Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FM Radio Antenna

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel
station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no
luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor
antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his
Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no
longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in
Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar
radioshack indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is
trying to get it on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar
station on satellite but it is no longer available.Southern gospel
stations are hard to come by here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Hi,
If it does not do well with those antennas you tried(they are some what
directional), I think something wrong with the receiver. Were you
connecting antenna lead correctly.(300 Ohm twin lead or 75 Ohm coax)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
benick wrote:

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar
radioshack indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying
to get it on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on
satellite but it is no longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard
to come by here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Hi,
If it does not do well with those antennas you tried(they are some what
directional), I think something wrong with the receiver. Were you
connecting antenna lead correctly.(300 Ohm twin lead or 75 Ohm coax)

I agree. Just for the hell of it, I'd take the receiver outside, connect it
20-30 feet from the house or other obstructions, and see if any of those
antennas works. If not, it's the receiver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

[...]

Broadside of antenna shoud point to the station. My Yamaha AV receiver
does not even has an antenna but it picks up all local FM stations with
full quieting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar
radioshack indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is
trying to get it on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar
station on satellite but it is no longer available.Southern gospel
stations are hard to come by here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

My father had real good luck with the omnidirectional FM roof antenna RS
sells. After the big storm (Rita)bent the guyed mast that had it up 25
feet, he remounted it on the unbent section that was only 12 feet up,
and it actually worked better.

Just for laughs, I'd try another receiver as well. The Fisher (haven't
seen them in years) is likely old enough that some components may be
getting marginal. Thrift stores often have 5 year old quite competent
receivers for 10 bucks or so, now that everyone is switching to ipods
and such. Or brand new amazingly good entry-level receivers can be had
at most big-box stores for around $100.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
benick wrote:
[...]

Thrift store receiver for the OP's dad? No no no....that's unholy. Get him
something decent.

http://nadelectronics.com/products/av-receivers

Doesn't have to be their top of the line, but not some piece of crap from
Wal Mart.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 22:22:33 -0400, "benick"
wrote:

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel
station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no

You mean the car radio when it is in the garage? Car radios work
better than home radios, so don't expect to duplicate their reception.

If it is really God's word, it should come in no matter how bad the
antenna is.

And as someone with about 20 radios trying to get two out-of-town
stations in every room, I've found there is little correlation between
the brand or price of a radio and its reception.

luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor
antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his
Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no
longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in
Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar
radioshack indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is
trying to get it on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar
station on satellite but it is no longer available.Southern gospel
stations are hard to come by here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

One of the benefits of my retiring to Maine was getting away from the
southern gospel preachers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
And as someone with about 20 radios trying to get two out-of-town
stations in every room, I've found there is little correlation between
the brand or price of a radio and its reception.

I have an FM transmitter on the tape out of my main receiver, and just set the
other radios to 88.1. Whatever I'm listening to in the living room is available
in the bedroom, basement and garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:16:50 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
And as someone with about 20 radios trying to get two out-of-town
stations in every room, I've found there is little correlation between
the brand or price of a radio and its reception.

I have an FM transmitter on the tape out of my main receiver, and just set the
other radios to 88.1. Whatever I'm listening to in the living room is available
in the bedroom, basement and garage.

That sounds like a very good idea. Can you give me some guidance on
what to get, where to get it for the transmitter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack
indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it
on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but
it is no longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by
here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Have him move down here to Asheville, NC. He'll hear it 24/7 without a
radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 25, 3:01�am, "Sanity" wrote:
"benick" wrote in message

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack
indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it
on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but
it is no longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by
here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Have him move down here to Asheville, NC. � He'll hear it 24/7 without a
radio.

put a decent car radio on a AC to DC converter, and keep it in the
house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:14:38 -0400, mm
wrote:

[snip]

If it is really God's word, it should come in no matter how bad the
antenna is.

It SHOULD. That reminds me of my "deity detector", which is just a
little red LED that isn't connected to anything. An all-powerful being
has enough power to light it anyway. I've had it for 4 years and it
hasn't lit yet.

[snip]
--
"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:28:22 -0400, Boden wrote:

benick wrote:
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar
radioshack indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is
trying to get it on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar
station on satellite but it is no longer available.Southern gospel
stations are hard to come by here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

One of the benefits of my retiring to Maine was getting away from the
southern gospel preachers.

Yes, I find that (southern gospel preachers) to be the worst thing on
radio.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

You mean the car radio when it is in the garage? Car radios work
better than home radios, so don't expect to duplicate their reception.

To clarify, what I meant was that car radios work better than home
radios because they are in the car, whose metal body helps out the
radios antenna, aiui. I think my friend confirmed this, and maybe
sci.electronics.repair . I'm not sure what happens in cars with
plastic bodies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You mean the car radio when it is in the garage? �Car radios work
better than home radios, so don't expect to duplicate their reception.

To clarify, what I meant was that car radios work better than home
radios because they are in the car, whose metal body helps out the
radios antenna, aiui. � I think my friend confirmed this, and maybe
sci.electronics.repair . I'm not sure what happens in cars with
plastic bodies.

car radios have better designs so that poor reception is unlikely.

so put the car radio indoors on a dc adapter and install whatever you
want for the antenna,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 10:22*pm, "benick" wrote:
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel
station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no
luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor
antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his
Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no
longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in
Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Here is a link to build his own out of flat 300 ohm lead in wire
http://www.kgnu.org/ht/helpfm.html#makeantenna

If you need to fine tune for a specific frequency divide 5565 by the
station frequency in MHZ and that will give you the length in inches
for the top part of the antenna.
These antennas are directional so try it first on one wall and again
on one 90 degrees away
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 24, 9:22*pm, "benick" wrote:
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel
station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no
luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor
antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his
Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no
longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in
Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

I bet its the radio and most home stero fm radios have poor specs
anyway, it might be Kloss that has a good unit or get a car radio, but
learn sensitivity specs, there is a big online cataloge seller of car
stuff [ fotgot the name] that publishes specs for about all car radios
made, and everything else on car stereos.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"benick" wrote in message
My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack
indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it
on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but
it is no longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by
here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Something nobody's mentioned yet: You didn't say how old the Fisher was.
There was a time when they made decent stuff, probably back in the 60s &
70s. They dredged up the brand name in the mid-1980s and slapped it on some
of the worst **** imaginable. Worse than Sanyo, if that's possible.
Depending on the age of your dad's receiver, it may be a piece of crap. And
even if it's one of the good ones, it could probably use a going-over by a
competent tech, if you can find one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"aemeijers" wrote in message
benick wrote:
[...]

'Thrift Store' /= 'Walmart'. Over the last ten years, I have found in
thrift stores, trashpicked, or garage sale purchased around a dozen
actual hi-fi geek receivers, that I either cleaned up and gave away, or
even sold at my own garage sales for a nice profit. The Sherwood 5.1 A/V
receiver in the other living room here was trashpicked, and it drives my
vintage large advents just fine. Now that everyone wants baby stereos,
the old geek full-size stuff, especially if it is black in color, goes
for next to nothing, if you have to pay at all. A little windex, a
little tuner cleaner, and it usually works just fine. 5 years old does
not mean it is junk.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You mean the car radio when it is in the garage? Car radios work
better than home radios, so don't expect to duplicate their reception.

To clarify, what I meant was that car radios work better than home
radios because they are in the car, whose metal body helps out the
radios antenna, aiui. I think my friend confirmed this, and maybe
sci.electronics.repair . I'm not sure what happens in cars with
plastic bodies.

Hi,
Car radio must have an external antenna to pull in signals. Car body
acts like ground(ground plane).
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Sanity wrote:
"benick" wrote in message

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack
indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it
on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but
it is no longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by
here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Have him move down here to Asheville, NC. He'll hear it 24/7 without a
radio.

Thanks for the info. That sounds like a good place to avoid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the on topic replies..joe is correct on his reciever being a
crappy one from from the early 90's I think..Maybe a little older. He also
has a NEW metal roof...I think a new reciever and outdoor omnidirectional
antenna should get his Southern Gosple music back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mar 25, 3:01�am, "Sanity" wrote:
"benick" wrote in message

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the
Gospel station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage
but no luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar
radioshack
indoor antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it
on his Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite
but
it is no longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by
here in Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Have him move down here to Asheville, NC. � He'll hear it 24/7 without a
radio.

put a decent car radio on a AC to DC converter, and keep it in the
house.

He doesn't have a spare car on blocks in the front yard to take a radio out
of like you rednecks do..LOL...

Giter Done...Right????LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
And as someone with about 20 radios trying to get two out-of-town
stations in every room, I've found there is little correlation between
the brand or price of a radio and its reception.

I have an FM transmitter on the tape out of my main receiver, and just set the
other radios to 88.1. Whatever I'm listening to in the living room is
available
in the bedroom, basement and garage.

That sounds like a very good idea. Can you give me some guidance on
what to get, where to get it for the transmitter?

USR6003
http://www.amazon.com/Robotics-USR60.../dp/B00005ICD2

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $6.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 00:07:02 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
[...]

I had some Fisher equipment made around 1980 by Sears. It worked OK
then but didn't last very long.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" ...
"mm"...
"Bob F"
"mm"
And as someone with about 20 radios trying to get two out-of-town
stations in every room, I've found there is little correlation between
the brand or price of a radio and its reception.

I have an FM transmitter on the tape out of my main receiver, and just
set the
other radios to 88.1. Whatever I'm listening to in the living room is
available
in the bedroom, basement and garage.

That sounds like a very good idea. Can you give me some guidance on
what to get, where to get it for the transmitter?

USR6003
http://www.amazon.com/Robotics-USR60.../dp/B00005ICD2

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $6.

Too bad they don't sell this anymore.
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:22:58 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:39:03 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:29:55 -0500,
wrote:

Does he live in a metal building? You wont get decent fm reception in
metal buildings without an outdoor antenna

Does that include houses with aluminum or vinyl coated steel siding?

YES.
Any building enclosed in any kind of metal will have poor reception
for all radio waves. For example I have an all metal pole barn. My
cordless phone with the base (transmitter) in the house will not work
in the barn, but if I open the barn door and stand in the doorway it
works fine. Metal blocks radio (and tv) signals of all types. The
solution is an outside antenna with a wire feeding into the building.
Unfortunately there's no way to do that on a cordless phone. On the
other hand, a portable radio in the same barn would not get stations,
and it had a single telescoping antenna. I took a 12 foot piece of
#14 house wiring, shoved it out one of the rib holes on the roof, and
connected the other end to my nearby garage wall. Then I put an
alligator clip on the wire and simply clip it to the radio's
telescoping antenna and I get great reception. I never did any
measuring for wavelengths or anything, it's just a matter of getting
the signal inside the building.

I used to repair things for pocket change, and I lived near a college.
I went over to a dorm, in an old apartment building, to pick up a
sewing machine, and the girl complained that her 12" b&w tv got bad
reception. I told her it was the metal frame of the building (steel
girders) and that she should get some lamp cord or other wire and
connect it and throw the end of it out of the window.

I couldn't fix the sewing machine, but when I brought it back a week
later, she had bought a new 12" b&w tv and she was saying how she got
bad reception. I told her it was the metal frame of the building and
that she should get some lamp cord or other wire and connect it and
throw the end of it out of the window. She gave me the old tv, which
worked fine at my apartment.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:26:50 -0400, "Tomes" wrote:

I have an FM transmitter on the tape out of my main receiver, and just
set the
other radios to 88.1. Whatever I'm listening to in the living room is
available
in the bedroom, basement and garage.

That sounds like a very good idea. Can you give me some guidance on
what to get, where to get it for the transmitter?

USR6003
http://www.amazon.com/Robotics-USR60.../dp/B00005ICD2

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $6.

Too bad they don't sell this anymore.
Tomes

That's ok. I just wanted to know what sort of thing he was using.
Maaybe I'll find it used too, or they'll make something else that is
similar.

I've also been using cordless speakers connected to my PC. I bought
two sets and only use one speaker in each of 4 places. I don't care
about stereo because I listen to a lot of talk (and I have no space in
any of the rooms for two speakers.) It worked fine for a couple years
but I think the transmitter is failing. I'll have to see if the one
from the other set works better.

But I like this FM transmitter thing because I have an FM radio in 6
rooms counting the bathroom and the basement, and I can put one back
in the laundry room too. And outdoors.

I'm in no hurry. I have had my car for 6 years now and usually only
keep them for 7. It had no cup holder, and I really needed one, and I
finally managed to put in a nice looking and nice working one. And
somehow it doesn't bother me that I didn't have one for 6 of the 7
years. All that seems to matter is that it came out nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"benick" wrote:

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel
station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no
luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor
antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his
Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no
longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in
Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

Just a thought... is this radio station available online?

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My dad needs a GOOD indoor OR outdoor FM radio antenna to recieve the Gospel
station he likes. It comes in clear in the car even in the garage but no
luck in the house. Have tried the wire antenna,35 dollar radioshack indoor
antenna,rabbitears,rooftop TV antenna,ect. He is trying to get it on his
Fisher Reciever...He used to get a similar station on satellite but it is no
longer available.Southern gospel stations are hard to come by here in
Maine...LOL...There is only one....

Any thoughts or ideas????

I forgot to mention.
You can usually get pretty good reception by tapping into a rooftop TV
antenna coax. Just add a TEE splitter in the coax. The antenna wire
goes to the one labelled IN. There are two labelled OUT. One of them
goes to the tv, the other to the FM radio. If the radio had two
screws on the back, you'll need a balun, which you can buy anwhere
they sell antenna parts, and they are just a small tubular device with
a coax fitting on one end and two wire spades on the other. You're
only looking at $10 worth of parts unless the radio is a long distance
from the tv and you need a real long cable. Your Radio Shack employee
should be able to sell you the right parts, unless the store has
idiots for employees (some of them are). Most building supply stores
like Home Depot, Manards, Lowes, etc all carry this stuff. Walmart
probably even has it.

That should work fine, considering that the FM broadcast band is a
range of frequencies just above TV channel 6.

BTW, I used to know some people around here would listen to TV channel
6 using FM radios. It's near the low end of the radio's tuning range.
This would likely not work with a modern radio with digital tuning.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

BTW, I used to know some people around here would listen to TV channel
6 using FM radios. It's near the low end of the radio's tuning range.
This would likely not work with a modern radio with digital tuning.

Seems to. The local Channel 6 actively markets the FM channel so that
you can hear their programming (especially the local news) in your car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:16:44 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Mark Lloyd wrote:

BTW, I used to know some people around here would listen to TV channel
6 using FM radios. It's near the low end of the radio's tuning range.
This would likely not work with a modern radio with digital tuning.

Seems to. The local Channel 6 actively markets the FM channel so that
you can hear their programming (especially the local news) in your car.

That sounds like your station has a different audio channel for that
purpose. Some do, although that has nothing to do with what I was
talking about. TV stations normally broadcast audio using FM (at least
for another year or so).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"DISCLAIMER If you find a posting or message
from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive,
please ignore it. If you don't know how to
ignore a posting, complain to me and I will
demonstrate."
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:26:50 -0400, "Tomes" wrote:

I have an FM transmitter on the tape out of my main receiver, and just
set the
other radios to 88.1. Whatever I'm listening to in the living room is
available
in the bedroom, basement and garage.

That sounds like a very good idea. Can you give me some guidance on
what to get, where to get it for the transmitter?

USR6003
http://www.amazon.com/Robotics-USR60.../dp/B00005ICD2

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $6.

Too bad they don't sell this anymore.
Tomes

They make little transmitters for ipods, although most may not have much range.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Headphone rm-radio: on weak signal, if I put my hand
up near it, it pulls in MUCH better.

Long ago, I recall that a tiny "transistor radio"
(1958? Japanese) would REALLY pull-in (AM I think
it was) when I put it next to a radiator-pipe.

What's happening -- and how to make it happen without
having to hold my hand up near my ears?

Thanks,

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
Headphone rm-radio: on weak signal, if I put my hand
up near it, it pulls in MUCH better.

Long ago, I recall that a tiny "transistor radio"
(1958? Japanese) would REALLY pull-in (AM I think
it was) when I put it next to a radiator-pipe.

What's happening -- and how to make it happen without
having to hold my hand up near my ears?

Thanks,

David

Wind a whole lotta copper coil wire around your head? Maybe as a hatband
on a fishing hat?

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
Headphone rm-radio: on weak signal, if I put my hand
up near it, it pulls in MUCH better.

Long ago, I recall that a tiny "transistor radio"
(1958? Japanese) would REALLY pull-in (AM I think
it was) when I put it next to a radiator-pipe.

What's happening -- and how to make it happen without
having to hold my hand up near my ears?

Thanks,

David

Hi,
Headphone is acting like an antenna. Phone cord can do dual job
pick up redio frequency and delivering audio frequency to your
ears.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article m,
G. Morgan wrote:

Bob F wrote:

USR6003
http://www.amazon.com/Robotics-USR60...ery/dp/B00005I
CD2

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $6.

· Operates on 900 MHz frequency
^^^^^^^
That is not an FM transmitter.

It is if it¹s frequency modulated. Just because it¹s not on the FM
broadcast band does not mean it¹s not FM.

The unit shown requires a transmitter AND a 900MHz receiver.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
news:c8e6ef976973ec68ec73556f06a6516anp@goofysplac e.com...
Bob F wrote:

USR6003
http://www.amazon.com/Robotics-USR60.../dp/B00005ICD2

I picked it up at a thrift shop for $6.

· Operates on 900 MHz frequency
^^^^^^^
That is not an FM transmitter.

The unit shown requires a transmitter AND a 900MHz receiver.

Wrong. It is a transmiter and a separate 900 MHz receiver, which contains an FM
transmitter, which transmits to every FM receiver within maybe 50 feet. The
receiver/FM transmitter end also has RCA outputs for a line level input to a
receiver or amp.