DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Radio Antenna On Chimney ? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/306637-radio-antenna-chimney.html)

the_constructor[_2_] July 17th 10 10:45 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole. The pole will be 2" alli
scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

I have written consent from my neighbours because the chimney stack belongs
to both of us.

I asked on another group but advice not forth coming.

Kindest regards,

Jim

dave July 17th 10 11:24 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 17/07/2010 22:45, the_constructor wrote:
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

At this point, I have to ask is the antenna for V/UHF, or HF use? If the
latter, I would advise a double lashing kit.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole. The pole will be 2" alli
scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

Have you gone for the thick walled stuff, or the zip up type?

Dave

Andrew Gabriel July 17th 10 11:26 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

In article ,
"the_constructor" writes:
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

If you get an aerial installer to do it, get the advice from them.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole.

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

The pole will be 2" alli
scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

Make sure your brackets will take a 2" mast, as 1.5" is a
more common aerial mast size (although 2" masts do exist).

--
Andrew Gabriel

dave July 18th 10 12:01 AM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 17/07/2010 23:26, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In articleApidnbxV2O74ud_RnZ2dnUVZ7tmdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk,
.uk writes:
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some advice
please.

If you get an aerial installer to do it, get the advice from them.

If he is a radio amateur as I am, our aerials demand different mountings
than do TV ones. Lightening and static during a storm can take out the
front end of a receiver in a flash. Pun intended

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted just
above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole.

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

This is one of the unknowns. For amateurs, wind resistance calculations
are well known. A TV aerial installer will have no knowledge of this.
Our aerials that work from 50 Meg to 70 centimetres can be quite wide
and bulky. Thus giving a much higher wind resistance than expected.

Dave

dennis@home July 18th 10 08:24 AM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

David WE Roberts[_2_] July 18th 10 12:40 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
Being a white stick radio operator, I have to find someone to put the
antenna up on the chimney stack for me, but before I do, I need some
advice please.

Obviously, a small pole needs to be attached to the chimney stack so that
the antenna which is a glass fibre aerial weighing 0.9Kg can be fitted
just above the stack itself. Neither I nor my neighbour have chimney pots.

I would estimate that the pole would be overall about 3 feet long and then
the antenna fitted at the top of the pole to clear the stack.

Should I use 1 or 2 lashing kits to hold the pole. The pole will be 2"
alli scaffold, already obtained, curtousy of the housing refurbishment
contractors.

I have written consent from my neighbours because the chimney stack
belongs to both of us.

I put up an alloy scaffold pole as a TV aerial pole a few years back.
However it was a lot more than 3' long - taller than me so 2-3 metres.

I used a couple of very large lashing kits to hold the pole.

The aerial is still up there, and well above any others around it.

If it is only 3' then one lashing kit might do - although you don't say how
long the aerial is.
Short and stumpy will exert less lateral pull than a very tall one.
If there is any doubt I would use 2 - the cost of a lashing kit will be
small compared to the cost of someone going up there and fixing it.

HTH

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

the_constructor[_2_] July 18th 10 03:06 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I am a licensed radio ham. Jim G1SSO located in County Durham.

The bracketry I was thinking of is something like this:

http://www.aerialshack.com/inch-chim...ket-p-346.html

This is the spec of the antenna:

Compact white fibreglass dual-band base antenna for 2m and 70cm.

Frequency Bands 2m/70cm
Max Power 200W
Length 1.7m
Radials 3
Gain (2m) 4.5dB
Gain (70cm) 7.2dB
Weight 0.9kg
Type (2m) 3 x 1/4 wave
Type (70cm) 3 x 5/8 wave

The alli tube that I have is 2" dia and roughly 3/8" wall. As I say, I would
imagine all I need is about 3 feet.

I was thinking of running a 10mm green earth cable from the mounting
brackets down to a ground spike, but someone commented that it may upset the
antenna. Also I want a termination box with an N socket attached, on the
wall in my shack and to run a similar cable to ground.

All comments gratefully received.

Jim

tony sayer July 18th 10 04:02 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

Thats not that much of a load but its more of a load that I'd feel happy
with the bract chosen for what your trying to do!.. Put it on a decent
lashing, a competent aerial rigger if you have one round your away can
advise. Or if you have one a decent couple of wall brackets on a gable
end might be better.

It should be able to clamp to a standard 50 mm dia pole we use similar
aerials for PMR applications and don't have problems usually they come
with their own brackets sometimes we have to supply them but it
shouldn't be rocket science.

The bit about earthing sounds duff info!, you won't upset the aerial at
all at those frequencies. Very very few aerials on domestic premises are
earthed with a view to lightning protection, this does require more than
a bit of Green earth wire a solid lump of Ally or copper and earthing
plates or driven electrodes are required.

An "N" type outlet shouldn't be a problem either and earthing that and
disconnecting the aerial lead in thundery weather might be better then
nothing. If your belted by a direct strike expect that to be vaporised
and an insurance claim!. What it will help with is small induced
current side swipes..

73's
--
Tony Sayer

zaax July 18th 10 04:59 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

the_constructor wrote:

[...]

Stick a pole in the ground it much easier to take down when you need to
put up another type of ariel. The ariel can be 15M from ground level. A
tempory wind up / down one can be as high as needed.

--
---
zaax

the_constructor[_2_] July 18th 10 05:43 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"zaax" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, this is not an option.

Jim

dave July 18th 10 05:59 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 18/07/2010 15:06, the_constructor wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I am using the same thing for my tri bander on the corner of the house
and it has been up over ten years now without a problem at all.

Just popped up to the shack to check on a dual bander that must be very
similar to yours and that came with 4 foot 25 mm or one inch diam
aluminium pole about 4 foot long.

This is the spec of the antenna:

Compact white fibreglass dual-band base antenna for 2m and 70cm.

Frequency Bands 2m/70cm
Max Power 200W
Length 1.7m
Radials 3
Gain (2m) 4.5dB
Gain (70cm) 7.2dB
Weight 0.9kg
Type (2m) 3 x 1/4 wave
Type (70cm) 3 x 5/8 wave

Very similar to the one I have in storage.

The alli tube that I have is 2" dia and roughly 3/8" wall. As I say, I would
imagine all I need is about 3 feet.

Or just enough to get the radials above the chimney pot. But this is
where length matters ;-)

I was thinking of running a 10mm green earth cable from the mounting
brackets down to a ground spike, but someone commented that it may upset the
antenna.

It won't upset the aerial at VHF and above, but it won't do anything to
prevent lightening striking either. You will only need an earth for HF.
and that is only for ballancing the antenna system.

Also I want a termination box with an N socket attached, on the
wall in my shack and to run a similar cable to ground.

A good choice and make sure you un-plug when there is static (warm dry
weather and high winds.) or thunder in the area. I once lost the front
end of a UHF rig through that.

Dave g6khp

dave July 18th 10 06:05 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 18/07/2010 08:24, dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

You didn't declare what the aerial style or size was. Are you saying
that you are an expert in this field as well?

Dave

dennis@home July 18th 10 06:34 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"dave" wrote in message
On 18/07/2010 08:24, dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

You didn't declare what the aerial style or size was. Are you saying that
you are an expert in this field as well?

No one has said how big the aerial is, yet!
Lots have advised how to fix said unknown aerial.
Are you psychic now?
PS I do know a bit about aerials but I wouldn't dream of advising anyone on
how to fix an unknown aerial in an unknown location on an unknown chimney,
which as you may note I didn't.

Dave

fred July 18th 10 06:35 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

In article ,
the_constructor writes

The bracketry I was thinking of is something like this:

http://www.aerialshack.com/inch-chim...ket-p-346.html

This is the spec of the antenna:

Compact white fibreglass dual-band base antenna for 2m and 70cm.

Frequency Bands 2m/70cm
Max Power 200W
Length 1.7m
Radials 3
Gain (2m) 4.5dB
Gain (70cm) 7.2dB
Weight 0.9kg
Type (2m) 3 x 1/4 wave
Type (70cm) 3 x 5/8 wave

The alli tube that I have is 2" dia and roughly 3/8" wall. As I say, I would
imagine all I need is about 3 feet.

Compared with a moderate TV aerial, that is really quite a light load as
far as windage is concerned. I would be happy to use a single lashing
kit but would use a 9" bracket instead as that will spread the load over
3 bricks. The style of bracket you chose is fine, I have use the same to
good effect.

9" bracket:
http://www.aerialshack.com/inch-chim...et-p-1218.html

I assume it's galvanised, it looks it, find another if it isn't.
--
fred

No Name July 18th 10 09:01 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 18 Jul,
"the_constructor" wrote:

Yes, I am a licensed radio ham. Jim G1SSO located in County Durham.

I'n not far south of you, about 400 metres out of Co. Durham, G3V..

The bracketry I was thinking of is something like this:

http://www.aerialshack.com/inch-chim...ket-p-346.html

That's a handy site, I've been looking for 2.5 inch V brackets at a price
without exhorbitant postage. I put up a TV aerial on a 10ft pole on T&Ks on
my side wall recently. I've been since inundated with marauding crows, whose
early morning antics managed to loosen the brackets (mounted with 8mm
expanding bolts into bodger Ba**et's finest bricklaying) due to the whip in
the (too thin wall) 10' ali pole. I've replaced the expanding bolts with 10mm
resin fix ones (in different bricks) and the pole with a 2" dia ali 8'
scaffold pole surmounted with a cranked pole for the aerials, to get them
away from over the path so they can use the gutter for what birds do over
cars.

So far this had done the trick, but I had to bodge the u bolts to fit the
larger pole. I now have the correct size on order.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

dave July 18th 10 09:19 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 18/07/2010 18:34, dennis@home wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
On 18/07/2010 08:24, dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

You didn't declare what the aerial style or size was. Are you saying
that you are an expert in this field as well?

No one has said how big the aerial is, yet!

The OP did.

Lots have advised how to fix said unknown aerial.

It isn't an unknown aerial to anyone who is competent, or familiar with
the frequency and specifications.

Are you psychic now?
PS I do know a bit about aerials but I wouldn't dream of advising anyone
on how to fix an unknown aerial

No, but...

I know the exact aerial he is talking about, having had them for quite a
number of years.

in an unknown location on an unknown
chimney, which as you may note I didn't.

I have over 30 years experience of erecting amateur antennas and never
once has one been blown down.

Dave

dave July 18th 10 09:22 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 18/07/2010 17:43, the_constructor wrote:
wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

For the obvious reasons that a pole would be subject to much more wind
doors windows through.

Dave

dennis@home July 18th 10 10:01 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"dave" wrote in message
On 18/07/2010 08:24, dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

That seems quite small compared with many TV aerials, although I
have no idea what shape, and more importantly, wind resistance
the glass fibre aerial has, but providing it's not large, one
lashing kit should be fine.

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

You didn't declare what the aerial style or size was. Are you saying
that you are an expert in this field as well?

No one has said how big the aerial is, yet!

The OP did.

After I replied!

Lots have advised how to fix said unknown aerial.

It isn't an unknown aerial to anyone who is competent, or familiar with
the frequency and specifications.

Are you psychic now?
PS I do know a bit about aerials but I wouldn't dream of advising anyone
on how to fix an unknown aerial

No, but...

I know the exact aerial he is talking about, having had them for quite a
number of years.

in an unknown location on an unknown
chimney, which as you may note I didn't.

I have over 30 years experience of erecting amateur antennas and never
once has one been blown down.

Well lucky you.
How many have you done?
Do you want me to send you the addresses of some I have seen blown down so
you can go and tell them what they did wrong?

dave July 18th 10 10:19 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"dave" wrote in message
[...]

I have totally lost count of the numbers, but as a radio amateur, you
experiment with antennas very regularly. In the past, I have built as
many as 4 in as many days.

Do you want me to send you the addresses of some I have seen blown down
so you can go and tell them what they did wrong?

I don't like to communicate with stupid people.

Dave

Mark July 18th 10 11:33 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

dennis@home wrote:

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

You didn't declare what the aerial style or size was. Are you saying that
you are an expert in this field as well?

No one has said how big the aerial is, yet!

He did

Length 1.7m
Radials 3
Weight 0.9kg
Type (2m) 3 x 1/4 wave
Type (70cm) 3 x 5/8 wave

PS I do know a bit about aerials

LOL

Bill July 18th 10 11:37 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

In message , writes
That's a handy site, I've been looking for 2.5 inch V brackets at a price
without exhorbitant postage. I put up a TV aerial on a 10ft pole on T&Ks on
my side wall recently. I've been since inundated with marauding crows,

Crows can be a radio engineers best friend too.

I had a PMR base on a site with a 100 foot tower in Nottingham and the
customer complained of intermittent poor range. I went up there twice
and checked the base and the aerial were OK. The aerial I swept from
ground level and it checked OK. On the third visit I was getting the
same results and beginning to suspect foul play, the customer had a few
enemies and had in the past had his system jammed. Any way all of a
sudden the aerial showed a fault for a couple of seconds, this happened
2 or 3 times in quick succession. Standing in the doorway of the site
hut and looking up a crow was perched on top of the aerial and every
time it took off the aerial, 3m long fibreglass tube waved about. I
thanked the crow for its help and ordered a new aerial.

On the subject of chimneys I would go for

http://www.aerialshack.com/aerial-ch...ger-aerials-p-
497.html

it is more expensive but will withstand the loading the OP has in mind
with no problems at all and although it still has only one lashing wire
it has more metal against the stack and will be less prone to twisting,
not that the first one mentioned probably would either. But this
definitely would not.

Within reason try and get the aerial as high above the chimney as
aesthetics will allow, this will give a better take off, especially if
you have neighbouring chimneys and roofs near by.

--
Bill

zaax July 19th 10 01:06 AM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

wind loading, that could result in it coming down in a storm and
putting next doors windows through.

Dave

How do you work that one out? I would prefure to repair a window rather
than a chimney.

--
---

dennis@home July 19th 10 11:13 AM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

"Mark" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

I have seen amateur radio aerials on the ground, still attached to the
chimney, they can be rather large compared to a TV aerial.

You didn't declare what the aerial style or size was. Are you saying
that
you are an expert in this field as well?

No one has said how big the aerial is, yet!

He did

Yes, after I posted.

Doesn't anyone in this group know that usenet is an asynchronous mechanism.

dennis@home July 19th 10 11:25 AM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

On 2010-07-18, Mark wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

PS I do know a bit about aerials

LOL

That would be a first ...

How would you know, you appear to know nothing about anything, all you do is
assume geoff is correct which is a big mistake on anyone part.
I think you, geoff aand drivel are the same person.

BTW, I've had a 2m folded dipole on a chimney for ~15 years, using a
standard TV lashing kit without any issues (at least relating to the
mounting - the UV hasn't been kind to the plastic parts of the aerial.)

Well if you go into the car park at the doctors surgery at #6 High Street,
West Bromwich you can have a look at the now horizontally polarised vertical
whip aerial that's fallen down in the winds.
That one is a bit bigger at about 5m in length and still has the guy lines
attached.
The pole broke before the chimney which is probably the prefered failure
mode.

A falling aerial does a lot less damage than a falling chimney most of the
time.
You don't want a pole that will pull the chimney down before breaking which
nobody appears to have told the OP.

dave July 19th 10 06:09 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

[...]

Because a 15 M pole needs a lot more to secure it to a building than a
vertical antenna. I know, as I have had a shorter one bolted to my back
wall and it can get quite vocal in high winds.

Work out the wind loading a 2 M aerial and again for a 15 M pole and
come back with the results.

I would prefure to repair a window rather
than a chimney.

The chimney can be claimed on the house insurance, a 15 M pole could not.

Dave

geoff July 19th 10 08:57 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

On 2010-07-18, Mark wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

PS I do know a bit about aerials

LOL

That would be a first ...

How would you know, you appear to know nothing about anything, all you
do is assume geoff is correct which is a big mistake on anyone part.

That's not something which happens on a regular basis

other than the fact that we probably agree that you are a total eejit

--
geoff

dave July 21st 10 10:20 PM

Radio Antenna On Chimney ?

[...]

Please let us/me know how you go on. Many years ago, it was a white
stick operator that taught me about microprocessors when IBM first
thought about the format of a desk top.

He used to wire his computers around Motorola chips at that time using
wire wrap techniques.

One of the best things he taught me, was never take a step forward, that
I couldn't take back.

Dave