Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much are you spending on heating per day during this cold spell?

"MM" wrote in message

My money's on eggs.

Until you get cholesterol poisoning :-) (though they were specifically
fried)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:24:44 -0000, Clive George wrote:

6 miles is walkable in a day, even through snow provided it's not
more than 18" deep on average. 20 miles is two if not three days
under similar conditions...

Skis?

Don't have any though I could hire from our neighbours. Not sure how
well skis cope with deep soft dry powder snow, they might be more of
hinderance than a help, snow shoes?

no, they work. hard going though up hill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 09:04:58 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:

40 miles from the nearest supermarket, 5 miles from the nearest bank
(which has no ATM), 100 miles from the nearest cluster of department
stores. The only local bus, is the PostBus, once a day - but not now, as
the (single track) road is blocked.

I some how knew you where going to say something like that. B-)

I'm _that_ predictable?

I wonder what would happen if the weather *really* closed in down
south. And the large supermarkets couldn't get the dozen or more
deliveries they get every day and thus run out of bread, milk, fresh
veg etc and all the other food shelves become bare?

We have enough food to go about a week without stepping outside,
might get a bit monotinous but we wouldn't starve. We also have back
up heating, cooking and lighting and a small generator. If things got
really bad I'd hunt the rabbits and pheasants, we are normally
vegetarian BTW... Sorry fluffy bunny but if it's between you and me
it'll be me that survives.

We always have a good supply of staples in the house, and could eat for
a week without much monotony, and another week boringly. Like you, we
have multiple backups for heating, cooking, and lighting. It's decades
since I skinned a rabbit, but by the third week, I'm sure I'd be ready
to try...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 09:04:58 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

MM wrote:
wrote:
MM wrote:
wrote:
MM wrote:
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

I just had a quote of 49.5per/l.
Boilerjuice were quoting 42.3 yesterday for PE12 (1000 litres)

Out of curiosity, I checked Boilerjuice's price for my area - they
quoted 58.78 pence per litre!
For me they're quoting, right now, 46.97

But you don't live in the back of beyond...
Huh! I'd say I do! 2 miles from the Wash as the crow flies. 6 miles
from the shops. No gritters whatsoever. What snow falls stays there.
Local pickup bus cancelled. I'd say this was pretty much beyond hope
here. Mind you, it's nice in the spring.

I can easily top that!
40 miles from the nearest supermarket, 5 miles from the nearest bank
(which has no ATM), 100 miles from the nearest cluster of department stores.
The only local bus, is the PostBus, once a day - but not now, as the
(single track) road is blocked.

I bet I'm closer to Hamburg, though...

When the local TV transmission goes down, we pick up Norwegian shows...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 14:24:44 -0000, Clive George wrote:

6 miles is walkable in a day, even through snow provided it's not
more than 18" deep on average. 20 miles is two if not three days
under similar conditions...

Skis?

Don't have any though I could hire from our neighbours. Not sure how
well skis cope with deep soft dry powder snow, they might be more of
hinderance than a help, snow shoes?

It's definitely harder work breaking fresh deep snow than following tracks,
but that can be an advantage downhill, and you can cover some significant
distances even if you're inept like me. Though if there's walls and things
in the way a lot of the advantage will be gone. (In Norway the snow seems to
be deep enough that you ski over some of the walls :-) ).

Snowshoes are probably technically easier, and better in tight spaces, but
will be slower.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 20:20:00 +0000, Usenet Nutter
wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:19:33 -0800 (PST), Owain
wrote:

On 6 Jan, 17:15, MM wrote:
Not including residual heat from cooking, vacuum cleaner, kiddies etc.
I've just bought an Argos mini oil-filled heater for £24.99 (800W)
because I don't like leaving my little computer room (to go and get
food etc) with the fan heater left switched on.

My lounge is fairly adequately kept warm when the computer's on, if
the heating was on earlier. I have the GCH running for 40 mins about
3x per day. Fan heater in the bedroom for about 10 mins before turning
in.

Owain

Your comp keeps your lounge warm???

In my case (I'm retired, so at home most of the day) I continue to
write software and write other stuff to keep my brain active and I do
that in what would be classed the "third bedroom", i.e. the baby's
room, i.e. the smallest bedroom. The two desktops in there are usually
adequate to keep the temperature around 21 deg C, but in this
particularly cold spell it does need a boost to get the temperature up
first thing in the morning.

Buy a third computer then

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

MM wrote:
wrote:
MM wrote:
wrote:
MM wrote:
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

And why is that relevant ?

do you walk across the water for your supplies , or what ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:02:13 +0000, Graeme wrote:

We bought 928l 17th December, to top up the tank, and have 1/5th of a
tank left. Tank holds 1200l, so that is 960l over 16 days, or 60l per
day, at 47.8p per litre, plus VAT. £30 per day. Cold up here, on Royal
Deeside!

Are you really sure? That seems like and awful lot of heat going
somewhere. Maybe you like it tropical though...

If my maths are right to burn that amount of oil in 16 days would
require a 25kW boiler to run flat out 24/7.

(16*24)*25 = 9600kW
Oil produces about 10kW/l so 9600/10 = 960l.

Sure you haven't got an oil leak?
Have you got the windows open?

Extra pipe in the bottom of the tank he's not noticed before?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2010 18:52 S Viemeister wrote:

We always have a good supply of staples in the house, and could eat for
a week without much monotony, and another week boringly.

No shortage of iron in your diet then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

If never skinned one till the dog caught one. Slit up its belly and just
PEELED it.

vague phrase from my mother when undressing us 'skin a bunny?'

It was after 50 years, an apt description.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 18:18:56 +0000, MM wrote:

I've often wondered which single food one would last the longest on,
given a desert island situation, but no fish. Suppose you could choose
just one food, which one would keep you alive the longest?

My money's on eggs.

Plenty of protein, not much carbohydrate. A whole grain cereal I
think would be better. Carbohydrate to give you energy (to keep warm
as well as active), some oil and protein, not enough but better than
nothing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:55:25 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It's definitely harder work breaking fresh deep snow than following
tracks, but that can be an advantage downhill, and you can cover some
significant distances even if you're inept like me.

That's what I thought, our snow doesn't take your weight at all in
wellies, I've been up to my waist in the stuff and still not being on
the ground (though it is difficult to tell). There is very little
resistance to lifting your legs and using your knees to force away
through but it's damn hard work. I think it's the semi resistance as
you transfer weight and having to have both legs tense as you do so
until the one getting the weight stops sinking.

I guess there are skis and skis, short narrow ones for zipping down
ice covered hills at suicidal speeds and broad long ones for getting
about on the top of deep soft snow.

Though if there's walls and things in the way a lot of the advantage
will be gone. (In Norway the snow seems to be deep enough that you ski
over some of the walls :-) ).

The walls round here *are* nearly gone.

Snowshoes are probably technically easier, and better in tight spaces,
but will be slower.

A probably more effort as you'll be lifting them a bit and any snow
on the top for each step.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 09/01/2010 18:52 S Viemeister wrote:

We always have a good supply of staples in the house, and could eat for
a week without much monotony, and another week boringly.

No shortage of iron in your diet then.

One of the 'staples' is a container of an iron supplement...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I seem to have a vague memory of cutting around the ankles, before peeling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 18:55:25 -0000, Clive George wrote:

It's definitely harder work breaking fresh deep snow than following
tracks, but that can be an advantage downhill, and you can cover some
significant distances even if you're inept like me.

That's what I thought, our snow doesn't take your weight at all in
wellies, I've been up to my waist in the stuff and still not being on
the ground (though it is difficult to tell). There is very little
resistance to lifting your legs and using your knees to force away
through but it's damn hard work. I think it's the semi resistance as
you transfer weight and having to have both legs tense as you do so
until the one getting the weight stops sinking.

I guess there are skis and skis, short narrow ones for zipping down
ice covered hills at suicidal speeds and broad long ones for getting
about on the top of deep soft snow.

No - langlauf skis are narrower than downhill skis

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message o.uk,
Dave Liquorice writes

Sure you haven't got an oil leak?

Extra pipe in the bottom of the tank he's not noticed before?

grin

This is our consumption :

(Dates, during 2009, and tank reading)

0101 6
0401 5
0701 4
1001 3
1301 2
1601 1
1901 F
2101 9
2401 8
2801 7
0102 6
0502 5
0802 4
1102 3
1402 2
1602 F
1802 9
2302 8
2802 7
0503 6
0903 5
1403 4
2003 3
2303 F
2503 9
2903 8
0504 7
1104 6
1804 5
2804 4
0505 F
1105 9
2205 8
0806 7
2606 6
0708 5
0509 4
1409 F
2409 9
0510 8
1710 7
2410 6
0311 5
0811 4
1211 F
1411 9
2011 8
2511 7
3011 6
0512 5
0912 4
1212 3
1712 F
1912 9
2312 8
2512 7
2712 6
3012 5

Given that each F (for full) represents a delivery, usually +/- 1000
litres, do the summer readings seem reasonable, for hot water and
occasional heating? I doubt there are any months when the heating is
never used.

How does this equipment read the contents of the (cylindrical) tank?
Does it just measure the depth, or does it take into account the
changing width of the tank?

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 18:18:56 +0000, MM wrote:

I've often wondered which single food one would last the longest on,
given a desert island situation, but no fish. Suppose you could choose
just one food, which one would keep you alive the longest?

My money's on eggs.

Plenty of protein, not much carbohydrate. A whole grain cereal I
think would be better. Carbohydrate to give you energy (to keep warm
as well as active), some oil and protein, not enough but better than
nothing.

Pasta probably.

Deficient in many vitamins, but the rest is there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 10 Jan, 10:06, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Pasta probably.
Deficient in many vitamins, but the rest is there.

Needs potable water and heat to prepare. Okay there is large quantity
of potable snow outside at the moment, but not everyone has an
alternative means of cooking. Unless you meant the tinned sort, which
could be eaten cold.

Burn a public sector worker.
Easy way to cook and heat your home.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 10:06:21 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 18:18:56 +0000, MM wrote:

I've often wondered which single food one would last the longest on,
given a desert island situation, but no fish. Suppose you could choose
just one food, which one would keep you alive the longest?

My money's on eggs.

Plenty of protein, not much carbohydrate. A whole grain cereal I
think would be better. Carbohydrate to give you energy (to keep warm
as well as active), some oil and protein, not enough but better than
nothing.

Pasta probably.

Deficient in many vitamins, but the rest is there.

Pasta?!!! What the heck has pasta got in it? Flour, i.e. wheat. Maybe
one egg per cwt in the "luxury" brands. Noooo, definitely NOT pasta,
long term. You'd last a LOT longer on either eggs or whole grain
cereal, in my view.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:22:33 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , MM
writes
wrote:

MM wrote:
wrote:
MM wrote:
wrote:
MM wrote:
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

At the rate this winter is going, it might come to that.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 6 Jan, 17:15, MM wrote:
[...]

No room. It's the *third* bedroom, therefore small. Two IKEA desks
(http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10111489), two Argos
bookcases, two self-built PCs, I can barely swing a cat. Nice and warm
with my new oil-filled mini rad, though. It used only 46 pence worth
of leccy yesterday from 08:30 am until 23:30.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jan 2010 18:18:56 +0000, MM wrote:

I've often wondered which single food one would last the longest on,
given a desert island situation, but no fish. Suppose you could choose
just one food, which one would keep you alive the longest?

My money's on eggs.
Plenty of protein, not much carbohydrate. A whole grain cereal I
think would be better. Carbohydrate to give you energy (to keep warm
as well as active), some oil and protein, not enough but better than
nothing.

Pasta probably.

Deficient in many vitamins, but the rest is there.

Pasta?!!! What the heck has pasta got in it? Flour, i.e. wheat. Maybe
one egg per cwt in the "luxury" brands. Noooo, definitely NOT pasta,
long term. You'd last a LOT longer on either eggs or whole grain
cereal, in my view.

plenty of protein in flour. And eggs as well.

I'd die rather than eat whole grain cereal.

Better feed it to the birds and eat them instead.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Looking at the cereals in the cupboard, Weetabix minis (chocolate crisp)
looks possible, though only about 1650 calories a box, 1 per day wouldn't
be too bad so long as you have something to wash it down with (I guess a
supply of water is a given, otherwise you'd die of dehydration weeks
before starvation got you).
Failing that I vote for pepperoni pizza.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

geoff wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

I guess there are skis and skis, short narrow ones for zipping down
ice covered hills at suicidal speeds and broad long ones for getting
about on the top of deep soft snow.

No - langlauf skis are narrower than downhill skis

But tend to be used on prepared paths. Old style 'telemark' skis and
binding are probably what you need, or the broad ski-mountaineering type
with skins for going uphill.

--
djc