Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rapid and DHL

Had a card through the door from DHL saying they'd tried to deliver a
parcel, and they'd try again the next day - or to collect from the depot
the day after that. And I was expecting a few things by post or whatever.
They didn't deliver the next day - I stayed in just in case. So a pain.
Yesterday, went to collect it - a special journey.
And it turned out to be a f***ing Rapid electronics catalogue that would
have gone through the letterbox.

Normally, DHL are usually very good at re-delivering. So is it they were
saving time and money with something so unimportant? And why require a sig
for something like this?

--
*If you think this van is dirty, you should try having sex with the driver*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Had a card through the door from DHL saying they'd tried to deliver a
parcel, and they'd try again the next day - or to collect from the depot
the day after that. And I was expecting a few things by post or whatever.
They didn't deliver the next day - I stayed in just in case. So a pain.
Yesterday, went to collect it - a special journey.
And it turned out to be a f***ing Rapid electronics catalogue that would
have gone through the letterbox.

Normally, DHL are usually very good at re-delivering. So is it they were
saving time and money with something so unimportant? And why require a sig
for something like this?

Normally all couriers require a signature, unless the sender requests
differently

One reason I don't use DHL for day to day consignments is that they
refuse to accept special instructions

The other reason is, if course, that they are crap

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Had a card through the door from DHL saying they'd tried to deliver a
parcel, and they'd try again the next day - or to collect from the
depot the day after that. And I was expecting a few things by post or
whatever. They didn't deliver the next day - I stayed in just in case.
So a pain. Yesterday, went to collect it - a special journey. And it
turned out to be a f***ing Rapid electronics catalogue that would have
gone through the letterbox.

Normally, DHL are usually very good at re-delivering. So is it they
were saving time and money with something so unimportant? And why
require a sig for something like this?

Normally all couriers require a signature, unless the sender requests
differently

I can see that - so it's Rapid's fault?

One reason I don't use DHL for day to day consignments is that they
refuse to accept special instructions

Right.

The other reason is, if course, that they are crap

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries.
Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the only
carrier I've had problems with.

When I moaned to the counter guy that it would have gone through the
letter box, his response suggested I wasn't the first.

--
*Some days you're the dog, some days the hydrant.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Had a card through the door from DHL saying they'd tried to deliver a
parcel, and they'd try again the next day - or to collect from the
depot the day after that. And I was expecting a few things by post or
whatever. They didn't deliver the next day - I stayed in just in case.
So a pain. Yesterday, went to collect it - a special journey. And it
turned out to be a f***ing Rapid electronics catalogue that would have
gone through the letterbox.

Normally, DHL are usually very good at re-delivering. So is it they
were saving time and money with something so unimportant? And why
require a sig for something like this?

Normally all couriers require a signature, unless the sender requests
differently

I can see that - so it's Rapid's fault?

I really can't see why they would use DHL for delivering catalogues

One reason I don't use DHL for day to day consignments is that they
refuse to accept special instructions

Right.

The other reason is, if course, that they are crap

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries.
Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the only
carrier I've had problems with.

When I moaned to the counter guy that it would have gone through the
letter box, his response suggested I wasn't the first.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:27:57 +0100, geoff wrote:

I really can't see why they would use DHL for delivering catalogues

Not in isolation - but they probably have a good deal with them that
works out cheaper than the PO.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries.
Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the only
carrier I've had problems with.

Go on then:-) My next door neighbour has a note in the door asking that any
parcels should only be delivered to no 11 if he is not in.

This is not a slur on me receiving his parcels it is just that I am usually
at work when parcels are delivered and the lady at no 11 is retired and is
usually at home in the daytime.

I came home early from work one day and Parcal Farce tried to deliver a
parcel to my next door neighbour. The driver was able to work out that I
lived at no 7 and would not let me sign for the parcel. He also refused to
let me sign for the parcel even after I had unlocked no9s front door. I have
a key to feed his cat when needed and was stood inside my next door
neighbours house when Parcal Farce refused my sig.

Now that is a jobsworth.

Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 01:14:21 +0100, geoff wrote:

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
Had a card through the door from DHL saying they'd tried to deliver a
parcel, and they'd try again the next day - or to collect from the depot
the day after that. And I was expecting a few things by post or whatever.
They didn't deliver the next day - I stayed in just in case. So a pain.
Yesterday, went to collect it - a special journey.
And it turned out to be a f***ing Rapid electronics catalogue that would
have gone through the letterbox.

Normally, DHL are usually very good at re-delivering. So is it they were
saving time and money with something so unimportant? And why require a sig
for something like this?

Normally all couriers require a signature, unless the sender requests
differently

My Rapid catalogue was left outside the door.

One reason I don't use DHL for day to day consignments is that they
refuse to accept special instructions

Not entirely true, but you need to file an instruction at their local depot, e.g. to tell them that
delivering to next door is OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2010 00:00, ARWadsworth wrote:
"Dave Plowman wrote in message

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries.
Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the only
carrier I've had problems with.

Go on then:-) My next door neighbour has a note in the door asking that any
parcels should only be delivered to no 11 if he is not in.

My neighbour has a note on his door,

"we are not allowed to accept packages for Adrian"

I never said he couldn't (it would be *useful* if he did... ) but since
I think he is a cantankerous old sod (and he thinks I am some sort of
criminal) I'm almost thinking of sticking a visible reply on my door

"Due to items going missing,
please don't leave deliveries next door!"

'
'
'

But, we are good folk - and won't stoop to playing his games ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Harrison wrote:
My Rapid catalogue was left outside the door.

Was it sent by DHL? If so it should have been signed for.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 10:25:01 +0100, Adrian C wrote:
On 24/04/2010 00:00, ARWadsworth wrote:
"Dave Plowman wrote in message

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries.
Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the only
carrier I've had problems with.

Go on then:-) My next door neighbour has a note in the door asking that any
parcels should only be delivered to no 11 if he is not in.

My neighbour has a note on his door,

"we are not allowed to accept packages for Adrian"

I never said he couldn't (it would be *useful* if he did... ) but since
I think he is a cantankerous old sod (and he thinks I am some sort of
criminal) I'm almost thinking of sticking a visible reply on my door

"Due to items going missing,
please don't leave deliveries next door!"

It's almost worth couriering a parcel to his address, but with your name
on it :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:
My Rapid catalogue was left outside the door.

Was it sent by DHL? If so it should have been signed for.

DHL do postal services as well as parcels.
Then even have the ability to feed the mail into RM for the postie to
actually deliver it to the letter box.
The only restriction is the cost as RM has a monopoly below a certain value
(what?, I don't know ATM).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:27:57 +0100, geoff wrote:

I really can't see why they would use DHL for delivering catalogues

Not in isolation - but they probably have a good deal with them that
works out cheaper than the PO.

But only useful if, in the case of something of little material value
sent out on spec - a catalogue for example, can be left and not signed
for

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

[...]

Not as bad as the DHL driver who we stopped while he was picking up from
another company in the estate, showed him the (DHL) order and parcel,
and he refused to take it because it wasn't on his manifest

DHL had to send another van out specially from borehamwood to watford at
5pm on a friday just to pick this one parcel up

.... and I had to wait until 6:30 when the driver eventually arrived to
take said parcel

I could go on ...

useless band of ****tards

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Harrison
writes
[...]

I do over £10,000 with couriers

I don't have time to piddle about with dinosaurs who can't / wont adapt
to suit the needs of customers

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
[...]

Well he sounds a charming fellow. I am not sure I would want my mail to be
signed for by him. Tis an ambition though of mine to be one day be a
cantankerous old sod. I am going to buy a stick to poke people with and
queue jump in shops etc:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Apr, 19:20, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message

[...]

..... whilst jousting allcomers on your borrowed-from-store yet
"essential" mobility scooter...

;)

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries.
Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the only
carrier I've had problems with.

Oddly enough, Parcel Force are the only carrier we don't have problems
with. They are punctual, fairly intelligent and if they can't deliver or
find we're out their sorting office is fairly close to the house so it's
not a trial to pick the delivery up on a Saturday morning.

The courier services plumb the depths of ineptitude and "Can't give a
****Wittery". City Link don't even seem to try to deliver. They just
claim we're not on satnav (a lie) and insist that I drive 25 miles to
pick up the package. Lynx seem to delight in wrecking anything given to
them, never had an intact delivery and they *always* blame "inadequate
packaging". Most of the others are play knock and run away games.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message
On 25 Apr, 19:20, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message

[...]

I have added your suggestion to "the things to do when I become an old git
list". A pity that I will not be able to say/shout "during the war" or "in
old pence that only cost".

I actually do wonder what people my age will be able to shout about when we
do get old.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2010 19:54, ARWadsworth wrote:
I have added your suggestion to "the things to do when I become an old git
list". A pity that I will not be able to say/shout "during the war" or "in
old pence that only cost".

I actually do wonder what people my age will be able to shout about when we
do get old.

"HELLO"

"GOOD MORNING!"

"YOU GONE DEAF, TOO?"

"YEAH, THAT BLOODY APPLE IPOD DID ME EARS IN! YOU TOO?"

"NAH, ANGLE GRINDER..."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 19:54

"JimK" wrote in message
On 25 Apr, 19:20, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message

[...]

Still time for WW III

Or

"I remember when you could stand outside the Houses of Parliament with a
placard..."

"I remember the days before speed cameras"

"We used to take cap guns to school"

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 19:54

"in old pence that only cost".

"Petrol was only a pound a litre"
"What's a pound???"

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 19:54

"in old pence that only cost".

"Petrol was only a pound a litre"
"What's a pound???"

Gallon or petrol?

vbg

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 21:32

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 19:54

"in old pence that only cost".

"Petrol was only a pound a litre"
"What's a pound???"

Gallon or petrol?

"In my day, real men drank a pint of beer, not these short half litres..."

"We used to drink warm brown beer and we liked it!"

"My computer had 1 gigabyte of RAM and a 200GB hard disk..."
"Daddy, what's a hard disk?"

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 19:54

"in old pence that only cost".

"Petrol was only a pound a litre"
"What's a pound???"

Gallon or petrol?

"In my day, real men drank a pint of beer, not these short half litres..."

"We used to drink warm brown beer and we liked it!"

"My computer had 1 gigabyte of RAM and a 200GB hard disk..."
"Daddy, what's a hard disk?"

--
Tim Watts

My girlfriend is sure that she weighed less in stones and ounces than she
does in in kg.

I am not going to comment on that.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:49:35 +0100 ARWadsworth wrote :
My girlfriend is sure that she weighed less in stones and ounces
than she does in in kg.

I've spent many months wrestling with Eurocodes which are replacing
British Standards for structural design. My favourite quote comes
from David Brown of Steel Construction Institute who makes a point
of reminding his course attenders or article readers that changing
code provisions doesn't make a steel beam any stronger or weaker:
steel beams know nothing of codes - a beam which will happily
support 10 tonnes and collapse when you put 20 tonnes on it can't be
made stronger by using a different code.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 19:54:55 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I have added your suggestion to "the things to do when I become an old git
list". A pity that I will not be able to say/shout "during the war" or "in
old pence that only cost".

I actually do wonder what people my age will be able to shout about when we
do get old.

I would suggest: lost freedoms. "When I was you age we didn't get arrested for
...." - but you probably won't be allowed to :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 21:14:12 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:
ARWadsworth
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 19:54

"in old pence that only cost".

"Petrol was only a pound a litre"
"What's a pound???"

What's "petrol?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've not got your experience, but have found them OK for deliveries.
Usually get the same driver who is very pleasant. Parcel Farce is the
only carrier I've had problems with.

Oddly enough, Parcel Force are the only carrier we don't have problems
with. They are punctual, fairly intelligent and if they can't deliver or
find we're out their sorting office is fairly close to the house so it's
not a trial to pick the delivery up on a Saturday morning.

I've had no less than three items sent which didn't arrive. And all to
people I know so unlikely to be fraud. And the hoops you have to go
through to get compensation have to be seen to be believed...

As regards collection or sending things, Parcel Force used to be in
Vauxhall so close to others like DHL. Now they've moved to Mitcham - but
still have a large depot in Vauxhall. And the Mitcham place is near
inaccessible by PT. The Vauxhall one within walking distance of the tube
and overground.

The courier services plumb the depths of ineptitude and "Can't give a
****Wittery". City Link don't even seem to try to deliver. They just
claim we're not on satnav (a lie) and insist that I drive 25 miles to
pick up the package. Lynx seem to delight in wrecking anything given to
them, never had an intact delivery and they *always* blame "inadequate
packaging". Most of the others are play knock and run away games.

City Link has a depot just opposite where I used to work. So would have
been handy for sending things. But now don't accept non account customers.
And before that would only take payment by cheque.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
I think this needs to be a FAQ along the lines of;

"Q: Which courier service is best?"
"A: It depends."

I'm sure it does. Living in the centre of London suggests I should have
the best service.

Because IME, Parcel Force are the best, CityLink somewhere in the middle
and UPS unremittingly ****e.

Most things I buy from the US seem to come by UPS. Including stuff from
Digikey - and they manage to ship from California to London within 24
hours.

I generally use the ordinary PO as most of my stuff is small. And I've got
nothing but praise for them. Apart from closing my local sub PO where
parking or walking to was easy.

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Huge wrote:
Most things I buy from the US seem to come by UPS. Including stuff from
Digikey - and they manage to ship from California to London within 24
hours.

UPS have absolutely no difficulty getting stuff to the nearest depot
lickety-split. However, the last 12 miles seems to be impossible for
them.

I suppose I can see why if they have to make a special journey into the
sticks as it were. There must be a temptation to wait until they have
other items in that area.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 11:44*pm, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:27:57 +0100, geoff wrote:
I really can't see why they would use DHL for delivering catalogues

Not in isolation - but they probably have a good deal with them that
works out cheaper than the PO.

They normally use Business Post for orders over a certain weigh or
value threshold, Royal mail for everything else. Maybe DHL specialise
in heavy, low value consignments.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 24, 1:26*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in ...

In article ,
* Mike Harrison wrote:
My Rapid catalogue was left outside the door.

Was it sent by DHL? If so it should have been signed for.

DHL do postal services as well as parcels.

There's also the "DHL@Home" agents. They do not take things back to
the depot, but keep them in the back of their car for redelivery the
following day. You have to ring the agent (the depot will deny any
knowledge of the parcel) and tell him/her to take it to the depot from
where you will collect it. When you do, the depot staff will take at
least 10 minutes to find it.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On Apr 24, 1:26 pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in

In article ,
Mike Harrison wrote:
My Rapid catalogue was left outside the door.

Was it sent by DHL? If so it should have been signed for.

DHL do postal services as well as parcels.

There's also the "DHL@Home" agents. They do not take things back to
the depot, but keep them in the back of their car for redelivery the
following day. You have to ring the agent (the depot will deny any
knowledge of the parcel) and tell him/her to take it to the depot from
where you will collect it. When you do, the depot staff will take at
least 10 minutes to find it.

You phone the agent, discover he lives two streets away, pop around at 9 pm
and get your parcel.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 25 Apr, 21:49, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
My girlfriend is sure that she weighed less in stones and ounces than she
does in in kg.
I am not going to comment on that.

Why not, it's been a while since you had a thump!

Owain

Well it would hurt if she put her new weight behind the punch.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/04/2010 10:28, Huge wrote:

I think this needs to be a FAQ along the lines of;

"Q: Which courier service is best?"
"A: It depends."

Because IME, Parcel Force are the best, CityLink somewhere in the middle
and UPS unremittingly ****e.

Someone should do a website mash up of google maps and reviews of the
abilities of different parcel delivery firms. And then map that to names
of supplier companies that use those delivery firms.

At the top of this mash-up there would be a search page for products,
deliverable at your location with a results page listed in decending
'probablity of receiving item' order.

Eventually, someone would figure out the supplier with the highest
probability of getting product to yeself in the UK, would be a little
one man (and goat) operation in the outbacks of deepest china via eBay.
EMS is so cheap!!!

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:
I think this needs to be a FAQ along the lines of;

"Q: Which courier service is best?"
"A: It depends."

I'm sure it does. Living in the centre of London suggests I should have
the best service.

Because IME, Parcel Force are the best, CityLink somewhere in the middle
and UPS unremittingly ****e.

Most things I buy from the US seem to come by UPS. Including stuff from
Digikey - and they manage to ship from California to London within 24
hours.

I generally use the ordinary PO as most of my stuff is small. And I've got
nothing but praise for them. Apart from closing my local sub PO where
parking or walking to was easy.

The problem I have with the PO is that there is no easy to reach "buck
stops here" contact

When it's minus degrees and someone hasn't received their boiler pcb,
they don't want to be told to fill in a form if it hasn't turned up in
30 days

that's assuming that you get through to someone

With CityLink and APC, I have someone on the end of the phone who will
at least get some form of answer

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

The problem I have with the PO is that there is no easy to reach "buck
stops here" contact

When it's minus degrees and someone hasn't received their boiler pcb, they
don't want to be told to fill in a form if it hasn't turned up in 30 days

that's assuming that you get through to someone

Well as its your responsibility to deliver the part it doesn't matter if the
customer can't contact the courier.
All he has to do is contact you and let you sort it.
I assume he would have no trouble contacting you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
[...]

DHL is just a brand of the german post office, Deutsche Post. Crap just like
Royal Mail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , chunkyoldcortina
writes
geoff wrote:
[...]

Well, it is now

It was the same before DP bought them out

--
geoff