Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default The car radio won't get AM unless one touches the antenna!

The car radio won't get AM unless one touches the antenna!

An internet acquaintance who still doesn't understand Usenet bought a
new radio for his Chrysler LeBaron, but AM reception was verrrrry low
volume, so as to be unusable. FM is fine.

He took it back to BestBuy and in the process of working on it, the
tech put his hand on the antenna and the volume went to normal and
reception was good.

He and the tech have concluded that he needs a new antenna, in place
of the one that has been there since the car was built, between 1990
and '95.

What are the odds this is true?

Or is the new radio likely defective?

Before 1965, I think it was, car radios had to have their antenna
"trimmed" to get good reception, by means of an antenna trimming
variable capacitor. In the Olds, there was an enlargement of the hole
under the on/off knob that gave access to a screw that adjusted the
trim. If touching the antenna increased radio volume, that meant the
antenna needed trimmming.

This is all I know about the electronics involved, but that may be
more than anyone else on the list.

Is there a circuit that does this automatically today, that could be
broken in this new radio? Or has the need for trimming somehow been
eliminated? Or could the antenna be so bad that the radio can't
handle it.

Thanks for any help you can give him.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mm wrote:

[...]

Hire an illegal Mexican to ride with you, hanging out the window to
hole the antenna.!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

Try adjusting the antenna trimmer on the new radio.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

Hire an illegal Mexican to ride with you, hanging out the window to
hole the antenna.!

You're still looking for work?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:52:46 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Try adjusting the antenna trimmer on the new radio.

Do they still have trimmers on car radios?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Hire an illegal Mexican to ride with you, hanging out the window to
hole the antenna.!

You're still looking for work?

My rest my case.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/7/2009 2:31 PM Jamie spake thus:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Hire an illegal Mexican to ride with you, hanging out the window
to hole the antenna.!

You're still looking for work?

My rest my case.

The case of you being a racist asshole? Quite.

--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?

- harvested from Usenet
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Hire an illegal Mexican to ride with you, hanging out the window
to hole the antenna.!

You're still looking for work?

My rest my case.

The case of you being a racist asshole? Quite.

Ah no, just speaking the truth.

Sorry if it hurts..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Hire an illegal Mexican to ride with you, hanging out the window
to hole the antenna.!

You're still looking for work?

My rest my case.

The case of you being a racist asshole? Quite.

Maynard thinks he's funny, but he's just another illiterate troll.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Try adjusting the antenna trimmer on the new radio.

Do they still have trimmers on car radios?

They sure do ! It may not be obvious on a radio supplied fitted in the
vehicle but all aftermarket products I've seen do.
(Disclaimer: UK)

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Jamie wrote:

Hire an illegal Mexican to ride with you, hanging out the window
to hole the antenna.!

You're still looking for work?

My rest my case.

The case of you being a racist asshole? Quite.

Maynard thinks he's funny, but he's just another illiterate troll.

You're a piece of work..

You didn't noticed the that statement "Illegal" was in front of
"Mexican" ?

So, some one gets upset with the comment I made, and you, defend
them?
Did it ever occur to you there maybe a reason why any one would
to offense to such a remark, as it's worded?

You are just as much an ass, just for opening your mouth before you
even know what the hell is going on!.

Did it ever occur to you that I worded it, in that specific manner?

And of course, the asshole that you are, you stepped up and made a
fool of yourself. What next will you do to pull yourself from the slime
you are in?

Or is it maybe, you condole the Mexicans illegally crossing the
border and taking our jobs away and the working pay for them? It sure
sounds like you do. Maybe some one should check on you for a change.

Oh wait, you don't work any more from what I understand. Why should
you give a ****? You may when they deplete the funds you live on.

What a pathetic jerk.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie wrote:

What a pathetic jerk.

Yes you are, and you won't go away.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/8/2009 11:48 AM Jamie spake thus:

[...]

Take your racist, xenophobic, immigrant-bashing BULL**** to some
right-wing wankfest forum where it'll be appreciated. Anywhere but here.