Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default How much are you spending on heating per day during this cold spell?

Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

The oil-filled one is heating the room nicely, although more slowly
than with the fan heater. But I reckon the heated oil will maintain
the desired room temperature for longer between times when the
thermostat switches off. It's been on now (on thermostat) for approx
40 minutes and my Tschibo usage meter says it's used 4½ pence worth so
far (11.5 pence per unit here). Room is approx 2.8m x 2.4m.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:19:33 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

On 6 Jan, 17:15, MM wrote:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

My lounge is fairly adequately kept warm when the computer's on, if
the heating was on earlier. I have the GCH running for 40 mins about
3x per day. Fan heater in the bedroom for about 10 mins before turning
in.

Owain

Yes, I, too, find the heat from the two computers makes a significant
difference over the course of the day (sometimes only one is on).
However, we are now experiencing VERY low temperatures (2 miles from
the Wash). I have also succumbed to a quick boost from a fan heater in
the bedroom before turning out the light. I am also religiously
closing all doors. It's been roughly 3¾ hours since I switched on the
new radiator and the Tschibo is reading 18.1 pence. The room is quite
comfortably warm now since I've been downstairs watching the news and
cooking supper etc.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 6 Jan, 17:15, MM wrote:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

My lounge is fairly adequately kept warm when the computer's on, if
the heating was on earlier. I have the GCH running for 40 mins about
3x per day. Fan heater in the bedroom for about 10 mins before turning
in.

Owain

Your comp keeps your lounge warm???
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 6 Jan, 17:15, MM wrote:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

My lounge is fairly adequately kept warm when the computer's on, if
the heating was on earlier. I have the GCH running for 40 mins about
3x per day. Fan heater in the bedroom for about 10 mins before turning
in.

Owain

Your comp keeps your lounge warm???

He downloads some hot stuff.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

At home today, but I didn't want to keep continually stoking the fire
with timber so burned coal instead (Coal has to be bought, timber is
free). Cost £2-£3 for the day.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usenet Nutter
wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 20:20

wrote:

On 6 Jan, 17:15, MM wrote:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

My lounge is fairly adequately kept warm when the computer's on, if
the heating was on earlier. I have the GCH running for 40 mins about
3x per day. Fan heater in the bedroom for about 10 mins before turning
in.

Owain

Your comp keeps your lounge warm???

He might have one of these - that would keep anything warm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Colossus.jpg

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice
wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 20:48

Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

I'm at around 300 quid per month on electricity and perhaps another 100-150
on coal. So around 13-15 quid per day in the coldest week, more like 10 quid
when it's just medium cold.

I expect to halve that next year when everything's properly insulated.

Mind you, just running draught seals around the doors has made a massive
difference - and with the snow blanket on the roof (bugger all insulation
right now) I was down to 1.5kW fan heater in the hall and the coal fire (say
3kW average) for most of today.

Despite the knackeredness of everything and the cold, we are actually very
comfortable.

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 17:15:36 +0000, MM wrote:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

The oil-filled one is heating the room nicely, although more slowly
than with the fan heater. But I reckon the heated oil will maintain
the desired room temperature for longer between times when the
thermostat switches off. It's been on now (on thermostat) for approx
40 minutes and my Tschibo usage meter says it's used 4½ pence worth so
far (11.5 pence per unit here). Room is approx 2.8m x 2.4m.

MM

A few years ago (as you'll see from the prices) I analysed a year's
worth of gas bills. What it came down to was from a total cost of
£475 for the year and having the heating on for 6 months: Oct - Mar
the cost of heating during those months was about the same as the
cost of hot water + cooking for the whole year.
So, CH for 6 months came out at about £240 and 12 months HW and
cooking was another £240-ish, for the sake of round numbers.
This is for a 3 bed semi, with occupants at work 8-6, 5 days a week.

(smarm: It also turns out that our energy use has dropped from 20,600kWH
a year in 1981-2 to 13,500kWH in 2007-8 - there! I've saved us all from
climate change :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:

[...]

In tghe old days (one youngster and another on the way) we used 26000
kWh of gas and 5500 kWh of electricity. The lounge staggered up to 20
deg C on cold nights.

Thirty years later, it's down to 14000 kWh gas and 3000 kWh
electricity, with the same house, back boiler and rads. The lounge is
currently at 23.5 deg C and it's -4.5 outside.

The difference, apart from the kids leaving home, is a now
fully-insulated, double-glazed house and care taken to deal with
draughts.

If you want to save the planet, don't have kids - which raises the
question of why you'd want to save it as there wouldn't be any people
to inherit it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

I just had a quote of 49.5per/l.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:48:05 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

£70 a week is A LOT.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 19:52:52 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

I just had a quote of 49.5per/l.

Boilerjuice were quoting 42.3 yesterday for PE12 (1000 litres)

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 6 Jan, 17:15, MM wrote:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

My lounge is fairly adequately kept warm when the computer's on, if
the heating was on earlier. I have the GCH running for 40 mins about
3x per day. Fan heater in the bedroom for about 10 mins before turning
in.

Owain

Your comp keeps your lounge warm???

In my case (I'm retired, so at home most of the day) I continue to
write software and write other stuff to keep my brain active and I do
that in what would be classed the "third bedroom", i.e. the baby's
room, i.e. the smallest bedroom. The two desktops in there are usually
adequate to keep the temperature around 21 deg C, but in this
particularly cold spell it does need a boost to get the temperature up
first thing in the morning.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 06:40:50 +0000, MM wrote:

Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

£70 a week is A LOT.

Large old solid stone building, dry lined but not insulated, not
fully properly double glazed(*). Outside temp hasn't been much above
freezing for 25 days. The 26th did get to 2C for a lot of that 24hrs.

(*) 5 mm gap sealed units in ordinary timber frames, so not quite as
bad as single glazed but still a little drafty.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:59:14 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

pete wrote:

[...]

I have heard it argued (well, pub "discussion" - might have been the beer talking)
that all the "save the planet" movement is really about is subsidising the
lifestyles of the family-types, at the expense of those who don't, can't
or won't participate.
Agree about the insulation, though it turns out that the DG is a loss maker.
The cost of heat-loss through SG windows[1] doesn't even pay the interest
on the cost of having it installed. DG cost: £5200, interest @ 5% = £260 p.a.

[1] Heating fuel savings (est. 20% of _heating_) = ~ £50 p.a.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
MM writes:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

The oil-filled one is heating the room nicely, although more slowly
than with the fan heater. But I reckon the heated oil will maintain
the desired room temperature for longer between times when the
thermostat switches off. It's been on now (on thermostat) for approx
40 minutes and my Tschibo usage meter says it's used 4½ pence worth so
far (11.5 pence per unit here). Room is approx 2.8m x 2.4m.

I'm working at home at the moment, and my office is the living room table.
Central heating is on until 9am. From 9am through to about 7pm, I am just
using the air conditioner in the living room for heating. It used 1.5 units
yesterday (about 20p?). So far today, it's used 0.26 units. (-5C outside).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 20:48, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave, have you a gadget to measure oil usage? We could do with one to
save the guess work!

Cheers,

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The server in my living room runs continuously, and keeps it a
toasty 17degrees with the heating off, doors and curtains closed.
My OWL tells me the house uses 140W on standby - ie, server, cable
box, central heating controller.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:

Agree about the insulation, though it turns out that the DG is a loss maker.
The cost of heat-loss through SG windows[1] doesn't even pay the interest
on the cost of having it installed. DG cost: £5200, interest @ 5% = £260 p.a.

MOST savings on DG come from replacing leaky, rotten and draughty
windows with ones that seal properly.

Not from the actual DG itself!

[1] Heating fuel savings (est. 20% of _heating_) = ~ £50 p.a.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

pete wrote:

Agree about the insulation, though it turns out that the DG is a loss maker.
The cost of heat-loss through SG windows[1] doesn't even pay the interest
on the cost of having it installed. DG cost: £5200, interest @ 5% = £260 p.a.

MOST savings on DG come from replacing leaky, rotten and draughty
windows with ones that seal properly.

Not from the actual DG itself!

Oh, I'd agree with that. The reason the original SG units were
replaced is because the house-builder forgot to seal the bottom
frames, and they all rotted.

Installing the DG evened out the temperature gradient across the
lounge, which coupled with the reduction in draughts really raised the
comfort level.

[1] Heating fuel savings (est. 20% of _heating_) = ~ £50 p.a.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:

Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

The oil-filled one is heating the room nicely, although more slowly
than with the fan heater. But I reckon the heated oil will maintain
the desired room temperature for longer between times when the
thermostat switches off. It's been on now (on thermostat) for approx
40 minutes and my Tschibo usage meter says it's used 4½ pence worth so
far (11.5 pence per unit here). Room is approx 2.8m x 2.4m.

MM

Just read the gas meter again after taking the reading on Jan 1st.

In six days we've used 102 cu m of gas, for a cost of just under £42,
so that would be £6 per day atm. Lounge at 21.5 deg C during the day,
23 deg C in the evening.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 03:18:20 -0800 (PST), timjh0 wrote:

Dave, have you a gadget to measure oil usage? We could do with one to
save the guess work!

Just the sight tube marked off in cm. A 2000l fill raises the level
about 80cm. We are using 8cm of oil/week ATM. In the summmer it's
1cm/week. Not 100% accurate but good enough.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:

Agree about the insulation, though it turns out that the DG is a loss maker.
The cost of heat-loss through SG windows[1] doesn't even pay the interest
on the cost of having it installed. DG cost: £5200, interest @ 5% = £260 p.a.

MOST savings on DG come from replacing leaky, rotten and draughty
windows with ones that seal properly.

Not from the actual DG itself!

Oh, I'd agree with that. The reason the original SG units were
replaced is because the house-builder forgot to seal the bottom
frames, and they all rotted.

Installing the DG evened out the temperature gradient across the
lounge, which coupled with the reduction in draughts really raised the
comfort level.

So do you reckon after tomorrow when my old draughty wooden tilt 'n
turn windows are replaced by DG units ,coupled with my having put foam
insulation behind the wooden panelling below the windows and when I
connect up the two new K2 rads ( presently using one old double panel
single finned rad supplemented by a Calor Gas heater ) that I'll see a
difference in my Victorian high ceiling living room?

I think I'll need to leave the fitters a kettle and tea and coffee and
biscuits ..don't envy them fitting windows in this weather .I'll go
and sit in the bathroom where it'll be warmer .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

I just had a quote of 49.5per/l.

Boilerjuice were quoting 42.3 yesterday for PE12 (1000 litres)

I'm on the northwest coast of Scotland - high transport costs, and
little competition.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:20:18 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

In six days we've used 102 cu m of gas, for a cost of just under £42,
so that would be £6 per day atm. Lounge at 21.5 deg C during the day,
23 deg C in the evening.

I'd stifle in those sort of temps. 18.5 during the day and 20 in the
evenings here. What saving to they reckon for each degree reduction
in room temp?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:20:18 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

In six days we've used 102 cu m of gas, for a cost of just under £42,
so that would be £6 per day atm. Lounge at 21.5 deg C during the day,
23 deg C in the evening.

I'd stifle in those sort of temps. 18.5 during the day and 20 in the
evenings here. What saving to they reckon for each degree reduction
in room temp?

I've no idea, but one thing I've noticed is those who don't have much
red meat in their diet (like us) need more heating to keep warm (or
feel the cold much more). A 'Mediterranean diet' might be all very
well, but it doesn't provide much of an 'inner glow'!

When the kids were younger, we've sat fully dressed on a beach in
South Devon in summer and felt very cold, while those around us were
in beachwear.

When I get up in a morning to put the heating on, the lounge is never
lower than 17.5 deg and it feels really cold. I work from home, and I
couldn't do that in such a temperature.

PS: I'll put my hands up....six days for a total of £42 is £7 a day,
not £6....

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

pete wrote:

[...]

I have often wondered whether placing straw bales right around the
outside of the house, up to the eaves, would retain enough heat to be
able to switch off the heating even in this cold snap. Maybe two
bales' thickness.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:20:33 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 03:18:20 -0800 (PST), timjh0 wrote:

Dave, have you a gadget to measure oil usage? We could do with one to
save the guess work!

Just the sight tube marked off in cm. A 2000l fill raises the level
about 80cm. We are using 8cm of oil/week ATM. In the summmer it's
1cm/week. Not 100% accurate but good enough.

Tell you what I'd like: a flowmeter on the pipe somewhere. Maybe where
it runs up the wall and into the boiler (mine is in the garage).

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 03:18:20 -0800 (PST), timjh0 wrote:

Dave, have you a gadget to measure oil usage? We could do with one to
save the guess work!

Just the sight tube marked off in cm. A 2000l fill raises the level
about 80cm. We are using 8cm of oil/week ATM. In the summmer it's
1cm/week. Not 100% accurate but good enough.

that's not far off my calcs that *over* half the heating bill is in dec,
jan and feb.

Basically 2000 lire tankl in three months, and another to last the other 9..

About £250 a month..so £60/week Plus just got in 250 quid of logs..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

£70 a week is A LOT.

We bought 928l 17th December, to top up the tank, and have 1/5th of a
tank left. Tank holds 1200l, so that is 960l over 16 days, or 60l per
day, at 47.8p per litre, plus VAT. £30 per day. Cold up here, on Royal
Deeside!

To be honest, I think £25 per day is more accurate, because we cannot
use the oil at the bottom of the tank. Still a lot of oil, though.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Fields wrote:
I've no idea, but one thing I've noticed is those who don't have much
red meat in their diet (like us) need more heating to keep warm (or
feel the cold much more). A 'Mediterranean diet' might be all very
well, but it doesn't provide much of an 'inner glow'!

When I get up in a morning to put the heating on, the lounge is never
lower than 17.5 deg and it feels really cold. I work from home, and I
couldn't do that in such a temperature.

It's 15.5 deg in my living room at the moment, and I don't
notice it, but then I've got clothes on. Other than turkey at
the works christmas dinner last month I've not eaten meat in
yonks.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2010 14:14, Terry Fields wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:20:18 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

In six days we've used 102 cu m of gas, for a cost of just under £42,
so that would be £6 per day atm. Lounge at 21.5 deg C during the day,
23 deg C in the evening.

I'd stifle in those sort of temps. 18.5 during the day and 20 in the
evenings here. What saving to they reckon for each degree reduction
in room temp?

I've no idea, but one thing I've noticed is those who don't have much
red meat in their diet (like us) need more heating to keep warm (or
feel the cold much more). A 'Mediterranean diet' might be all very
well, but it doesn't provide much of an 'inner glow'!

When the kids were younger, we've sat fully dressed on a beach in
South Devon in summer and felt very cold, while those around us were
in beachwear.

Not enough fat in your diet then, I'd say, especially for the time of year.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted"

Bill of Rights 1689

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 07:04:11 -0800 (PST), jgharston
wrote:

Other than turkey at
the works christmas dinner last month I've not eaten meat in
yonks.

Why not? I'm always interested to hear reasons why folk are
vegetarians or just don't eat meat etc .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston
wibbled on Thursday 07 January 2010 15:04

It's 15.5 deg in my living room at the moment, and I don't
notice it, but then I've got clothes on.

I wake up to 14-15C at the moment and I must admit I don't mind getting up
to that (when we had CH, I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 19C). It's
definately a state of mind thing - and wearing a thermal vest to bed...

Then again, I feel the cold late at night when I'm wibbling on the
computer...

Other than turkey at
the works christmas dinner last month I've not eaten meat in
yonks.

JGH

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain
wibbled on Thursday 07 January 2010 18:07

Mmm, 16C is cool-but-not-cold and 17C is OK-but-not-warm. Anything
more than 18C and I start twitching with anxiety at the thought of
squandering resources[1]

Owain

[1] Mine, not the planet's.

Don't worry, the greenies favorite wind generators are currently saving the
planet with a staggering 72MW of output.

Current total demand is 58GW :-O

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:14:26 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

I'd stifle in those sort of temps. 18.5 during the day and 20 in

the
evenings here. What saving to they reckon for each degree

reduction
in room temp?

I've no idea, but one thing I've noticed is those who don't have much
red meat in their diet (like us) need more heating to keep warm (or
feel the cold much more).

Can't honestly remember the last time I had any red meat, stopped
eating it in 1993 after a 3 month backpacking trip around the world
spending 6 weeks in China, meat didn't really feature in the street
food. I did have some fish a year or so back when I was hungry and
could only find a chippy.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:02:13 +0000, Graeme wrote:

We bought 928l 17th December, to top up the tank, and have 1/5th of a
tank left. Tank holds 1200l, so that is 960l over 16 days, or 60l per
day, at 47.8p per litre, plus VAT. £30 per day. Cold up here, on Royal
Deeside!

Are you really sure? That seems like and awful lot of heat going
somewhere. Maybe you like it tropical though...

If my maths are right to burn that amount of oil in 16 days would
require a 25kW boiler to run flat out 24/7.

(16*24)*25 = 9600kW
Oil produces about 10kW/l so 9600/10 = 960l.

Sure you haven't got an oil leak?
Have you got the windows open?

Ah, looking at your figures 17th Dec to today is 21 days not 16.
960/21 = 45l/day. Still rather high though, the notional 24/7 boiler
drops to 19kW.

It's not been very warm here either, between 0 and -5C for the last
few weeks. I know the Highlands have been colder, -10 to -15C, but I
don't think it would increase oil consumption that much, would it?

--
Cheers
Dave.