Old July 17th 10, 10:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole. The pole will be 2" alli
scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

I have written consent from my neighbours because the chimney stack belongs
to both of us.

I asked on another group but advice not forth coming.

Kindest regards,

Jim

Old July 17th 10, 11:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2010 22:45, the_constructor wrote:
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

At this point, I have to ask is the antenna for V/UHF, or HF use? If the
latter, I would advise a double lashing kit.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole. The pole will be 2" alli
scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

Have you gone for the thick walled stuff, or the zip up type?

Dave
Old July 17th 10, 11:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"the_constructor" writes:
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

If you get an aerial installer to do it, get the advice from them.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole.

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

The pole will be 2" alli
scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

Make sure your brackets will take a 2" mast, as 1.5" is a
more common aerial mast size (although 2" masts do exist).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 18th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2010 23:26, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In [email protected] w.co.uk,
.uk writes:
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

If you get an aerial installer to do it, get the advice from them.

If he is a radio amateur as I am, our aerials demand different mountings
than do TV ones. Lightening and static during a storm can take out the
front end of a receiver in a flash. Pun intended

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole.

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

This is one of the unknowns. For amateurs, wind resistance calculations
are well known. A TV aerial installer will have no knowledge of this.
Our aerials that work from 50 Meg to 70 centimetres can be quite wide
and bulky. Thus giving a much higher wind resistance than expected.

Dave
Old July 18th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

Old July 18th 10, 12:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some
advice please.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted
just above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole. The pole will be 2"
alli scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

I have written consent from my neighbours because the chimney stack
belongs to both of us.

I put up an alloy scaffold pole as a TV aerial pole a few years back.
However it was a lot more than 3' long - taller than me so 2-3 metres.

I used a couple of very large lashing kits to hold the pole.

The aerial is still up there, and well above any others around it.

If it is only 3' then one lashing kit might do - although you don't say how
long the aerial is.
Short and stumpy will exert less lateral pull than a very tall one.
If there is any doubt I would use 2 - the cost of a lashing kit will be
small compared to the cost of someone going up there and fixing it.

HTH

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old July 18th 10, 03:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I am a licensed radio ham. Jim G1SSO located in County Durham.

The bracketry I was thinking of is something like this:

http://www.aerialshack.com/inch-chim...ket-p-346.html

This is the spec of the antenna:

Compact white fibreglass dual-band base antenna for 2m and 70cm.

Frequency Bands 2m/70cm
Max Power 200W
Length 1.7m
Radials 3
Gain (2m) 4.5dB
Gain (70cm) 7.2dB
Weight 0.9kg
Type (2m) 3 x 1/4 wave
Type (70cm) 3 x 5/8 wave

The alli tube that I have is 2" dia and roughly 3/8" wall. As I say, I would
imagine all I need is about 3 feet.

I was thinking of running a 10mm green earth cable from the mounting
brackets down to a ground spike, but someone commented that it may upset the
antenna. Also I want a termination box with an N socket attached, on the
wall in my shack and to run a similar cable to ground.

All comments gratefully received.

Jim

Old July 18th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Thats not that much of a load but its more of a load that I'd feel happy
with the bract chosen for what your trying to do!.. Put it on a decent
lashing, a competent aerial rigger if you have one round your away can
advise. Or if you have one a decent couple of wall brackets on a gable
end might be better.

It should be able to clamp to a standard 50 mm dia pole we use similar
aerials for PMR applications and don't have problems usually they come
with their own brackets sometimes we have to supply them but it
shouldn't be rocket science.

The bit about earthing sounds duff info!, you won't upset the aerial at
all at those frequencies. Very very few aerials on domestic premises are
earthed with a view to lightning protection, this does require more than
a bit of Green earth wire a solid lump of Ally or copper and earthing
plates or driven electrodes are required.

An "N" type outlet shouldn't be a problem either and earthing that and
disconnecting the aerial lead in thundery weather might be better then
nothing. If your belted by a direct strike expect that to be vaporised
and an insurance claim!. What it will help with is small induced
current side swipes..

73's
--
Tony Sayer

Old July 18th 10, 04:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

[...]

Stick a pole in the ground it much easier to take down when you need to
put up another type of ariel. The ariel can be 15M from ground level. A
tempory wind up / down one can be as high as needed.

--
---
zaax
Old July 18th 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"zaax" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, this is not an option.

Jim