Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Charging mobile phone

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Zen83237 wrote:
I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect
the socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it. I had to
buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the battery
how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Borrow a battery from someone with the same phone?

--
*Save a tree, eat a beaver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Zen83237 wrote:
I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect
the socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it. I had to
buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the battery
how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Borrow a battery from someone with the same phone?

Depends on the phone, but some have separate charger and USB sockets. You
can try charging it from USB if the charger socket doesn't work. If that
helps, buy a USB charger.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect
the socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the
phone?

Some of the data is on the SIM card, but I guess you already know that.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:35:51 +0100, "Zen83237"
wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data
to a stick for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Zen83237
writes
I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Phone make? Battery type?

Sony Ericssons are notorious for the base contacts clagging up. Clean
with a new toothbrush[1] and neat alcohol (IPA).

[1] Glass fibre brush better but not everybody has one.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data
to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect
the socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.

Maybe it needs a new battery; they are pretty cheap on eBay or Amazon now.
I'd give the battery contacts a spray with Contact Cleaner,
costs 2 or 3 pounds at Maplins.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data
to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?

One option:

Remove batter and look at the marked voltage.
Set bench PSU to same
Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...

That's the DIY solution :-)

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I
suspect the socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge
it. I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't
the battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off
of the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the
data to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?

One option:

Remove batter and look at the marked voltage.
Set bench PSU to same
Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...

Bench PSU? Whats wrong with two flyleads from the phone charger?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data
to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?

What are the odds of a decent repair shop *not* having a phone around
that uses the same battery type?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
One option:

Remove batter and look at the marked voltage.
Set bench PSU to same
Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...

Bench PSU? Whats wrong with two flyleads from the phone charger?

The phone charger input is likely at a different voltage to the natural cell
voltage of the battery (eg 5V from USB v 3.6V from lithium ion). The
battery charge circuit might not like that.

As it is, you might still have difficulty: the battery smarts won't be
there. Depends whether the phone will power up if it has a voltage but
can't read status from the battery.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:35:51 +0100, Zen83237 wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect
the socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it. I had to
buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the battery
how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Know anyone with soldering skills? If it were me I'd dismantle the phone,
remove the broken socket, and solder some trailing wires on instead which
I could connect to the charger - it all only needs to run for long enough
to charge and get the data off, so it doesn't really need to go back
together again afterwards.

That's assuming that it is the socket in the first place, and not some
other fault.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I
suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of
the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data
to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?

One option:

Remove batter and look at the marked voltage.
Set bench PSU to same
Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...

I have successfully charged Lithium Ion phone batteries from a bench
power supply at 4.2V with the current limit set to 1/10th of the
battery capacity (e.g. 100mA for a 1Ah battery)

Lithium ion batteries can burst into flames in a very spectacular way if
abused so be careful (the battery pack will have protection electronics
to protect it from overcharge so it's unlikely to explode but it can
happen).

Alternatively, if you just want to get data off you could connect a
suitable power supply directly to the battery contacts on the phone.
For a lithium ion battery anything between 3.3 and 4.2V should work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2011 13:41, Theo Markettos wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
One option:

Remove batter and look at the marked voltage.
Set bench PSU to same
Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...

Bench PSU? Whats wrong with two flyleads from the phone charger?

The phone charger input is likely at a different voltage to the natural cell
voltage of the battery (eg 5V from USB v 3.6V from lithium ion). The
battery charge circuit might not like that.

As it is, you might still have difficulty: the battery smarts won't be
there. Depends whether the phone will power up if it has a voltage but
can't read status from the battery.

Theo

Phone batteries are not *usually* that smart - they usually have a
simple analogue circuit which will disconnect the battery to prevent
overcharge or overcurrent. The third terminal is usually a thermistor
connected to the negative terminal which the charging circuit in the
phone uses to monitor battery temperature.

I have successfully charged phone batteries from a bench PSU.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Yup, BTDTGTTS. The nice posh farnell ones with current limiter are good
for this - just set that to 100mA or similar and hook it up - no need to
be too fussy with the voltage that way.

I would recommend setting the voltage carefully for a lithium ion
battery as they can fail spectacularly, see the explosion 2 minutes into
this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMy2_...eature=related

The maximum voltage for a single cell is 4.2V.

Any commercial battery will probably have a protection module to prevent
over voltage so you would almost certainly get away it if you did set
the voltage a bit too high but all the datasheets I have seen recommend
that you don't rely on the protection module for for charge termination.

Gareth

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Umm -- being thick here, sorry: everyone's assuming that the phone will
not work when plugged into its charger. Is that so?

I mean: I recently changed my phone for the same reasons: my phone
worked ok when plugged in, so I transferred all data (not much!) to the
SIM, then swopped the SIM out to the new phone, transferred all data to
that phone, then swopped the new SIM back in. (Advice to do this is in
my new phone's instructions booklet.)

....But I guess your phone's not working when plugged in...

John

----

p.s.: John Rumm wrote:
Yup, BTDTGTTS. ...

You just did that to annoy me didn't you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

p.s.: John Rumm wrote:
Yup, BTDTGTTS. ...

You just did that to annoy me didn't you?

Am I the only person in Britain who has *all* the stuff on his mobile
phones backed up onto a computer in a readily recoverable format?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Williamson wrote:

Am I the only person in Britain who has *all* the stuff on his mobile
phones backed up onto a computer in a readily recoverable format?

John, I'd *definitely* do that if my working (not to mention my social)
life involved a mobile phone more, but happily I've escaped that
scenario. :-D

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
One option:

Remove batter and look at the marked voltage.
Set bench PSU to same
Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...

Bench PSU? Whats wrong with two flyleads from the phone charger?

The phone charger input is likely at a different voltage to the natural
cell
voltage of the battery (eg 5V from USB v 3.6V from lithium ion). The
battery charge circuit might not like that.

As it is, you might still have difficulty: the battery smarts won't be
there. Depends whether the phone will power up if it has a voltage but
can't read status from the battery.

Theo

Phone batteries are not *usually* that smart

Oh yes they are.

Whether the phone takes any notice is another matter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Zen83237
writes
I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect
the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the
phone?

Phone make? Battery type?

Sony Ericssons are notorious for the base contacts clagging up. Clean with
a new toothbrush[1] and neat alcohol (IPA).

[1] Glass fibre brush better but not everybody has one.
--
fred

The phone is a Samsung. I bought another one so I had the same charger but
this one has a different battery.
The contact list is on the phone hence my need to get it to wor again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another John" wrote in message
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the
phone?

Umm -- being thick here, sorry: everyone's assuming that the phone will
not work when plugged into its charger. Is that so?

I mean: I recently changed my phone for the same reasons: my phone
worked ok when plugged in, so I transferred all data (not much!) to the
SIM, then swopped the SIM out to the new phone, transferred all data to
that phone, then swopped the new SIM back in. (Advice to do this is in
my new phone's instructions booklet.)

...But I guess your phone's not working when plugged in...

John

----

Not now. The connection was a bit iffy for a week. Lay the phone down in not
quite the right position it would stop charging then I would have to hold
the plug in tight but now nothing.
I will try and find somebody with a phone with same battery the get the
contact list off of it but Samsungs don't seem that common.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data
to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?

If it's a common phone, there is a good chance they might have battery
to fit it lieing about., Thee same battery gets used in lots of
different models
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Zen83237
writes

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Zen83237
writes
I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I suspect
the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of the
phone?

Phone make? Battery type?

Sony Ericssons are notorious for the base contacts clagging up. Clean with
a new toothbrush[1] and neat alcohol (IPA).

[1] Glass fibre brush better but not everybody has one.
--
fred

The phone is a Samsung. I bought another one so I had the same charger but
this one has a different battery.

Sorry, haven't had a Samsung in a while so no recent experience but just
in case, the toothbrush and alcohol trick wouldn't be a bad idea but
won't help if it's a dodgy internal joint rather than a dirty external
connection. On the Sony Ericssons, apparently clean looking gold
contacts will not make a good charging contact and require occasional
cleaning.

The contact list is on the phone hence my need to get it to wor again

Yep, totally understand. As another has suggested, a local unbranded
phone repair/spares shop may be your best bet, they will likely have
fully charged batts or other means of applying power and removing your
contacts. I have a tame one near me who is an absolute star but your
experience may vary, worth dropping in to chat face to face.

In your place I'd charge the battery on the bench but I understand that
is not for everyone.
--
fred