Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default The future of DIY

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:28:40 -0800, geraldthehamster
wibbled:

Tim

But they could get rid of that awful looking recycled plastic wool
(looks like Â*afire hazard, even if it is doused in chemicals) and start
selling sheeps wool insulation (why doesn't anyone?).

Goodness yes. I don't know how much the sheepy stuff is, but it must be
possible to sell it, with economies of scale, for less than the insane
prices B&Q charges for Celotex. I'd be using it in my project if it were
more affordable.

Cheers
Richard

Well, it's not really comparable to celotex - sheeps wool has rought the
same U value as glass wool (unsurprisingly as both rely on air trapped
between fibres to work). PIR (celotex) is about twice as good as wool.

But, sheeps wool seems to retail for a similar price to glass wool,
perhaps slightly more expensive. But it never (obviously AFAICS) gets
sold as the knock down prices that glass wool can be had almost
periodically from B&Q et al.

If I were using wool (I did consider it) I'd use sheeps just because it
is pleasant to use rather than crap.

I *thought* you didn't need to ventilate the under sarking space if using
wool, but my BCO said I did - 2" air gap. That made me switch to PIR.

--
Tim Watts