Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 27, 9:42*am, "Dave East" wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Look on the bright side - they may not live long and your problems
will be solved!
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"cynic" wrote in message
On Aug 27, 9:42 am, "Dave East" wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Look on the bright side - they may not live long and your problems
will be solved!

Thanks. But they are all young and look really healthy.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it
on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it
be a waste of time?

Just be grateful it's not a barbecue.

--
*Never test the depth of the water with both feet.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave East
writes
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Sometimes a thick hedge between them and you could help. Trees and
shrubs are supposed to absorb pollution aren't they? If not, lots of
strong smelling stuff on boundary like rosemary, pennyroayl, mint, even
curry plants! Sacha and i would recommend Salvia turkestanica
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Dave East" wrote in message
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Must be pretty bad for you to smell the smoke to such a degree!

Bill

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it
on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

A smoker by any chance?

Mike

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

That sounds like a lot of expense and trouble. Presumably both
households sit out in the garden regularly and, presumably need to sit
close to the shared boundary? What establishes the boundary at the
moment ... a fence .. a hedge .. chainlink?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

Typical smoker's reply.

Well, if we ignore the obvious trolling and prejudice, cigarette
smoke makes a lot of people with breathing problems cough very
badly. I am one. I have never minded pipe or cigar smoke, so
was always very annoyed that the airlines used to allow cigarettes
but not those AND place the smokers near the air inlets rather
than outlets.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate
just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to
others.
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Thieving *******. That's smoke that was paid for by someone else.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27 Aug, 09:42, "Dave East" wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

There are three ways of approaching this in order of preference I
suggest
a) speak to them nicely and lie and say that one of you is suffering
from an allergy that MIGHT result in an anaphalactic (sp?) fit (with a
small but significant risk of death) if she/he has one as a result of
exposure to cigarette smoke and that you both suffer from sneezing and
watering eyes when this happens. Could they please be kind enough to
note the wind direction and not smoke in the garden when the wind is
coming towards you and you are in the garden

b) absent a cooperative response simply build a large fence 6' 6" high
adorned on the far side with lots of no-smoking symbols subtly
engraved or spayed in wood preservative so that they are dicernable
but not TOO obvious and grow a dense hedge as well as suggested to
take over above 6'6" in due course

c) lastly, you have a right to peaceful enjoyment of your property and
the intrusion of bonfire smoke cigarette smoke excessive noise
vibrations or ANYTHING that causes a nuisance in law you can get an
injunction to stop them doing. It might be that you can take air
samples and provide the evidence to the EHO!!! That would be a first.

Chris
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article , Interloper
writes
Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate
just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to
others.

Actually there are some areas where ground and location mean that the
smoke and smell lingers far longer than is normal. You sometimes get in
in areas around offices when people are accustomed to smoke . You seem
to get a sudden blast of it as you walk through the area. Maybe the OP's
garden is such an area.

Cook curry or burn lots of toast is my only other advice
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 16:20, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Thieving *******. That's smoke that was paid for by someone else.

The sponger probably jumps the queue in hospitals as well.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate
just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to
others.

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Clearly irritated and devoid of anything intelligent to say, "The Medway
Handyman" responded:

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Well, that's certainly rattled your cage! The truth hits home hard, doesn't
it?
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking whilst in
an office environment.

I would also like to add that the treatment that I received in hospital
recently when I firs,t had a quadruple heart by pass, followed by a LUNG
decortication, was enhanced because I didn't smoke and NEVER HAD SMOKED

Come off your 'I know my rights' high horse. YOU pollute the air I breath. I
don't pollute the air you breath.

We have the same argument with you very selfish polluters on the cruise
ships. I cruise a lot and have to endure you polluting MY balcony.

If you were meant to smoke, you would have been born with a chimney out of
you head.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate
just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to
others.

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the world will do.

Presumably you are a cancerous vulgarious, otherwise you would appreciate
just how abhorrent the putrid stench of second-hand tobacco smoke is to
others.

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Oh for feck sake.
To the OP...
If you are simply trying to find a way to live harmoniously with your
neighbours without having to smell their fags then yes, get a fan, get 10
of 'em. Get an industrial turbo prop type one. Buy some scented candles and
burn them on the very few occasions in this country when it's dry and warm
enough to sit in the garden. Get citronella ones and you can also keep away
the damn wasps and midges (I think). Sit at the other end of the garden if
it's big enough.

If on the other hand you want to make an issue out of your neighbour being
a smoker because you're not and don't agree with it then please pick
another forum where you can find lots of people who also think there should
be a law against it. Until such law exists, he/she/they have as much right
to the air as you do.

It's the same with bonfires... You have as much right to have one as does
your neighbour to hang their washing out. Only when the authorities uphold
a complaint of it being a nuiscance are you asked to desist and believe me,
once every 6 months doesn't constitute a nuisance.

And yes, I too am a smoker. I have my suspicions that the OT may have been
intended to spark a row, cos the solution seems quite obvious.

I wonder If the OP lives anywhere near a main road/factory/pub/curry
house/farm/etc

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 09:42:14 +0100, "Dave East"
wrote:

Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Shout "Fire! Fire!" and throw a bucket of water over the fence.
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would
be it be a waste of time?

I would wait until the wind blows their way and then set fire to a couple of
car tyres.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Dean Heighington wrote:
I have my suspicions that the OT may have been
intended to spark a row, cos the solution seems quite obvious.

In one. And it worked.

No-one is going to suffer from passive smoking outdoors. Annoying,
possibly. But then so are lots of things neighbours do.

--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Dean Heighington wrote:
I have my suspicions that the OT may have been
intended to spark a row, cos the solution seems quite obvious.

In one. And it worked.

No-one is going to suffer from passive smoking outdoors. Annoying,
possibly. But then so are lots of things neighbours do.

It depends on how concentrated. It can certainly be very unpleasant going
into a building past all the smokers at the door.

PS I did smoke (a pipe) until the BBC gave me Legionaires' Disease. (1988)
Not a comfortable way to give up smoking.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 17:37, 'Mike' wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking whilst in
an office environment.

Alas she didn't. Nice try, no cigar.

Come off your 'I know my rights' high horse. YOU pollute the air I breath. I
don't pollute the air you breath.

So you don't drive a car, heat your house, use aerosols or fart then?

We have the same argument with you very selfish polluters on the cruise
ships. I cruise a lot and have to endure you polluting MY balcony.

Cruising? Ohh Err Missus.

If you were meant to smoke, you would have been born with a chimney out of
you head.

If we weren't meant to smoke, why did God invent tobacco?

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 17:34, Interloper wrote:
Clearly irritated and devoid of anything intelligent to say, "The Medway
Handyman" responded:

Presumably you are a pompous ****.

Well, that's certainly rattled your cage! The truth hits home hard, doesn't
it?

It seems I was 100& correct first time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 18:46, charles wrote:
In ,
Dave Plowman wrote:
In article
,
Dean wrote:
I have my suspicions that the OT may have been
intended to spark a row, cos the solution seems quite obvious.

In one. And it worked.

No-one is going to suffer from passive smoking outdoors. Annoying,
possibly. But then so are lots of things neighbours do.

It depends on how concentrated. It can certainly be very unpleasant going
into a building past all the smokers at the door.

Serves the non smokers right for forcing the smokers outside.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In a state of delirium , "The Medway Handyman" leapt upon an unsuspecting
keyboard and mistyped:

It seems I was 100& correct first time.

It seems you are hallucinating on the narcotic properties of the alkaloid
agricultural insecticide you are addicted to.
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Shout "Fire! Fire!" and throw a bucket of water over the fence.

I'd have thought that this thread is just a big wind up.
Otherwise think about moving house, as they have every right to smoke
on their own property.
I havn't smoked for almost 50 years so am not a fanatical smoker with
an axe to grind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article
-septem
ber.org,
Dean Heighington wrote:
I have my suspicions that the OT may have been
intended to spark a row, cos the solution seems quite obvious.

In one. And it worked.

:-)

No-one is going to suffer from passive smoking outdoors. Annoying,
possibly. But then so are lots of things neighbours do.

True. I have always been fortunate in not having near neighbours but I
am downwind from the local allotments and a stable who burn (smoulder)
their bedding.

I suspect smokers may become defective in the sense of smell dept. (no
offence intended to TMHM:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Dave Hill" wrote:

I'd have thought that this thread is just a big wind up.

Well it will be if the OP gets that fan working :-)
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 19:36, Interloper wrote:
In a state of delirium , "The Medway Handyman" leapt upon an unsuspecting
keyboard and mistyped:

It seems I was 100& correct first time.

It seems you are hallucinating on the narcotic properties of the alkaloid
agricultural insecticide you are addicted to.

No, you are still a pompous ****.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Unable to think up a new insult, "The Medway Handyman" reiterated:

No, you are still a pompous ****.

OK TMH, it's been fun bandying words with an archetypical, arrogant smoker,
but I can't justify any more of today in a battle of wits against an unarmed
adversary.

Stay healthy (and those around you who have to suffer your noxious
exhalation).

Anon,
--
Interloper

BTW, feel free to have the last word ;-)

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 19:01:26 +0100, David Rance wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to
it and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Ronnie Scott.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Interloper" wrote in message
"Dave Hill" wrote:

I'd have thought that this thread is just a big wind up.

Well it will be if the OP gets that fan working :-)

Bit of a waste of time though.
A refrigerant gas leak might work, get the right one and it turns to
phosgene as it gets heated in the fag.
I don't think assisted suicide is wrong so I wouldn't worry about speeding
it up for them.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Aug 2011, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

Roy Castle, the entertainer.

Nope.

It is well documented that Roy Castle did die of passive smoking, but if
you are simply going to contradict anyone who doesn't agree with you
then I shall not waste my time with you.

Bon weekend!

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Neighbours can be a PITA brass monkey UK diy 92 July 8th 10 05:26 PM
Neighbours! Upscale Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 January 15th 09 02:18 PM
Neighbours house. Arthur2 UK diy 13 September 1st 08 10:47 PM
The neighbours can hear us! niavasha UK diy 15 September 30th 05 11:00 AM
Noisy neighbours Mark Home Repair 29 December 18th 04 03:05 PM