Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The future of DIY

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:38:39 +0000 (UTC), Tim Watts
wrote:

I don't like Wickes' attempt to be clever by ownbranding everything. Some
stuff is obvious as to who it is made by (most waste pipes because it's
stamped all over them) and Speedfit is obviously JG, but I *do* like to
know what I am buying.

I fail to see the benefit of them doing it.

If it enables me to buy a high quality branded item at a lower price,
I'm all for it.

I have no personal knowledge of how this works in DIY. But in the
food industry, many supermarket own brand items are top quality
products that are sold at well below the price of the exact same
product bearing the brand of its manufacturer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:38:39 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:
I don't like Wickes' attempt to be clever by ownbranding everything. Some
stuff is obvious as to who it is made by (most waste pipes because it's
stamped all over them) and Speedfit is obviously JG, but I *do* like to
know what I am buying.

I absolutely hate crap like that. If something fails on me a few years
down the line, it makes it even harder to source spare parts for it...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

B&Q used to - I still have some of the bags of loose nails in
the garage. That, and drums of cable you cut the length you require,
drums of hose you cut the length you require, etc enabled them to
keep a much larger range than they do today, which is why they no
longer meet my requirements. For example, they used to keep a drum
of 6 core mains flex to cut off what you want. It probably wasn't a
fast moving item, but they only needed a couple of drums in the store.
There won't be enough sales of it to justify shelf space for pre-cut
bundles, so it's gone.

Yet they now have a section of various ropes and chains which you
can cut yourself, and some of these don't really look as though
they would be fast movers.

So you might say they supply just enough rope to hang you with...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

I have no personal knowledge of how this works in DIY. But in the
food industry, many supermarket own brand items are top quality
products that are sold at well below the price of the exact same
product bearing the brand of its manufacturer.

And many are not. Which is why, for example, Kelloggs make a point of
stating "We don't make cereal for anyone else".

And I curse the cheap screws I've bought in the past that look the same,
but break off deep in the hole just as you are torquing them down...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:31:00 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:
And I curse the cheap screws I've bought in the past that look the same,
but break off deep in the hole just as you are torquing them down...

Yes, I've found crappy ones sold "as the same thing" which have much thinner
shafts than the "good" ones - i.e. they've used less material to save on
costs. I wouldn't ever order screws unless I could see the physical item
first...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 17 Jan, 20:31, Andy Champ wrote:
I have no personal knowledge of how this works in DIY. But in the
food industry, many supermarket own brand items are top quality
products that are sold at well below the price of the exact same
product bearing the brand of its manufacturer.

And many are not. Which is why, for example, Kelloggs make a point of
stating "We don't make cereal for anyone else".

However that does not necessarily mean that Portable Foods
Manufacturing Co Ltd does not supply both Kelloggs and ANOther. Even
if Portable Foods etc is wholly owned by Kelloggs.

Owain

indeed. I simply cannot tell the difference between kellogs and Waitrose
'own brand' apart from the color of the box, and the price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:44:20 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Owain wrote:
On 17 Jan, 20:31, Andy Champ wrote:
I have no personal knowledge of how this works in DIY. But in the
food industry, many supermarket own brand items are top quality
products that are sold at well below the price of the exact same
product bearing the brand of its manufacturer.
And many are not. Which is why, for example, Kelloggs make a point of
stating "We don't make cereal for anyone else".

However that does not necessarily mean that Portable Foods
Manufacturing Co Ltd does not supply both Kelloggs and ANOther. Even
if Portable Foods etc is wholly owned by Kelloggs.

Owain

indeed. I simply cannot tell the difference between kellogs and Waitrose
'own brand' apart from the color of the box, and the price.

Poor you!

In my University days I had a friend who was studying medicine. He
was involved in a research project that involved establishing the
nutritional content of breakfast cereals, including corn flakes.

In his own time he carried out the same tests on the packaging, and
found that it had a greater nutritional value than the contents. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 17/01/2010 21:20, Owain wrote:
On 17 Jan, 20:31, Andy Champ wrote:
I have no personal knowledge of how this works in DIY. But in the
food industry, many supermarket own brand items are top quality
products that are sold at well below the price of the exact same
product bearing the brand of its manufacturer.

And many are not. Which is why, for example, Kelloggs make a point of
stating "We don't make cereal for anyone else".

However that does not necessarily mean that Portable Foods
Manufacturing Co Ltd does not supply both Kelloggs and ANOther. Even
if Portable Foods etc is wholly owned by Kelloggs.

Owain

I seem to remember that the quality own brand corn flakes are largely
made by one company (from memory, Robertsons). And wasn't there
something about them becoming a larger manufacturer of cornflakes that
Kelloggs some time ago?

Anyone see Jimmy doing his DIY cornflakes the other week?

http://www.jimmysfoodfactory.com/2009/10/08/jimmys-food-factory-%E2%80%93-breakfast-episode-1/

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Owain wrote:
[...]

that all right. I only eat em twice a year anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bruce
writes
wrote:

Owain wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that Snopes has something to say on that one

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Owain wrote:
[...]

Save money. Eat the box. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Bruce
writes
wrote:

Owain wrote:
[...]

Sounds like an urban myth to me as well

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Owain wrote:
[...]

old story, been doing the rounds since *I* was at university
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified
with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly
translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this product!

But what is nutritional value? I remember promises we'd all be eating tiny
pills in the future, packed with all the vitamins we'd need. Which
conveniently forgot all the carbohydrate, protein and fat we need to eat,
which is the bulk of food. Cornflakes do fairly well on the former don't
they?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 18/01/2010 00:07, John Rumm wrote:

Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified
with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly
translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this product!

Although corn (maize) has its own peculiarity regarding availability
(rather than content):

"The traditional food preparation method of corn (maize),
nixtamalization, by native New World cultivators who had domesticated
corn required treatment of the grain with lime, an alkali. It has now
been shown that the lime treatment makes niacin nutritionally available
and reduces the chance of developing pellagra. When corn cultivation was
adopted worldwide, this preparation method was not accepted because the
benefit was not understood. The original cultivators, often heavily
dependent on corn, did not suffer from pellagra. Pellagra became common
only when corn became a staple that was eaten without the traditional
treatment."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pellagra

So not just for walls...

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:04:36 -0600, Jules wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:31:00 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:
And I curse the cheap screws I've bought in the past that look the same,
but break off deep in the hole just as you are torquing them down...

Yes, I've found crappy ones sold "as the same thing" which have much thinner
shafts than the "good" ones - i.e. they've used less material to save on
costs. I wouldn't ever order screws unless I could see the physical item
first...

Had that with Turbo Ultra St. St. 90mm, even in a (tight) pilot hole!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 00:07:47 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , Bruce
writes
wrote:

Owain wrote:
[...]

All the nutritional value and flavour is concentrated in the bright
orange-coloured coating that is sprayed on the corn flakes. It
contains sugar, salt, malt and assorted B vitamins.

Without that coating they would be a brownish grey, looking and
tasting like cardboard. and not as nutritious.

Apparently there's more fibre in cardboard. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news
Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified
with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly
translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this product!

But what is nutritional value? I remember promises we'd all be eating tiny
pills in the future, packed with all the vitamins we'd need. Which
conveniently forgot all the carbohydrate, protein and fat we need to eat,
which is the bulk of food. Cornflakes do fairly well on the former don't
they?

The original cornflakes supplied..
no vitamins
no fibre
no taste
lots of salt
lots of sugar

It was said you would be better off eating the box and its probably true.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified
with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly
translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this product!

I remember reading somewhere that although the human body does need e.g.
iron, research hasn't shown that the body can process it in the form in
which is a added to foods as "fortification". I forget the source, but as
John implies, one is probably better off eating decent stuff that doesn't
need the fortification in the first place!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile walk, the
box or the cornflakes?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:

Although as a general point, the moment you read something is "fortified
with vitamins and iron" or something similar, you know it roughly
translates as naff all natural nutritional value is left in this product!

I remember reading somewhere that although the human body does need e.g.
iron, research hasn't shown that the body can process it in the form in
which is a added to foods as "fortification". I forget the source, but as
John implies, one is probably better off eating decent stuff that doesn't
need the fortification in the first place!

which is why a varied diet is probably more than a balanced one. We have
noted that at different times we like different foods.

late autumn we simply stuff ourselves with fats carbohydrates and sugars
in the form of stews with root vegetables and dumplings..in summer,
carbohydrate drops away, and its all salads and fruit..

I dont eat a lot of veg every day, or fruit, but if I don't get SOME I
feel 'wrong'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim

But they could get rid of that awful looking recycled plastic wool (looks
like *afire hazard, even if it is doused in chemicals) and start selling
sheeps wool insulation (why doesn't anyone?).

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must
be possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the
insane prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project
if it were more affordable.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jan, 20:30, John Rumm wrote:

The same sort of online ordering for basic building materials, for
delivery by a certain time, at a place of my choice would be great. An
online builders merchant if you like

The problem I have with ordering stuff from Screwfix, Toolstation etc.
online is the need to be at home to take delivery and sign for things.
Awkward when I work 25 miles from home and can't stay in for an
approximate or inaccurate delivery date.

A place to buy a decent selection of timber, where the softwood in not
all banana shaped, and the selection of hardwood runs to more than a
token offering of one or two planks of some unknown species of
"hardwood". I would love to plan a furniture construction project and be
able to click though a wood equivalent of screwfix - ordering up some
unfinshed oak boards, or some furniture board, or some planks of cherry
etc. Being able to order boards and sheet materials, and at the same
time being able to specify a cutting list, knowing that should I need to
save time I can have stuff delivered, or ready for collection, pre-cut etc.

My experience with buying timber from anywhere is that I often want to
be able to inspect pieces individually - you can buy constructional
stuff unseen, but architraves, skirting etc are another matter. If you
don't want the twisted, split stuff with knots falling out chucked on
the lorry, you need to select it yourself really - that goes for a
builder's merchant as much as for B&Q, although with B&Q timber
mouldings you can at least guarantee consistency (that is, you know it
will be crap). So timber for internal carpentry wouldn't really work
for me, online.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Jan, 23:39, Jason wrote:

B&Q North Shields had a whole aisle of sheeps-wool insulation before Christmas.
Must have just got a job lot in; never seen it before or since.

Possibly it was for the nativity play market.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jan, 15:43, wrote:
On 18 Jan, *
* * *geraldthehamster wrote:

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must
be possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the
insane prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project
if it were more affordable.

I'm sure I saw sheep's wool in my local brach last week at a similar price to
the 'other' stuff.

At equally insane prices, you mean? ;-)

The most extreme B&Q price comparison I've experienced was recently
when laying a floor. I kicked off with one of their tiny packets of
flooring brads, because I was there, then went to a commercial
hardware store on a local industrial estate for the rest. B&Q were
almost exactly TEN times more expensive. Admittedly theit brads were
60mm rather than 50mm from the other place.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:42:23 -0800 (PST), geraldthehamster
wrote:

On 14 Jan, 23:39, Jason wrote:

B&Q North Shields had a whole aisle of sheeps-wool insulation before Christmas.
Must have just got a job lot in; never seen it before or since.

Possibly it was for the nativity play market.

In North Shields they'd have trouble finding three wise men though.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:43:07 GMT, wrote:

I'm sure I saw sheep's wool in my local brach last week at a similar
price to the 'other' stuff.

If not:

http://www.secondnatureuk.com/

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:28:40 -0800, geraldthehamster
wibbled:

Tim

But they could get rid of that awful looking recycled plastic wool
(looks like Â*afire hazard, even if it is doused in chemicals) and start
selling sheeps wool insulation (why doesn't anyone?).

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must be
possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the insane
prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project if it were
more affordable.

Cheers
Richard

Well, it's not really comparable to celotex - sheeps wool has rought the
same U value as glass wool (unsurprisingly as both rely on air trapped
between fibres to work). PIR (celotex) is about twice as good as wool.

But, sheeps wool seems to retail for a similar price to glass wool,
perhaps slightly more expensive. But it never (obviously AFAICS) gets
sold as the knock down prices that glass wool can be had almost
periodically from B&Q et al.

If I were using wool (I did consider it) I'd use sheeps just because it
is pleasant to use rather than crap.

I *thought* you didn't need to ventilate the under sarking space if using
wool, but my BCO said I did - 2" air gap. That made me switch to PIR.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 16:06:09 +0000, Frank Erskine
wibbled:

wrote:

On 14 Jan, 23:39, Jason wrote:

B&Q North Shields had a whole aisle of sheeps-wool insulation before
Christmas. Must have just got a job lot in; never seen it before or
since.

Possibly it was for the nativity play market.

In North Shields they'd have trouble finding three wise men though.

Or a virgin

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 14 Jan, 23:39, Jason wrote:

B&Q North Shields had a whole aisle of sheeps-wool insulation before Christmas.
Must have just got a job lot in; never seen it before or since.

Possibly it was for the nativity play market.

In North Shields they'd have trouble finding three wise men though.

And absolutely no chance of a virgin, either.

Blessed or otherwise. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Piers Finlayson wrote:

[...]

Just have a few beers. Hops, malt, barley - three of your five a day
sorted.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:

The problem I have with ordering stuff from Screwfix, Toolstation etc.
online is the need to be at home to take delivery and sign for things.
Awkward when I work 25 miles from home and can't stay in for an
approximate or inaccurate delivery date.

They should maybe do what the clothing mail order companies do and have
local couriers who drop things round in the evening or at weekends.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
On 18 Jan, 15:43, wrote:
On 18 Jan,
geraldthehamster wrote:

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must
be possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the
insane prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project
if it were more affordable.

I'm sure I saw sheep's wool in my local brach last week at a similar price
the 'other' stuff.

At equally insane prices, you mean? ;-)

Yes it's a bit crazy when a fleece has a resale value to the farmer of 50p
or under, and £1 or more to shear a sheep.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:42:21 +0000, "Mark" wibbled:

Yes it's a bit crazy when a fleece has a resale value to the farmer of
50p or under, and £1 or more to shear a sheep.

That's because they have to sell it to the Wool Marketing Board (except
maybe small farmers?)

You need to cover the cost of shipping the fleece to China to have it
cleaned you know...

I like this:

http://www.britishwool.org.uk/

"The British Wool Marketing Board operates a central marketing system for
UK fleece wool with the aim of achieving the best possible net returns
for farmers."

Think that's one bunch of dinosaurs we would be better off without...

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...eting-boss-on-
pound140k-in-baa-rmy-pay-scandal.html

Yes I know... But it might be true!

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 17:58:29 +0000, Tim Watts wibbled:

That's because they have to sell it to the Wool Marketing Board (except
maybe small farmers?)

snip

http://www.britishwool.org.uk/

Though this is interesting...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/irish-...hts-on-bigger-
share-of-the-scottish-clip-1.874575

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 14 Jan, 20:30, John Rumm wrote:

The same sort of online ordering for basic building materials, for
delivery by a certain time, at a place of my choice would be great.
An online builders merchant if you like

The problem I have with ordering stuff from Screwfix, Toolstation etc.
online is the need to be at home to take delivery and sign for things.
Awkward when I work 25 miles from home and can't stay in for an
approximate or inaccurate delivery date.

This is an issue internet retailers need to address. I was working outside
a house before Xmas & watched a postie trying to delivery small parcels
which obviously needed a signature. He didn't seem to be having much luck.
We had a chat & he reckoned he failed to deliver 6 - 8 parcles out of 10.

Must be similar with the parcels delivery firms. DHL have sussed it,
anything not delivered by the van is taken to a local lady who is paid to
deliver it that evening. Trouble is not everyone uses DHL.

I've solved the problem for myself only because I work regularly for a local
hotel & can have stuff delivered there for me to pick up. Toolstation &
Screwfix will both deliver there because I'm a regular customer, but many
internet retailers are wary of delivering to any address not the
cardholders.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2010 17:08, Dave Osborne wrote:

Fundamentally, this is because, along with Maplin (which is now IMHO
truly ****e), their search results give results containing *any* of your
keywords, not *all* of them as Google notionally does.

Even worse with Maplin is that it seems they use the search terms people
use on their site to poison and spam google results.

If ye go to their site and search for 'newel post cap', I'll bet then in
a couple of days searching google for the same will bring up a link for
Maplin, even though they don't actually stock anything that is
practically sensible for that search.

If that hypothesis is correct (and here ATM it seems so), then this
could be turned into a game.

"The most ridiculous entry that can be entered in google leading to a
Maplin link of 'compatible' products."

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile walk,
the box or the cornflakes?

You wouldn't need either for a mere 10 miles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile walk,
the box or the cornflakes?

You wouldn't need either for a mere 10 miles.

I'm beginning to side with geoff here...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...

Way to miss my point. Which would get you the energy for a 10 mile walk,
the box or the cornflakes?

You wouldn't need either for a mere 10 miles.

I'm beginning to side with geoff here...

Poor you.

You must have missed the point where I said goodness rather than calories.
I think there are probably more usable calories in the cornflakes but that
doesn't mean its good for you.