Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The future of DIY

On 15/01/10 15:50, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 15 Jan, 14:06,
wrote:

The only thing that might hinder that is if there are just too many rules
and regulations forbidding people from doing their own work within their
own homes...

That won't stop anyone, it just makes things go underground.

If the OP wants to increase the value of the whole DIY market they
should put some pressure on our lords and masters to fix the Part P
problems.

--
Bernard Peek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/10 00:32, Clive George wrote:
"John wrote in message
news
Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified
with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly
translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this product!

But what is nutritional value? I remember promises we'd all be eating tiny
pills in the future, packed with all the vitamins we'd need. Which
conveniently forgot all the carbohydrate, protein and fat we need to eat,
which is the bulk of food. Cornflakes do fairly well on the former don't
they?

Well as the main dietary problem seems to be obesity then a product with
zero nutritional content is probably better for most people than any
"natural" food.

--
Bernard Peek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:25:33 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than
calories. I think there are probably more usable calories in the
cornflakes but that doesn't mean its good for you.

If you read the boxes, I think you'll find that Special K has more
or less the same calories as Corn Flakes. They sell it at a premium
price, associating it with weight loss, but the weight loss is down
to the skimmed milk and black coffee.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile
walk, the box or the cornflakes?

You wouldn't need either for a mere 10 miles.

I'm beginning to side with geoff here...

Poor you.

You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than calories.

That's because you didn't say any such thing. Are you getting forgetful?
Google may be able to help you, but I doubt it.

I think there are probably more usable calories in the cornflakes but that
doesn't mean its good for you.

I can think of many situations where it does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news

It was said you would be better off eating the box and its probably true.

Wouldn't the box be made from wood pulp and therefore largely cellulose?
If so then one would have to be some sort of fungus to get at any
nutrients.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:42:21 +0000, "Mark" wibbled:

Yes it's a bit crazy when a fleece has a resale value to the farmer of
50p or under, and £1 or more to shear a sheep.

That's because they have to sell it to the Wool Marketing Board (except
maybe small farmers?)

http://www.britishwool.org.uk/

"The British Wool Marketing Board operates a central marketing system for
UK fleece wool with the aim of achieving the best possible net returns
for farmers."

Think that's one bunch of dinosaurs we would be better off without...

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...eting-boss-on-
pound140k-in-baa-rmy-pay-scandal.html

yep £100k+ salaries and final*salary*pensions, someone is surely*getting
fleeced. ;(*
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:46:55 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

There are a number of nutrients where "cofactors" are required to
metabolise them... IIRC to make use of dietary iron one

I read that as:- "... to make use of dietary iron ore..."

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

news:GKudnZbrGaxnUMnWnZ2dnUVZ7oidnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...

news:IZGdnbQTPN3s88nWnZ2dnUVZ8hSdnZ2d@brightvie w.co.uk...

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile
walk, the box or the cornflakes?

You wouldn't need either for a mere 10 miles.

I'm beginning to side with geoff here...

Poor you.

You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than calories.
I think there are probably more usable calories in the cornflakes but
that doesn't mean its good for you.

No you didn't, you said

"It was said you would be better off eating the box and its probably
true. "

Pennis - bender of the truth

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:

The problem I have with ordering stuff from Screwfix, Toolstation etc.
online is the need to be at home to take delivery and sign for things.

This is an issue internet retailers need to address.

Abso-bloody-lutely. I've been playing silly buggers with CityLink all
last week, during which I was actually at home all but Monday. According
to the website my parcel has been on and off the van several times, but
never actually made it to my house until today. When of course I was
back at work. Since they've now tried twice (Monday they dropped off one
of the two packages in the consignment with a neighbour) I have to get
myself over to Fareham to pick it up.

I can only pray that in a few years this sort of thing will be history.
I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be one.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
Tim

But they could get rid of that awful looking recycled plastic wool (looks
like afire hazard, even if it is doused in chemicals) and start selling
sheeps wool insulation (why doesn't anyone?).

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must
be possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the
insane prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project
if it were more affordable.

And I am perfectly sire it makes the very best habitat, where sprays
cant get, for fleass and ticks.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:

The problem I have with ordering stuff from Screwfix, Toolstation etc.
online is the need to be at home to take delivery and sign for things.

This is an issue internet retailers need to address.

Abso-bloody-lutely. I've been playing silly buggers with CityLink all
last week, during which I was actually at home all but Monday. According
to the website my parcel has been on and off the van several times, but
never actually made it to my house until today. When of course I was
back at work. Since they've now tried twice (Monday they dropped off one
of the two packages in the consignment with a neighbour) I have to get
myself over to Fareham to pick it up.

I can only pray that in a few years this sort of thing will be history.
I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be one.

The problem from the other side, is that you ship out a hundred quids
worth of gear, unsigned for, and the pikey thieving ******* at the other
end claims it never arrived.

We always allow alternative delivery addresses for people to receive
stuff at work.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 18/01/2010 23:46, John Rumm wrote:
Piers Finlayson wrote:

Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified
with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly
translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this
product!

I remember reading somewhere that although the human body does need e.g.
iron, research hasn't shown that the body can process it in the form in
which is a added to foods as "fortification". I forget the source, but as
John implies, one is probably better off eating decent stuff that doesn't
need the fortification in the first place!

There are a number of nutrients where "cofactors" are required to
metabolise them... IIRC to make use of dietary iron one also needs a
quantity of vitamin C much as in the same way to make use of calcium one
needs magnesium (which is why the calcium in cows milk is less useful
that it would at first appear)

Careful! You'll attract the attention of i*on j*stice. The notorious
usenet poster obsessed with the health issues of i*on o*verload. The one
who makes other posters avoid typing out the i*on word in full lest it
attract his attention.

(Not to say that i*on j*stice might not have a point, at least
sometimes. And don't forget haemochomatosis.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

There are a number of nutrients where "cofactors" are required to
metabolise them...

'Bout 30 years ago the peanuts/ pineapple one was discovered.
Probably been discredited by now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 03:05:05 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wibbled:

geraldthehamster wrote:
Tim

But they could get rid of that awful looking recycled plastic wool
(looks like afire hazard, even if it is doused in chemicals) and
start selling sheeps wool insulation (why doesn't anyone?).

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must be
possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the insane
prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project if it
were more affordable.

And I am perfectly sire it makes the very best habitat, where sprays
cant get, for fleass and ticks.

Wouldn't have thought so, any more than glasswool. Fleas and ticks hang
around in sheeps wool because there's a big juicy lump of meat coursing
with blood underneath.

That (hopefully) not being true of a typical roof, what would they be
doing there?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:25:33 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than
calories. I think there are probably more usable calories in the
cornflakes but that doesn't mean its good for you.

If you read the boxes, I think you'll find that Special K has more
or less the same calories as Corn Flakes. They sell it at a premium
price, associating it with weight loss, but the weight loss is down
to the skimmed milk and black coffee.

Special k is, at least in part, whole wheat and is only 94p a box in asda.
I happen to like it if I don't have time to microwave some porridge.
BTW porridge has about the same nutritional values as cornflakes but without
the vitamins so i suppose some would claim its worse for you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile
walk, the box or the cornflakes?

You wouldn't need either for a mere 10 miles.

I'm beginning to side with geoff here...

Poor you.

You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than
calories.

That's because you didn't say any such thing. Are you getting forgetful?
Google may be able to help you, but I doubt it.

I listed the differences and said the box was probably better for you than
the original cornflakes.

I think there are probably more usable calories in the cornflakes but
that doesn't mean its good for you.

I can think of many situations where it does.

I don't see many people that would starve to death if you deprived them of
their cornflakes.
I am also fairly certain that the basic grains could make better foods for
those that actually need the food.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

No you didn't, you said

"It was said you would be better off eating the box and its probably true.
"

Pennis - bender of the truth

Sorry geoff I obviously meant how bad it was when I said better off.
I understand how easy it is for you to confuse better off with how bad it is
rather than goodness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:02:40 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

On 18 Jan, 22:21, Tony Bryer wrote:
If you read the boxes, I think you'll find that Special K has more
or less the same calories as Corn Flakes. They sell it at a premium
price, associating it with weight loss, but the weight loss is down
to the skimmed milk and black coffee.

Kelloggs Corn Flakes 372 kcal per 100g, Fat (g) 0.9, saturates (g) 0.2
Kellogs Special K 374 kcal per 100g, Fat (g) 1.5, saturates (g) 0.5

According to Kelloggs UK website just now. So Special K actually has
more than twice the saturated fat of Ordinary K.

As a diabetic I take a lot of interest in the carbohydrate and sugar
content of foods. Up until about 10-12 years ago I used to buy
Special K because it was low in added sugars. Total sugar was only
5.5%.

Since then, Kelloggs have steadily increased the amount of added
sugar. I stopped buying it when total sugars reached 8.5%. I was
shocked to see that the total sugar is now 17%!!! The whole of that
difference is added sucrose.

So much for Special K being a healthy cereal!

If you buy Special K in other European countries, it has a much lower
sugar content than the UK version. Even the US version - in a country
where highly sugared breakfast cereals are the norm - has only 13%
total sugars.

Corn Flakes have only 8% total sugar. Unfortunately maize, as used in
Corn Flakes, has a higher glycaemic index than the rice and wheat used
in Special K, so it isn't especially well suited to diabetics either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:20:29 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:

The problem I have with ordering stuff from Screwfix, Toolstation etc.
online is the need to be at home to take delivery and sign for things.

This is an issue internet retailers need to address.

Abso-bloody-lutely. I've been playing silly buggers with CityLink all
last week, during which I was actually at home all but Monday. According
to the website my parcel has been on and off the van several times, but
never actually made it to my house until today. When of course I was
back at work. Since they've now tried twice (Monday they dropped off one
of the two packages in the consignment with a neighbour) I have to get
myself over to Fareham to pick it up.

I can only pray that in a few years this sort of thing will be history.
I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be one.

One solution is to use Collect+.

Collect+ is a parcel delivery service run by Home Delivery Network who
deliver for a wide range of mail order companies. The difference is
that Collect+ collects and delivers parcels from/to local retailers
rather than your home.

The retailers are members of the PayPoint network and are usually
local convenience stores that open early and late. You can choose to
receive either an SMS text message to your phone or an email when the
item is ready for collection. You then collect the parcel at a time
to suit you.

Prices are very reasonable, with a flat rate of £4.49 for up to 10 kg.
However, there is currently no service for heavier items.

http://www.collectplus.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/01/2010 23:53, Owain wrote:

Also M&S - on some websites I get a M&S advert showing things I
browsed on the M&S site months ago.

Maplin's links are returned in the main results list of google, not only
in the sponsored section.

I'll be querying on their site for "newel post cap" for the next few
days, let's see what happens.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bruce" wrote in message

Corn Flakes have only 8% total sugar. Unfortunately maize, as used in
Corn Flakes, has a higher glycaemic index than the rice and wheat used
in Special K, so it isn't especially well suited to diabetics either.

Oops :-) I'm type 1, and happily eat them occasionally. However I alter
insulin doses to suit. Ditto with all the other things diabetics aren't
allowed to eat...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

If you'd actually listed the differences, you might have a point. But you
didn't, which means you're just lying.

Question is, why? All you're doing is making yourself look stupid. Stick to
the truth.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:36:49 -0000, "Clive George"
wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

Corn Flakes have only 8% total sugar. Unfortunately maize, as used in
Corn Flakes, has a higher glycaemic index than the rice and wheat used
in Special K, so it isn't especially well suited to diabetics either.

Oops :-) I'm type 1, and happily eat them occasionally. However I alter
insulin doses to suit. Ditto with all the other things diabetics aren't
allowed to eat...

Of course. I'm Type 2, so my approach has to be very different.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Pete Verdon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:

[...]

Quite a few years ago SWMBO answered to door to a local CID constable. He
wanted to know if she ever ordered from the catalogues like John Moores,
Grattons etc.

Apparently there was a gang following the delivery van & whenever a parcel
was left in the porch or on the doorstep they would nick it. Highly
organised racket from the sound of it.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

You are geoff AICMFP.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

You are geoff AICMFP.

You are incorrect.

But you are a thick **** so it it should not bother you.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:25:33 -0000 Dennis@home wrote :
You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than
calories. I think there are probably more usable calories in the
cornflakes but that doesn't mean its good for you.

If you read the boxes, I think you'll find that Special K has more
or less the same calories as Corn Flakes. They sell it at a premium
price, associating it with weight loss, but the weight loss is down
to the skimmed milk and black coffee.

Special k is, at least in part, whole wheat and is only 94p a box in asda.
I happen to like it if I don't have time to microwave some porridge.
BTW porridge has about the same nutritional values as cornflakes but
without the vitamins so i suppose some would claim its worse for you.

Are you Drivels dad?

He talks as much oblox as you, and stuff like that runs in the family..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
On 14 Jan, 20:30, John Rumm wrote:

My experience with buying timber from anywhere is that I often want to
be able to inspect pieces individually - you can buy constructional
stuff unseen, but architraves, skirting etc are another matter. If you
don't want the twisted, split stuff with knots falling out chucked on
the lorry, you need to select it yourself really - that goes for a
builder's merchant as much as for B&Q, although with B&Q timber
mouldings you can at least guarantee consistency (that is, you know it
will be crap). So timber for internal carpentry wouldn't really work
for me, online.

Cheers
Richard

I wouldn't buy skirting from B&Q, price and quality aside, it isn't long
enough to have a single length in an average room. I don't want joins in
skirting. At timber merchants you can get it 5.1 metres long and sometimes
longer. The pre-primed mdf skirting is 5.49m (18ft). It is cheaper per/m
than B&Q and with the longer lengths it can be used more efficiently with
regards to unusable off cuts and thus a further cost advantage.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Neil
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

Certainly Drivel and Pennis have never been seen in the same room
together, it could be more serious

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Neil
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

You could be right about it being in the family geof.
There are a few in here that could be yours.

There is even one idiot that totally ignores where I said the original
cornflakes and then starts arguing about what's in the stuff they sell now
with what I said.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Neil
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

You mean me? (having you call me an idiot is about as effective an insult as
dribble calling somebody a plant pot)

You lied about what you posted. Admit that, and then we might have the
beginnings of a rational argument. Carry on lying, and you just make
yourself look stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The only thing that might hinder that is if there are just too many
rules
and regulations forbidding people from doing their own work within
their own homes...

That won't stop anyone, it just makes things go underground.

If the OP wants to increase the value of the whole DIY market they
should put some pressure on our lords and masters to fix the Part P
problems.

I suspect that part P is a non issue for most DIY since it seems most
folks have never heard of it, and of those who have, I have not met
one who takes any notice of it unless forced to by other LBA
involvement in a project.

I'd guess that 80% of the people asking me to do electrical work haven't
heard of it, the other 20% have a vague idea that 'the law has changed' but
don't know any details.

--
Dave - the small piece of 14th century armour used to protect the armpit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon wrote:

I've been playing silly buggers with CityLink all last week

[...]
I can only pray that in a few years this sort of thing will be
history. I don't know what the solution is, but there has to be one.

The problem from the other side, is that you ship out a hundred quids
worth of gear, unsigned for, and the pikey thieving ******* at the other
end claims it never arrived.

Yep, that's part of the problem, and a solution would need to cover it.
That's why it's a difficult problem.

We always allow alternative delivery addresses for people to receive
stuff at work.

That's good. When I first started at my current job I got some things
delivered to work, but after a while the Goods Inwards people told me it
wasn't allowed. I'm fortunate in that I can work from home if I'm
expecting a delivery, but I don't like to do it too often as it does
reduce my productivity.

I must get round to asking someone more senior at work about an official
policy for personal deliveries - perhaps the Goods Inwards blokes just
make up their own rules to make their lives easier? I think it would be
better for the company all round if I can get stuff delivered there
rather than being at home, and I'm sure we handle a lot less physical
stuff these days (the "paperless office" is a reality here) so it's not
like they're snowed under with company deliveries.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:20:29 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

I've been playing silly buggers with CityLink all last week

One solution is to use Collect+.

[...]
http://www.collectplus.co.uk/

The problem with all these kinds of service is that I don't get to
choose how my stuff is delivered. I'd be quite happy to pick my stuff up
from the corner shop at the end of my road, but that's no good when the
company I'm buying from wants to send it to my house during office hours
or to a depot in the next city.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Neil
writes
dennis@home wrote:
"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
[...]

Most people ignore what you say Pennis

.... because you mostly spout crap

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 21:30:22 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:20:29 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

I've been playing silly buggers with CityLink all last week

One solution is to use Collect+.

[...]
http://www.collectplus.co.uk/

The problem with all these kinds of service is that I don't get to
choose how my stuff is delivered. I'd be quite happy to pick my stuff up
from the corner shop at the end of my road, but that's no good when the
company I'm buying from wants to send it to my house during office hours
or to a depot in the next city.

True.

Collect+ would be even better if they could collect your parcel for
you from the seller, and deliver it to your local convenience store.

I used Collect+ several times during the postal strike and was very
happy with their service.

For parcels in the 1 kg to 10 kg range the Collect+ flat rate price of
£4.49 is astonishingly cheap. Royal Mail is cheaper below 1.25 kg.
Above 1 kg there is no second class post and first class is only 4p
cheaper at £4.45 from 1.0 to 1.25 kg.

Most of the packages I send out are below 1 kg so I have gone back to
using Royal Mail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On the subject of buying stuff for DIY (not breakfast), I can add:

In general I find the trade-orientated outlets painfully over-priced
and staffed by people who would not be allowed to work in B&Q, Wickes
or the like. Occasionally, and only occasionally, it is different.
These week I tried to buy a slightly unusual Honeywell actuator for a
valve on an underfloor system. I had the old one, so the part number
was clear and I had tested it away from the system to confirm that it
was caput. I e-mailed Honeywell and they gave me the names of the two
largest outlets - normally suppliers to the trade.

At major outlet number 1 (maybe the larger plumbing/heating group),
the man at the counter said he hadn't a clue, it wasn't on his system
and he wasn't sure. I suggested that he contacted Honeywell since
they had given me his Co's name. Grudgingly, he 'phoned and came back
with, "Yes, Honeywell has them, they're £24.40 inc. VAT".
"Please, order me one, I'm happy to pay in advance so that you know
that you won't be left with it", I replied.
"Oh, did I mention the £25 charge, 'cos we've got to order it", the
surly sod added.
My reply involved sex & travel

I 'phoned major outlet number 2, and asked again. "Don't see it on
our catalogue but give me a little while and I'll 'phone you back".
An hour later he did call back with the good news that he'd have in by
the next day. Price the same £24.40. When asked if he wanted payment
in advance he said no. When I collected it all I had to pay was the
price quoted. The intelligent employee even asked what it did and how
it worked so he'd know next time. When I told him about the other
outlet he laughed and said that he used to work for them and that it
went on all the time -- they just made prices up to rip-off non-trade
customers with special charges etc.

The second supplier is PTS part of BSS.
I will get all my special plumbing stuff from them in future. I'll
not name the other place but I'm sure lots of people know who they
are.
Naffer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:27:14 -0800 (PST), naffer wrote:

The second supplier is PTS part of BSS.

That's next door (in Northampton) to Plumb Center where I just bought some
taps, so there's a useful choice.
BTW, Plumb Centre was helpful and a couple of quid cheaper than on t'net.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
d wrote:
Bruce wrote:

http://www.collectplus.co.uk/

The problem with all these kinds of service is that I don't get to
choose how my stuff is delivered. I'd be quite happy to pick my stuff up
from the corner shop at the end of my road, but that's no good when the
company I'm buying from wants to send it to my house during office hours
or to a depot in the next city.

Collect+ would be even better if they could collect your parcel for
you from the seller

Still not sure that would work - most sellers don't want hordes of
individual couriers turning up to collect individual customers' orders.
They'll have one courier company they work with, who turns up the same
time each day, probably the same guy, and they load in their stack of
parcels and that's that.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:49:30 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

Bruce wrote:
d wrote:
Bruce wrote:

http://www.collectplus.co.uk/

The problem with all these kinds of service is that I don't get to
choose how my stuff is delivered. I'd be quite happy to pick my stuff up
from the corner shop at the end of my road, but that's no good when the
company I'm buying from wants to send it to my house during office hours
or to a depot in the next city.

Collect+ would be even better if they could collect your parcel for
you from the seller

Still not sure that would work - most sellers don't want hordes of
individual couriers turning up to collect individual customers' orders.
They'll have one courier company they work with, who turns up the same
time each day, probably the same guy, and they load in their stack of
parcels and that's that.

You have a point. A high volume seller would cause traffic jams. ;-)