Posted to uk.d-i-y
mark mark is offline

Default The future of DIY

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
On 14 Jan, 20:30, John Rumm wrote:

My experience with buying timber from anywhere is that I often want to
be able to inspect pieces individually - you can buy constructional
stuff unseen, but architraves, skirting etc are another matter. If you
don't want the twisted, split stuff with knots falling out chucked on
the lorry, you need to select it yourself really - that goes for a
builder's merchant as much as for B&Q, although with B&Q timber
mouldings you can at least guarantee consistency (that is, you know it
will be crap). So timber for internal carpentry wouldn't really work
for me, online.

Cheers
Richard

I wouldn't buy skirting from B&Q, price and quality aside, it isn't long
enough to have a single length in an average room. I don't want joins in
skirting. At timber merchants you can get it 5.1 metres long and sometimes
longer. The pre-primed mdf skirting is 5.49m (18ft). It is cheaper per/m
than B&Q and with the longer lengths it can be used more efficiently with
regards to unusable off cuts and thus a further cost advantage.

mark