Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gareth[_3_] Gareth[_3_] is offline

Default Charging mobile phone

On 21/06/2011 11:04, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/06/2011 10:12, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 21, 7:26 am, wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 23:35:51 +0100,
wrote:

I have been having problems charging my phone for a few days. I
suspect the
socket in the phone. 2 different charges wont charge it.
I had to buy a new phone today as it gave up but assuming it isn't the
battery how can I charge the battery so I can get the data off of
the phone?

Take it to your local mobile repair shop and get them to pull the data
to a stick for you.

And how are they going to charge the battery?

One option:

Remove batter and look at the marked voltage.
Set bench PSU to same
Connect PSU to battery terminals on phone...

I have successfully charged Lithium Ion phone batteries from a bench
power supply at 4.2V with the current limit set to 1/10th of the
battery capacity (e.g. 100mA for a 1Ah battery)

Lithium ion batteries can burst into flames in a very spectacular way if
abused so be careful (the battery pack will have protection electronics
to protect it from overcharge so it's unlikely to explode but it can
happen).

Alternatively, if you just want to get data off you could connect a
suitable power supply directly to the battery contacts on the phone.
For a lithium ion battery anything between 3.3 and 4.2V should work.