pan left which I
bought for it (and is still really useful as a 1-chop grill pan).

--
Andrew Gabriel