Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

dennis@home wrote:
"charles" wrote in message
In article , dennis@home
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he
worked in and where smoking was rampant. For further information
see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all
your life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.

not if your job depends on it.

That's why we have a smoking ban, you can't go into smoke filled rooms
because of your job anymore.

Well that's the firemen out of a job.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Having analysed the various passive smoking arguments, "Keith" made the
following contribution to the discussion:

I believe that you are a ****wit. Is that good enough for you?

Rather like 'TMH', if the best you can come up with is a personal insult,
then you have lost the argument.

When you have an IQ lower than your shoe size, it's usually best to keep
quiet.
--
Interloper

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 21:07:19 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"charles" wrote in message

Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he
worked in and where smoking was rampant. For further information
see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all
your life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.

not if your job depends on it.

That's why we have a smoking ban, you can't go into smoke filled rooms
because of your job anymore.

Well that's the firemen out of a job.

No. They wear breathing apparatus. Rather difficult for performers to
do that.
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:
So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench on
others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.
He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.
He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.
He's happy to ignore these things.
He's a smoker.

AKA a drug addict.

Nicotine has been shown to be more addictive than heroin in a
controlled, peer-reviewed, experiment involving American college students.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

I had some respect for you up to that point.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Roy Castle?

Most of the people I know who don't want anyone smoking near them are
not overly concerned about passive smoking, they just can't stand the
odour, the sore eyes, the sore throat and the smelly clothes they end up
with from being around smokers.

As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away! It's a foul odour that travels considerable distances. My
wife is an ex-smoker (she promised her father a month before he was
diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and other than one lapse, she has
stuck to it), she frequently comments that she's amazed how she could
ever have smoked, as she too can't stand the smell.

During the summer when it is hot we naturally like our patio door and
windows open to get a breeze. At night we sleep with our bedroom window
open. Our neighbours have a young child so they go outside to smoke and
we end up suffering their smoke. We either have to put up with it or
close the windows and struggle to sleep 'cos of the heat.

The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.
Secondly, every time one of the smokers tried to give up, the others
would smoke in front of them and each time they lit up, they'd offer
them one - as if they couldn't stand letting one get away!

However, I do think that the coucils that are trying to ban smokers from
lighting up in the street, parks, etc. are going too far; similarly with
the existing ban on smoking in company vehicles; and also the hospitals
and companies that ban employees from smoking in their own cars in their
car-parks.

SteveW
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 17:37, 'Mike' wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking
whilst in
an office environment.

Alas she didn't. Nice try, no cigar.

Come off your 'I know my rights' high horse. YOU pollute the air I
breath. I
don't pollute the air you breath.

So you don't drive a car, heat your house, use aerosols or fart then?

Ah, the defence that all smokers resort to in the end. The difference is
that all the above serve useful purposes and the pollution is an
unfortunately necessary byproduct of that function, whereas smoking
simply prevents the addict's withdrawal symptoms as the previous fix
wears off.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
wrote:
In ,
Dave Plowman wrote:
In article
,
Dean wrote:
I have my suspicions that the OT may have been
intended to spark a row, cos the solution seems quite obvious.

In one. And it worked.

No-one is going to suffer from passive smoking outdoors. Annoying,
possibly. But then so are lots of things neighbours do.

It depends on how concentrated. It can certainly be very unpleasant
going into a building past all the smokers at the door.

I can see that as you're close to them. Not so close if you're next door.
Of course blame the law for your situation. A room provided for smokers
with decent filtration and extraction (as before the law changed) saved
such things.

It certainly did and I'm all for re-introducing it. However, it did not
solve the problem of pubs, restaurants, etc. and the idea of smoking and
non-smoking areas in those just didn't work - in another post in this
thread, I have commented that a group of us (mainly non-smokers) used to
go out together and if even one smoker was with us, we'd all have to sit
in the smoking area, as otherwise the smoker would winge all night to
the extent of ruining everyone elses' night out.

SteveW
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 19:41, Ron Lowe wrote:
On 27/08/2011 20:44, Interloper wrote:
Unable to think up a new insult, "The Medway Handyman" reiterated:

No, you are still a pompous ****.

OK TMH, it's been fun bandying words with an archetypical, arrogant
smoker,
but I can't justify any more of today in a battle of wits against an
unarmed
adversary.

Still being a pompous **** I see. At least you are consistent.

So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench on
others?

No. I think its perfectly reasonable to have smoking & non smoking
areas. It's called 'choice'.

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

I think a straight '**** off' would suffice.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 20:45, Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron wrote:

On 27/08/2011 20:44, Interloper wrote:
Unable to think up a new insult, "The Medway Handyman" reiterated:

No, you are still a pompous ****.

OK TMH, it's been fun bandying words with an archetypical, arrogant
smoker,
but I can't justify any more of today in a battle of wits against an
unarmed
adversary.

Still being a pompous **** I see. At least you are consistent.

So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench on
others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.

Oh no he doesn't.

He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.

Nope, wrong again.

He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.

Like many other things can.

He's happy to ignore these things.

No I'm not.

He's a smoker.

You are a fascist.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 22:36, John Williamson wrote:
Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 19:41:10 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:
So you think it's perfectly reasonable to inflict your smoking stench
on others?

A straight 'yes' will suffice.

Of course he does.
He doesn't care that it causes other people to cough,make their eyes
sore and their clothes smell.
He doesn't care that it may start an asthmatic attack.
He's happy to ignore these things.
He's a smoker.

AKA a drug addict.

AKA someone indulging in a perfectly legal activity.

Nicotine has been shown to be more addictive than heroin in a
controlled, peer-reviewed, experiment involving American college students.

Strange but true, many people make the positive choice to be smokers.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2011 23:41, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

If we weren't meant to smoke, why did God invent tobacco?

Oh come now Our Dave. You may as well say that if we weren't meant to
jump off cliffs why did he invent Beachy Head?

'Mike' made the inane comment "If you were meant to smoke, you would
have been born with a chimney out of you head".

I was merely being as ridiculous as he was.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

That was when most people didn't think smoking harmed them.
Now the sensible ones have realised the truth and stopped.
The ones that continue also don't believe smoking harms others.
Not really surprising as there are a lot of fools about.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:29, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/08/2011 17:37, 'Mike' wrote:
"The Medway wrote in message
[...]

Farting serves a useful purpose?

whereas smoking
simply prevents the addict's withdrawal symptoms as the previous fix
wears off.

The ploy anti smokers always resort to in the end.

Perhaps you could cite an incident of a smoker mugging someone to get a
'fix'?

I would remind you that smoking is a perfectly legal activity that makes
an important contribution to Govmint funds.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 10:20, Peter James wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article1k6pbn0.zrjw1i1dikjd4N%pfjames2000@googlem ail.com,
Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your
life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

There is conclusive evidence to link active smoking with lung cancer.
Passive smoking is however a myth.

I believe that there is link, but I also believe that the increased risk
is probably low enough for me to ignore. I cannot however ignore the
awful smell, the affect on my eyes and my throat or the smell on my
clothes and my hair the next morning.

For two and a half years I was suffering from asthma (still do of
course) and pulmonary sarcoidosis (declared clear just over a year ago),
yet "friends" still insisted on smoking around me.

SteveW
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 19:35, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Aug 2011 17:37:43 +0100,
wrote:

"The Medway wrote in message
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on to
it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the
world will do.

Margaret Horsborough
25 Colchester Road
Leicester

My next door neighbour when I lived in Leicester in the 60's and 70's

A non smoker, died of Lung Cancer due to secondary/passive smoking whilst
in
an office environment.

Was this the result of an autopsy - or just your guess.
Did it say on the death certificate : Lung Cancer caused by passive
smoking?

- or are you just guessing or suggesting that Lung Cancer is *only* caused
by
inhaling cigarette smoke?

Oh dear :-((

Oh dear, oh dear.

Another smoker trying to justify their addiction to the obnoxious weed.

Another non smoker unable to support his biased opinion.

Why can't they just admit that they are wrong, pack up their vile habit and
stop polluting the air WE breath and the pavements with their dog ends?

Why can't you appreciate that anally retentive, small minded people like
you will believe anything that supports your cause?

Many of your habits might well be vile to me.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

--
*24 hours in a day ... 24 beers in a case ... coincidence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

I can see that as you're close to them. Not so close if you're next door.
Of course blame the law for your situation. A room provided for smokers
with decent filtration and extraction (as before the law changed) saved
such things.

It certainly did and I'm all for re-introducing it.

That does not protect the staff from the effects of smoke which is a
requirement.
It is a requirement even if the staff are smokers.

If you did have smoking rooms you would have to issue safety gear to staff
and make sure they used it.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 21:43, Interloper wrote:
Having analysed the various passive smoking arguments, "Keith" made the
following contribution to the discussion:

I believe that you are a ****wit. Is that good enough for you?

Rather like 'TMH', if the best you can come up with is a personal insult,
then you have lost the argument.

When you have an IQ lower than your shoe size, it's usually best to keep
quiet.

Your stupidity is simply astounding.

Firstly you say "Rather like 'TMH', if the best you can come up with is
a personal insult, then you have lost the argument".

Followed by "When you have an IQ lower than your shoe size, it's usually
best to keep quiet".

So you have just lost the argument.

Please examine your feet for bullet wounds.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Dave East" wrote in message
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed up
with the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed it
on the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it
be a waste of time?

Try it. I wish my new neighbours would just smoke rather than only occupy
their house when they are going to have a huge party. A car blocked me
in, and I asked them to move (this was at 9a.m. and he said he would only
be there for a few minutes, so I agreed ok) It was there until 7 pm.
and there were people spilling into the street talking at the top of their
voices all day.
This is a quiet area, this is the 2nd noisy party in a few weeks. They
will not fit in if they continue.
They do not even seem to be living there, just using it for parties.
It drives me wild.
Tina

Looking at this from my viewpoint as a smoker.
If my neighbours objected to me smoking in my garden I doubt if I would do
much about it as I never smoke in the house as I (yip) hate the smell.
I also wont smoke in front of non smokers restuarants etc. I would probably
smoke at a point further away from the boundry if they approached me in a
mannerable way.
My neighbours have frequent BBQs which I hate (the smoke/smell) but as its
only once or twice a week I just ignore.
If a neighbour uses a lot of garlic in food I have major issues as I react
badly to the smell, so I hide indoors.
Point is we live in close proximity and have to put up with some annoyances,
as long as they are not major.
Hell we could have a lot worse, I know I have. we are unlikely to have the
perfect world/surroundings unless we have the wealth to buy it.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

That's because the pubs never catered for the non smokers and they all went
elsewhere.
They lost the best part of a generation of customers who don't see any
reason to go to the pub now.
There are plenty of other places that did cater for non smokers that have a
growing customer base.
In this world its adapt or go bust.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 18:57, dennis@home wrote:

"Jon" wrote in message

Very true - there are a lot of myths about smoking, perpetuated by
those with an agenda and propagated by those who slavishly believe
whatever they're told.

Mostly by the addicts.

For a more balanced view on the subject, the singer Joe Jackson
decided to look into REAL facts regarding smoking and wrote "Smoke
Lies, and the Nanny State"

Hello Dennipoos.

You are well known around here for being a thick ****. This does
nothing to avoid that opinion.

Addicts and their suppliers always like to look at studies and ignore
those that don't agree with their findings.

The anti smoking fascists do exactly that. Any study refuting the
passive smoking myth are suppressed and never published - and they are
legion & many fold.

remember how many decades the smoking lobby told everyone that smoking
didn't harm the addicts?

Remember how the ASF spent years trying to denigrate smokers?

remember how many decades the smoking lobby claimed smoking was not
addictive.

You are going to have to provide some evidence for that.

Now they claim passive smoking does no harm.

You just can't trust the smoking industry or the addicts, they lie, they
lie lots.

Nothing like the anti smoking lobby. When it comes to lies, false
information & fudged reports they are in a league of their own.

Perhaps you would like to check out the well known anti smoking charity
Action on Smoking & Health?

Let me know when you do, we can talk about funding & lying.

There is no way an addict will admit that he has helped to kill someone
and they will cling on to any sliver of evidence to say they didn't,
such is life and death.

There is no way a small minded idiot like you would ever develop the
intellectual capacity to think for himself.

Its pointless arguing with addicts until they are cured.

Its pointless arguing with thick ****s like you.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 28 Aug,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Farting serves a useful purpose?

Try going a week without a fart. You'll find the reason!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 19:05, Fuschia wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 15:07:36 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

There's no point in arguing about this at all. The OP finds the smoke
offensive and wants ideas to be rid of it. Why is not the issue.

I find fat stupid people offensive. And total vegetarian snobs. What is
the best method of blowing them away?

Like many people I suffer badly from cigarette smoke. It makes me
cough and my eyes and ears itch terribly. I object to being subjected
to that.

I'm not at all surprised & you have my sympathy. There is no need for
you to be subjected to that. We could have 'smoking' and 'non smoking'
venues for eating & drinking - then we could both be happy.

Fortunately I do not suffer for asthma like many people for
who cigarette smoke can actually be life threatening without waiting
to get cancer.

Many things trigger asthma attacks, however smoking is not the cause of
asthma.

For you to equate that with a dislike of vegetarians simply underlines
your selfishness and your scorn for the wellbeing of others.

Oh come on. Vegetablists are simply attention seeking ****wits.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 18:58, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:39:10 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere
in the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he
worked in and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all
your life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies
assertion that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung
disease?

There is conclusive evidence to link active smoking with lung cancer.
Passive smoking is however a myth.
I think that this will be my last posting on this subject. There's
none so bllind as those who will not see!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11844169

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Smok...hers-(Passive-

Smoking).htm

http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/passive-smoking.php

http://bookshop.rcplondon.ac.uk/details.aspx?e=305

Peter

http://www.forestonline.org/info/passive-smoking/

MRD.

MRD Minimum Required Distribution (qualified retirement plans and IRAs)
MRD Metal Raiders (Yu-Gi-Oh cards)
MRD Ministry of Rural Development (various countries)
MRD Marine Resources Division (various states)
MRD Marketing Requirements Document
MRD Market Requirements Document
MRD Movement for the Restoration of Democracy (Pakistan)
MRD Machine-Readable Dictionary
MRD Matched Related Donor
MRD Mirrodin (game)
MRD Mission Requirements Document
MRD Motorized Rifle Division
MRD Mandatory Removal Date (from military service)
MRD Minimum Residual Disease
MRD Mandatory Retirement Date
MRD Merida, Venezuela - Alberto Carnevalli (Airport Code)
MRD Manual Ring-Down
MRD Mandatory Release Date
MRD Multicystic Renal Dysplasia
MRD Marginal Reflex Distance
MRD Manufacturing, Retail & Distribution
MRD Marketing Research Department
MRD Maximum Rank Distance
MRD Material Required Date
MRD Multicast Routing Debugger
MRD Master Requirements Directory
MRD Materiel Release Denial
MRD Mobile Receive Diversity
MRD Maintenance Requirements Determination (Australian government)
MRD Multi-Resolution Decomposition
MRD Memorandum for Regional Directors (DCAA)
MRD Maximum Relative Density (asphalt)
MRD Maximum Release Date
MRD Minimum Rank Distance
MRD Minimum Reacting Dose
MRD Maintenance Requirements Document
MRD Material Requirements Data
MRD Marine Design Center
MRD Milestone Review Document
MRD Materiel Requirements Document
MRD Military Requirements Determination
MRD Materiel Redistribution Division
MRD Maintenance Reference Documentation
MRD Management Resource Database (public defenders database)
MRD Master Requirements Document
MRD US Army Corps of Engineers, Missouri River Division
MRD Material Receipt Date
MRD Market Release Date
MRD Material Release Document
MRD Myst, Riven and D'ni (game series)
MRD Medical Renal Diseases

???????

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 2011-08-28, The Medway wrote:

http://www.forestonline.org/info/passive-smoking/

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha[gasp]hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

So, because Forest doesn't support your bias, you denigtare the evidence?

Would you perhaps, in your unbiased view, believe what Action on Smoking
& Health said?

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Peter James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.
in the other case they are taking away your freedom.

What about the freedom of smokers to go into smoke filled rooms?

Or is 'freedom' a one way street?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:52, dennis@home wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

I can see that as you're close to them. Not so close if you're next
door.
Of course blame the law for your situation. A room provided for smokers
with decent filtration and extraction (as before the law changed) saved
such things.

It certainly did and I'm all for re-introducing it.

That does not protect the staff from the effects of smoke which is a
requirement.
It is a requirement even if the staff are smokers.

If you did have smoking rooms you would have to issue safety gear to
staff and make sure they used it.

I was not referring to pubs, etc. I was referring to smoking rooms in
offices and factories - where no-one who is not going in to smoke need
enter at all while smokers are there, only the cleaner at the end of the
day, when extraction can have cleared the air.

I should have made myself clearer.

SteveW
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 21:07, dennis@home wrote:

"charles" wrote in message

James wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere
in the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he worked
in and where smoking was rampant. For further information see the
following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your
life in smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

that's true.. you can choose not to go into smoke filled rooms.

not if your job depends on it.

That's why we have a smoking ban, you can't go into smoke filled rooms
because of your job anymore.

No, we have a smoking ban because a fanatical group of anti smokers,
backed up by the lobbying of multi national drug companies, forced it
through.

Its undemocratic & basd on false evidence.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in the
world will do.

Roy Castle?

Alas not. Lung cancer yes. 10% of lung cancer deaths occur in non smokers.

Most of the people I know who don't want anyone smoking near them are
not overly concerned about passive smoking, they just can't stand the
odour, the sore eyes, the sore throat and the smelly clothes they end up
with from being around smokers.

An entirely reasonable view.

I have no wish to inflict the by products of smoking on others.

Equally, I can't see why non smokers should inflict their views on smokers.

As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away! It's a foul odour that travels considerable distances.

As are many things, but we don't ban cheap perfume, body odour, farting,
fried onions, McDonalds, diesel fuel, rape seed etc.

My wife is an ex-smoker (she promised her father a month before he was
diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and other than one lapse, she has
stuck to it), she frequently comments that she's amazed how she could
ever have smoked, as she too can't stand the smell.

I personally love the smell of secondhand smoke YMMY.

During the summer when it is hot we naturally like our patio door and
windows open to get a breeze. At night we sleep with our bedroom window
open. Our neighbours have a young child so they go outside to smoke and
we end up suffering their smoke. We either have to put up with it or
close the windows and struggle to sleep 'cos of the heat.

Interesting point that. Smoking has been deliberately demonised over
the years to the point of stupdity. Were it not for that, your
neighbours would smoke indoors with no adverse affects to their child,
in fact, according to many (supressed) studies, it would promote a
resistance to smoking related illness..

The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

The selfessness of non smokers amazes me. I'd suppot 'smoking' and 'non
smoking' areas. Majority rule?

My youngest daughter doesn't smoke. When she goes out with her mates,
most of them disappear outside for a fag & leave her on her own. Now
she goes out with them.

Secondly, every time one of the smokers tried to give up, the others
would smoke in front of them and each time they lit up, they'd offer
them one - as if they couldn't stand letting one get away!

However, I do think that the coucils that are trying to ban smokers from
lighting up in the street, parks, etc. are going too far; similarly with
the existing ban on smoking in company vehicles; and also the hospitals
and companies that ban employees from smoking in their own cars in their
car-parks.

Thank you for a reasoned view. :-)

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 22:59, R D S wrote:
On 27/08/2011 09:42, Dave East wrote:
Our next door neighbours are very heavy smokers and we get a bit fed
up with
the smell of it.

Wondering if we bought one of those fairly big house fans and placed
it on
the garden table whether it would make any difference or would be it
be a
waste of time?

Why don't you try getting a life?

I had some respect for you up to that point.

You appear to be confusing me with someone who cares what you think.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:36, Steve Walker wrote:
I have commented that a group of us (mainly non-smokers) used to
go out together and if even one smoker was with us, we'd all have to sit
in the smoking area, as otherwise the smoker would winge all night to
the extent of ruining everyone elses' night out.

SteveW

Oh come on Steve, get real.

If the majority are non smokers, the smoker goes outside.

I just wish it were the other way around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:52, dennis@home wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

I can see that as you're close to them. Not so close if you're next
door.
Of course blame the law for your situation. A room provided for smokers
with decent filtration and extraction (as before the law changed) saved
such things.

It certainly did and I'm all for re-introducing it.

That does not protect the staff from the effects of smoke which is a
requirement.

What effect is that Dennipoos?

It is a requirement even if the staff are smokers.

A requirement against what exactly?

If you did have smoking rooms you would have to issue safety gear to
staff and make sure they used it.

Safety gear to prtect against which threat?

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Peter wrote:
[...]

As a heavy smoker I can appreciate that.

For two and a half years I was suffering from asthma (still do of
course) and pulmonary sarcoidosis (declared clear just over a year ago),
yet "friends" still insisted on smoking around me.

TBF Steve, you need to address your 'friends' attitude.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2011 23:45, dennis@home wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

That was when most people didn't think smoking harmed them.
Now the sensible ones have realised the truth and stopped.

The ones that continue also don't believe smoking harms others.

That would be because there is no credible evidence to support that view.

Not really surprising as there are a lot of fools about.

You being their undisputed king ****wit.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Aug 2011 23:24:40 +0100 Steve Walker wrote :
As a smoker you won't have the experience, but I frequently recoil from
the smell of tobacco smoke and look round to find someone smoking 20 or
30 feet away!

It's extraordinary now to think that there was a time (before I took up
travelling) when people smoked on planes. A good while back I had a
number of British Rail archive films of the 1950s and smoking at your
desk seemed to be the norm.

That was when most people didn't think smoking harmed them.
Now the sensible ones have realised the truth and stopped.

The ones that continue also don't believe smoking harms others.

That would be because there is no credible evidence to support that view.

Not really surprising as there are a lot of fools about.

You being their undisputed king ****wit.

TMH. Get your head out of the sand. You are making yourself look a
complete idiot.
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
The selfishness of smokers has always amazed me. I have worked with and
been friends with a number and two things stick out. Firstly, in the
days when you could smoke in pubs, the whole group had to sit and suffer
in the smoking area, even if there was only one smoker with us,
otherwise they'd whinge and moan so much that they'd ruin the evening.

I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated pubs
because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're closing in
droves...

That's because the pubs never catered for the non smokers and they all
went elsewhere.

Sorry ****wit, they wanted to, but pejorative legislation prevented them
from doing so.

They lost the best part of a generation of customers who don't see any
reason to go to the pub now.

Mainly because of the smoking ban idiot.

There are plenty of other places that did cater for non smokers that
have a growing customer base.

No doubt you can name them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Sacha wrote:

There's no point in arguing about this at all. The OP finds the smoke
offensive and wants ideas to be rid of it. Why is not the issue.

I find fat stupid people offensive. And total vegetarian snobs. What is
the best method of blowing them away?

Semtex?

Good..

Neighbours can be a PITA brass monkey UK diy 92 July 8th 10 05:26 PM
Neighbours! Upscale Woodworking Plans and Photos 1 January 15th 09 02:18 PM
Neighbours house. Arthur2 UK diy 13 September 1st 08 10:47 PM
The neighbours can hear us! niavasha UK diy 15 September 30th 05 11:00 AM
Noisy neighbours Mark Home Repair 29 December 18th 04 03:05 PM