Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some
advice please.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted
just above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole. The pole will be 2"
alli scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

I have written consent from my neighbours because the chimney stack
belongs to both of us.

I put up an alloy scaffold pole as a TV aerial pole a few years back.
However it was a lot more than 3' long - taller than me so 2-3 metres.

I used a couple of very large lashing kits to hold the pole.

The aerial is still up there, and well above any others around it.

If it is only 3' then one lashing kit might do - although you don't say how
long the aerial is.
Short and stumpy will exert less lateral pull than a very tall one.
If there is any doubt I would use 2 - the cost of a lashing kit will be
small compared to the cost of someone going up there and fixing it.

HTH

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder