supermoocow

Default Neighbours new conservatory nightmare...

Hello I don't know if anyone can help...

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window and
will extend out 4m.
This will reduce light into our dining room and we will no longer get
sunshine into our dining room or patio until about 15:30 rather than 11:00
which we enjoy at present.

The conservatory will not be large enough to require planning permission and
the neighbour has also requested that the short hedge used as a boundary be
removed and replaced as a fence or the hedge will be cut back to the
boundary which will most probably kill it.
The conservatory will be built upon the boundary of the property which we
are responsible for fencing etc.

Do we have any rights, what can we do to try to either stop or reduce the
amount of light loss from the conservatory?

The layout of the plans are as follows:

Sun location at 15:00
*

Sun location at 11:00
*

Neighbour Mine

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
------ | | | H |
|------------------------|-------
Toilet | | | E | | Patio
| Toilet
/ | | | D | |
| /
Ulils | | | G | |
| Utils
----|Patio Doors|---- E - ----|Win |Door|Win |---

Lounge Dining Room

The Toilet/utils is 3.2m high where attached to building, 2.35m high at
other end.
Hedge is 4.5 m long and 1.4m high
Window ledge in my dining room is 1.2m from floor and window is 1.3m high.
Door window section is 2m long.
The dining room window is 0.25m from boundary and 0.55m wide

The proposed conservatory is to be 0.2m from boundary.
It is to extend 4m into garden and be 3.2m high at connection to existing
building.
It is to be 2.35m high at furthest extension.
The conservatory will extend across diagonally to the edge of the existing
toilet/util building.

We really do not want to fall out with our neighbours, however we are aghast
at living in near perpetual shadow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here Kitty Kitty

"supermoocow" wrote in message
Hello I don't know if anyone can help...

IANAL. In previous similar discussions on this group it was stated that you
have no 'right' to sunlight access.

David W.E. Roberts

[...]

snip

Don't know if this is common across the UK, but we were walking recently in
Derbyshire and saw a planning notice outside a house which included words
from the local council to the effect that "loss of light or reduction in
property value (plus a few other things) are not considered grounds for
objection".

So, especially as they don't require planning permission anyway, you may not
have much comeback.

Dave R

P.S. is it an ancient hedge? Tne council tree officer may be interested.

Arthur

"supermoocow" wrote in message

The conservatory will not be large enough to require planning permission

and ..

It's worth checking this with the council - if there hase every been any
other extensions to the house (front porch, etc) these must be included in
the permitted total increase.

The conservatory will be built upon the boundary of the property which we
are responsible for fencing etc.

If they build directly on the boundary, that becomes the 'fence'. Why
should you build another fence on your side of it for their benefit?
I would tell them that you have no plans to replace the hedge if they
destroy it - unless there is a fence specified in a covenant (unlikely if
you currently have a hedge). They will consequently have *no privacy*
inside their conservatory. Perhaps that corner of your garden would be a
good location for a compost heap, or a children's play area?

Do we have any rights, what can we do to try to either stop or reduce the
amount of light loss from the conservatory?

Afraid not.

- Arthur

Harry the Horse

supermoocow wrote:

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Make it clear that you object to the conservatory and that you will consider
yourself in dispute with them should it go ahead. That'll knock more than
the value of the conservatory off the value of their house (and yours also)
but if they are planning to move first, they are the ones who'll suffer
most.

Roger Mills

"supermoocow" wrote in message
Hello I don't know if anyone can help...

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window

and
will extend out 4m.
This will reduce light into our dining room and we will no longer get
sunshine into our dining room or patio until about 15:30 rather than 11:00
which we enjoy at present.

The conservatory will not be large enough to require planning permission

and
the neighbour has also requested that the short hedge used as a boundary

be
removed and replaced as a fence or the hedge will be cut back to the
boundary which will most probably kill it.
The conservatory will be built upon the boundary of the property which we
are responsible for fencing etc.

Do we have any rights, what can we do to try to either stop or reduce the
amount of light loss from the conservatory?

The layout of the plans are as follows:

Sun location at 15:00
*

Sun location at 11:00
*

Neighbour Mine

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
------ | | | H |
|------------------------|-------
Toilet | | | E | | Patio
| Toilet
/ | | | D | |
| /
Ulils | | | G | |
| Utils
----|Patio Doors|---- E - ----|Win |Door|Win |---

Lounge Dining Room

The Toilet/utils is 3.2m high where attached to building, 2.35m high at
other end.
Hedge is 4.5 m long and 1.4m high
Window ledge in my dining room is 1.2m from floor and window is 1.3m high.
Door window section is 2m long.
The dining room window is 0.25m from boundary and 0.55m wide

The proposed conservatory is to be 0.2m from boundary.
It is to extend 4m into garden and be 3.2m high at connection to existing
building.
It is to be 2.35m high at furthest extension.
The conservatory will extend across diagonally to the edge of the existing
toilet/util building.

We really do not want to fall out with our neighbours, however we are

aghast
at living in near perpetual shadow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In the DETR booklet "Planning - A Guide for Householders" it says:
"If the work you carry out seriously overshadows a neighbour's window and
that window has been there for 20 years or more, you may be affecting his or
her 'right to light' and you could be open to legal action."

If this applies to you, it may be worth having a word with your local
Planning Department - despite what others have said about right to light.

In cases where planning permission *is* required, there seems to be a 45
degree rule whereby, when looking out at an angle of 45 degrees from the
windows of neighbouring properties, your extension shouldn't be visible.
Clearly, this one would be!

Roger

DaveK

"supermoocow" wrote in message
Hello I don't know if anyone can help...

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window

and
will extend out 4m.

Friends are having the front of their bungalow extended. Have been refused
planning permission to go beyond the building line of other properties in
the road. In fact the row of properties is staggered so that each one is
slightly back from the other.
My understanding is that you have no rights to a view, or to light but the
planning people said it would change the appearance of the area and the
other residents should not have their view interrupted.
My neighbour recently had a conservatory built. The side wall - of brick, is
just inside his boundary but he says I can use it to build on if I wish.
Maybe you could do the same.
DaveK.

spacey

build a very large brick barbecue right on the boundry before he builds his
dream
and make good use of it

supermoocow wrote:

Hello I don't know if anyone can help...

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window and
will extend out 4m.
This will reduce light into our dining room and we will no longer get
sunshine into our dining room or patio until about 15:30 rather than 11:00
which we enjoy at present.

The conservatory will not be large enough to require planning permission and
the neighbour has also requested that the short hedge used as a boundary be
removed and replaced as a fence or the hedge will be cut back to the
boundary which will most probably kill it.
The conservatory will be built upon the boundary of the property which we
are responsible for fencing etc.

Do we have any rights, what can we do to try to either stop or reduce the
amount of light loss from the conservatory?

The layout of the plans are as follows:

Sun location at 15:00
*

Sun location at 11:00
*

Neighbour Mine

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
------ | | | H |
|------------------------|-------
Toilet | | | E | | Patio
| Toilet
/ | | | D | |
| /
Ulils | | | G | |
| Utils
----|Patio Doors|---- E - ----|Win |Door|Win |---

Lounge Dining Room

The Toilet/utils is 3.2m high where attached to building, 2.35m high at
other end.
Hedge is 4.5 m long and 1.4m high
Window ledge in my dining room is 1.2m from floor and window is 1.3m high.
Door window section is 2m long.
The dining room window is 0.25m from boundary and 0.55m wide

The proposed conservatory is to be 0.2m from boundary.
It is to extend 4m into garden and be 3.2m high at connection to existing
building.
It is to be 2.35m high at furthest extension.
The conservatory will extend across diagonally to the edge of the existing
toilet/util building.

We really do not want to fall out with our neighbours, however we are aghast
at living in near perpetual shadow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

news individual

You should check this out with your local planning office. Since July 02
conservatories have come within the ambit of building regs; there may also
be planning issues. You are likely to find that if you are directly
overlooked.by a conservatory, planning will stipulate they have obscure
glass to maintain your privacy. I also seem to recall that building within
1m of a boundary is generally a planning no no.

Jools

"supermoocow" wrote in message
Hello I don't know if anyone can help...

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window

and
will extend out 4m.
This will reduce light into our dining room and we will no longer get
sunshine into our dining room or patio until about 15:30 rather than 11:00
which we enjoy at present.

The conservatory will not be large enough to require planning permission

and
the neighbour has also requested that the short hedge used as a boundary

be
removed and replaced as a fence or the hedge will be cut back to the
boundary which will most probably kill it.
The conservatory will be built upon the boundary of the property which we
are responsible for fencing etc.

Do we have any rights, what can we do to try to either stop or reduce the
amount of light loss from the conservatory?

The layout of the plans are as follows:

Sun location at 15:00
*

Sun location at 11:00
*

Neighbour Mine

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
------ | | | H |
|------------------------|-------
Toilet | | | E | | Patio
| Toilet
/ | | | D | |
| /
Ulils | | | G | |
| Utils
----|Patio Doors|---- E - ----|Win |Door|Win |---

Lounge Dining Room

The Toilet/utils is 3.2m high where attached to building, 2.35m high at
other end.
Hedge is 4.5 m long and 1.4m high
Window ledge in my dining room is 1.2m from floor and window is 1.3m high.
Door window section is 2m long.
The dining room window is 0.25m from boundary and 0.55m wide

The proposed conservatory is to be 0.2m from boundary.
It is to extend 4m into garden and be 3.2m high at connection to existing
building.
It is to be 2.35m high at furthest extension.
The conservatory will extend across diagonally to the edge of the existing
toilet/util building.

We really do not want to fall out with our neighbours, however we are

aghast
at living in near perpetual shadow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Snowman

"news individual" wrote in message
You should check this out with your local planning office. Since July 02
conservatories have come within the ambit of building regs; there may also
be planning issues. You are likely to find that if you are directly
overlooked.by a conservatory, planning will stipulate they have obscure
glass to maintain your privacy. I also seem to recall that building within
1m of a boundary is generally a planning no no.

Jools

Any idea whether the rules about "obscure glass" can be found anywhere on
the net? We have some neighbours who have put up a conservatory close to the
boundary and they've got clear glass and no blinds or curtains.

Peter.

Martin

" Any idea whether the rules about "obscure glass" can be found anywhere on
the net? We have some neighbours who have put up a conservatory close to

the
boundary and they've got clear glass and no blinds or curtains.

Peter.

My neighbour said in his application that he would have obscured glass
installed for his conservatory but when I noticed the installers using clear
glass they said they hadn't been told to use obscured glass.

I got on to planning and it appears my neighbour was "hard up" and couldn't
afford the more expensive obscured glass. After several months he
eventually purchased some roll of opaque material to put over the glass.

In your case I suspect it depends on how close to you the conservatory has
been built. I have had a table at the same position in the living room for
20 years and from my seat the only view I get is their conservatory !

Martin

Lakeuk

Don't let them build on the boundary as you may find an overlap lie with
guttering, keep the hedge where it is, if they cut it back it'll still grow
and if they have any sense they'll leave enough space to give them access to
continue cutting the hedge in future years.

Dave

Churm

In the DETR booklet "Planning - A Guide for Householders" it says:
"If the work you carry out seriously overshadows a neighbour's window and
that window has been there for 20 years or more, you may be affecting his

or
her 'right to light' and you could be open to legal action."

If this applies to you, it may be worth having a word with your local
Planning Department - despite what others have said about right to light.

In cases where planning permission *is* required, there seems to be a 45
degree rule whereby, when looking out at an angle of 45 degrees from the
windows of neighbouring properties, your extension shouldn't be visible.
Clearly, this one would be!

Roger

No point talking to planning dept - it's nothing to do with them. And the
45 degree 'rule' is merely a rule of thumb (not law) used by *some* councils
to assess effect on light. Its based on BRE guidelines, but has no
statutory basis whatsoever.
The OP has no comeback through the council, basically.
Register a dispute.

Daytona

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:06:44 -0000, "supermoocow"
wrote:

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window and
will extend out 4m.
This will reduce light into our dining room and we will no longer get
sunshine into our dining room or patio until about 15:30 rather than 11:00
which we enjoy at present.

Try the Neighbours From Hell and Garden Law websites/forums. Links on my webpage
- http://mysite.freeserve.com/quickhelp/property.htm

hth

Daytona
Terry

wrote:

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window and
will extend out 4m.
This will reduce light into our dining room and we will no longer get
sunshine into our dining room or patio until about 15:30 rather than 11:00
which we enjoy at present.

Try the Neighbours From Hell and Garden Law websites/forums. Links on my webpage
- http://mysite.freeserve.com/quickhelp/property.htm

hth

Daytona

I recall something about "Ancient lights'. Any application in
this case? Also try uk.legal

R. Mark Clayton

"supermoocow" wrote in message
Hello I don't know if anyone can help...

We live in a semi-detached house and our adjoining neighbour has just
informed me that they are planning on building a conservatory next to our
boundary. The conservatory will be only 0.5m from our dining room window

and
will extend out 4m.
This will reduce light into our dining room and we will no longer get
sunshine into our dining room or patio until about 15:30 rather than 11:00
which we enjoy at present.

You may have an ancient light right from the dining room, but not the patio.
21 years and various angles etc.

The conservatory will not be large enough to require planning permission

It may not be large enough to require PP, but it is too near the boundary to
be a Generally Permitted Development, so tell him and your local planning
authority. He probably requires planning permission, OTOH he may get it
anyway.

and the neighbour has also requested that the short hedge used as a

boundary be
removed and replaced as a fence or the hedge will be cut back to the
boundary which will most probably kill it.

He can do this anyway.

The conservatory will be built upon the boundary of the property which we
are responsible for fencing etc.

Says who - your deeds?

Do we have any rights, what can we do to try to either stop or reduce the
amount of light loss from the conservatory?

The layout of the plans are as follows:

Sun location at 15:00
*

Sun location at 11:00
*

Neighbour Mine

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
------ | | | H |
|------------------------|-------
Toilet | | | E | | Patio
| Toilet
/ | | | D | |
| /
Ulils | | | G | |
| Utils
----|Patio Doors|---- E - ----|Win |Door|Win |---

Lounge Dining Room

The Toilet/utils is 3.2m high where attached to building, 2.35m high at
other end.
Hedge is 4.5 m long and 1.4m high
Window ledge in my dining room is 1.2m from floor and window is 1.3m high.
Door window section is 2m long.
The dining room window is 0.25m from boundary and 0.55m wide

The proposed conservatory is to be 0.2m from boundary.
It is to extend 4m into garden and be 3.2m high at connection to existing
building.
It is to be 2.35m high at furthest extension.
The conservatory will extend across diagonally to the edge of the existing
toilet/util building.

We really do not want to fall out with our neighbours, however we are

aghast
at living in near perpetual shadow.

Get him to put in a glass wall on your side.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Snowman wrote:
We have some neighbours who have put up a conservatory close to the
boundary and they've got clear glass and no blinds or curtains.

Give them a flash, then.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
BigWallop

[...]

If you haven't received a letter from the neighbour asking for your
objections or concerns, then you are within your rights to inform your local
authority that this build may impede your property both in privacy and right
to light circumstances. The local authority will then issue a notice of
concern to the neighbour and the proposed builder asking them to withdraw
planning before written permission is received from all neighbouring
properties which overlook this land.

No one has the right to tell you, that you must accept the things they put
on their property. If the neighbour was about erect a giant flashing glass
fibre dildo, then I think everyone around the area would have something to
say about it. Even if the dildo was of a size exempt from planning
permission, the owner would held responsible for their actions in building
something which may offend others. Well, the same goes for any building
work which may impede or offend others who overlook the land.

You do have the right of objection and you should have been given adequate
notice in writing before this proposed build was due to take, to allow you
to voice concerns.

Wait until it is built and when it is part of the boundary it becomes the
property of both parties under the party wall act. Then you can paint all
the windows on your side and tell the neighbour you just wanted a change in
decoration in your garden. Then you'll see how the right to objection
works. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

CapStick

"BigWallop" wrote in message

[...]

couple of points

You said at one point that the 4M out from existing would be cut bak to the
utility room

If this is a lean to . It will be some ugly.
If the front frame heads are not parralell with the rear wall (the existing
building).
When the roof bars are placed in position with each one being shorter than
the last.(due to the diagonal cut back you mentioned)
The lean to pitch will fall in two directions making this the ugliest
conservatory you are ever likely to see.

Building regs as a minimum are rquired on all conservatories as minimum

If you have to settle for something
Make sure that your side of the conservatory is a Cavity Block/Brick Wall.

Make sure it has a footings inspection by Planning.

Also a good way to hold up proceedings would be to whip a plan in yourself
for something similar.
that should put the cat among the pigeons.

---

BigWallop

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Snowman wrote:
We have some neighbours who have put up a conservatory close to the
boundary and they've got clear glass and no blinds or curtains.

Give them a flash, then.

That's were a big hairy Arse'nal fan would come in handy. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

dmc

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:

... Even if the dildo was of a size exempt from planning
permission, the owner would held responsible for their actions in building
something which may offend others.

a prize for the first person to ring their planning office and ask what
is the largest dildo that would be except from planning permission :-)

Darren

tarquinlinbin

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 19:29:37 -0000, "Snowman"
wrote:

"news individual" wrote in message
You should check this out with your local planning office. Since July 02
conservatories have come within the ambit of building regs; there may also
be planning issues. You are likely to find that if you are directly
overlooked.by a conservatory, planning will stipulate they have obscure
glass to maintain your privacy. I also seem to recall that building within
1m of a boundary is generally a planning no no.

Jools

Any idea whether the rules about "obscure glass" can be found anywhere on
the net? We have some neighbours who have put up a conservatory close to the
boundary and they've got clear glass and no blinds or curtains.

Peter.

Have you considered holding parties in your garden?
Andy Hall

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:04:29 -0000, "CapStick"
wrote:

couple of points

You said at one point that the 4M out from existing would be cut bak to the
utility room

If this is a lean to . It will be some ugly.
If the front frame heads are not parralell with the rear wall (the existing
building).
When the roof bars are placed in position with each one being shorter than
the last.(due to the diagonal cut back you mentioned)
The lean to pitch will fall in two directions making this the ugliest
conservatory you are ever likely to see.

Building regs as a minimum are rquired on all conservatories as minimum

Are you certain about that?? From reading both the Statutory
Instruments and other information on the ODPM web site, there is an
exemption with respect to Building Regulations for conservatories of
up to 30m^2, although there is a requirement for glazing to comply
with Part N.

There has been consultation etc. on this, but AFAICS nothing enacted
in law at this point.

If you have to settle for something
Make sure that your side of the conservatory is a Cavity Block/Brick Wall.

Make sure it has a footings inspection by Planning.

By Planning? I think that this is the job of Building
Control....... if they were involved in the first place.

Also a good way to hold up proceedings would be to whip a plan in yourself
for something similar.
that should put the cat among the pigeons.

Why?
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
BigWallop

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
BigWallop wrote:

... Even if the dildo was of a size exempt from planning
permission, the owner would held responsible for their actions in

building
something which may offend others.

a prize for the first person to ring their planning office and ask what
is the largest dildo that would be except from planning permission :-)

Darren

ROFL !!!

We're currently looking for someone to model the part if you're interested.

:-))

The Natural Philosopher

Arthur wrote:

[...]

Or indeed a 3KW arc lamp pointed straight inisde, day and night?

Do we have any rights, what can we do to try to either stop or reduce the
amount of light loss from the conservatory?

Afraid not.

- Arthur

R. Mark Clayton

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
BigWallop wrote:

... Even if the dildo was of a size exempt from planning
permission, the owner would held responsible for their actions in

building
something which may offend others.

a prize for the first person to ring their planning office and ask what
is the largest dildo that would be except from planning permission :-)

Darren

This was a ~30 storey tower hotel planned at the rear of the Free Trade Hall
in Manchester (built on the site of the Peterloo massacre). It was round,
tall, partly finished in [pink?] granite, would stick out above a listed
building and even had a conical top... The plan was, thank goodness,
eventually shelved and the tower was never erected. The Council meeting
about it was a nightmare of puns and double entendres, pretty much like this
post.

BigWallop

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"dmc" wrote in message

In article ,
BigWallop wrote:

[...]

The point of the post was someone saying they had no rights of objection in
a neighbour building unsightly things around their property, where in fact,
they have all the rights due to them in preventing this from happening if
only they knew how to go about it.

Because a building is exempt from planning permissions due to size and
structure, it will never be exempt from basic right to light and obstruction
of privacy regulations. So the point of my outrageous example was to put
SuperMooCow on track in asking their local authority to step in and see what
can be done. That's what we all pay rates and taxes for.

Paul C. Dickie

In article , BigWallop
writes
No one has the right to tell you, that you must accept the things they put
on their property. If the neighbour was about erect a giant flashing glass
fibre dildo, then I think everyone around the area would have something to
say about it. Even if the dildo was of a size exempt from planning
permission, the owner would held responsible for their actions in building
something which may offend others. Well, the same goes for any building
work which may impede or offend others who overlook the land.

Would such an erection be in Essex?

--
Paul

Dave

wrote in message

Portsmouth city council still havn't realised their (rather late)
millenium tower, if it looks anything like the art work/models, is going
to look like a pair of welcuming lips to ships entering port....

LOL
As a very frequent visitor to Portsmouth, just where is it going to be
sited?

Dave

Stephen Gower

wrote:

Dave wrote:
wrote in message

Portsmouth city council still havn't realised their (rather late)
millenium tower

As a very frequent visitor to Portsmouth, just where is it going to be
sited?

Gunwharf, currently it looks like a giant clothes peg...

And the BBC will let you watch it going up
http://www.bbc.co.uk/southampton/web...spinnaker.html
--
Selah
Dave

wrote in message

Dave wrote:
wrote in message

Portsmouth city council still havn't realised their (rather late)
millenium tower, if it looks anything like the art work/models, is going
to look like a pair of welcuming lips to ships entering port....

LOL
As a very frequent visitor to Portsmouth, just where is it going to be
sited?

Dave

Gunwharf, currently it looks like a giant clothes peg...

Thanks, I'll take a look next time I am down there.

I live in Preston, Lancashire, but make several trips down there to see my
grand daughters. I have the journey down to a day trip these days :-)

Dave

Fitting blinds into a conservatory GT UK diy 1 August 26th 03 06:23 PM
Using hot air in conservatory David UK diy 5 August 3rd 03 10:13 AM
Conservatory blinds Paul UK diy 2 July 25th 03 02:03 PM
Conservatory floor/foundation issues Christian McArdle UK diy 26 July 15th 03 07:47 PM