Mary Fisher

Default Heating in cold workshop

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

£7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

Mary

The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

£7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

And massive electricity bills.

Mary

Ian Stirling

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

?7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

And massive electricity bills.

Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant.
It does not take a big room to heat at 2.5KW, which is the equivalent cost
if it was done with gas.

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

?7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

And massive electricity bills.

Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant.
It does not take a big room to heat at 2.5KW, which is the equivalent cost
if it was done with gas.

The point about this radiant heat is that it heats (instantly) what's in its
path, not the whole room. It's ideal for a workshop where a user is in place
most of the time.

In Spouse's case there's no room to be anywhere else!

I'd rather he were comfortable. No other form of heating has kept him
comfortable in there. It's worth whatever it costs for his well-being.

Mary

Ian Stirling

Mary Fisher wrote:

[...]

It may well be considerably cheaper.
You don't want to leave it on if you're going out.
You don't need to heat the whole room.
If you're willing to wear a coat, to keep the body warm, and have face
and hands radiantly warmed, it can be dramatically cheaper, even if
electricity is 3* the price of gas, you're using so much less energy.
Not to mention of course that a gas radiant heater would be even cheaper.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
Not to mention of course that a gas radiant heater would be even cheaper.

Dunno. Those infra red electric heaters throw the heat a long way.
And of course not many people have gas in their workshops.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
s--p--o--n--i--x

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:49:56 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

£7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

They had some of these in "InStore" (Formerly "Poundstretcher") for £7

sPoNiX
The Natural Philosopher

Mary Fisher wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

?7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

And massive electricity bills.

Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant.
It does not take a big room to heat at 2.5KW, which is the equivalent cost
if it was done with gas.

You are talking through your arse.

Heat is heat. and 700Wis 700W.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant.
It does not take a big room to heat at 2.5KW, which is the equivalent cost
if it was done with gas.

You are talking through your arse.

Heat is heat. and 700Wis 700W.

Nope. A 700 watt convector heater would likely go unnoticed in the average
workshop unless you're sitting on it. A 700 watt radiant type will be felt
to give out heat from some distance. Think the sun tends to work on this
principle in the winter in this country...

--
*If God had wanted me to touch my toes, he would have put them on my knees

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Pete C

wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

£7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

Sounds familiar....

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=gbrfp0p1h1ljm37uhgq a1ci7ajijpeg5i1%404ax.com&prev=/groups%3Fq%3D%2522pete%2Bc%2522%2Bworkshop%2Bheate r%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26c2coff%3D1%26selm%3Dgbrfp0p1 h1ljm37uhgqa1ci7ajijpeg5i1%25404ax.com%26rnum%3D1

Follow ups are worth a look.... =)

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&threadm=gbrfp0p1h1ljm37u hgqa1ci7ajijpeg5i1%404ax.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26c2coff%3D1%26selm%3Dgbr fp0p1h1ljm37uhgqa1ci7ajijpeg5i1%25404ax.com%26prev %3D/groups%253Fq%253D%252522pete%252Bc%252522%252Bwork shop%252Bheater%2526hl%253Den%2526lr%253D%2526c2co ff%253D1%2526selm%253Dgbrfp0p1h1ljm37uhgqa1ci7ajij peg5i1%2525404ax.com%2526rnum%253D1

cheers,
Pete.

Mary Fisher

Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant.
It does not take a big room to heat at 2.5KW, which is the equivalent
cost
if it was done with gas.

It may well be considerably cheaper.
You don't want to leave it on if you're going out.

Quite.

You don't need to heat the whole room.

Quite.

If you're willing to wear a coat, to keep the body warm, and have face
and hands radiantly warmed, it can be dramatically cheaper, even if
electricity is 3* the price of gas, you're using so much less energy.

Quite.

Not to mention of course that a gas radiant heater would be even cheaper.

But take up even more room if needing propane or butane (or being more
expensive if using the little cartridges*) or needing a mains gas supply
which there isn't in the workshop.

Mary
* he's just ordered one of those for the tent. At long last he's learning
sense ... but that would only be used for getting dressed, he's in the
workshop (aka garage) for about six hours a day.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

£7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

They had some of these in "InStore" (Formerly "Poundstretcher") for £7

Had isn't has.

sPoNiX

Mary Fisher

wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

Sounds familiar....

I did say that we'd talked about it before :-)

Mary

dmc

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

* he's just ordered one of those for the tent. At long last he's learning
sense ... but that would only be used for getting dressed, he's in the
workshop (aka garage) for about six hours a day.

And you keep him in the tent for the other 18hrs a day? Blimey.

:-)

Darren

Mary Fisher

"dmc" wrote in message ...
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:

* he's just ordered one of those for the tent. At long last he's learning
sense ... but that would only be used for getting dressed, he's in the
workshop (aka garage) for about six hours a day.

And you keep him in the tent for the other 18hrs a day? Blimey.

He keeps me actually, I thought everyone knew I was a kept woman :-)

As for the tent, we mostly only spend time in it in bed, it's always warm
there.

:-)

Msry

Darren

jacob

Cold workshop; been there done it for many years; good outdoor gear
the best as it is also comfortable; helly hansen underwear, ron hill
type leggings, fleecy shirt of some sort, fleece top, balaclava,
fingerless gloves, two pairs of socks one thick one thin, walking
boots or trainers, boiler suit, and body warmer jerkin on top.
Radiant heat best. Oil filled electric rad is quite radiant over a
wider area if you sit near it - it can warm your back, better if
painted black (radiator not your back).
Then dash back inside every half hour for a nice cup of tea.

cheers

Jacob
Mary Fisher

"jacob" wrote in message
om...
Cold workshop; been there done it for many years; good outdoor gear
the best as it is also comfortable; helly hansen underwear, ron hill
type leggings, fleecy shirt of some sort, fleece top, balaclava,
fingerless gloves, two pairs of socks one thick one thin, walking
boots or trainers, boiler suit, and body warmer jerkin on top.
Radiant heat best. Oil filled electric rad is quite radiant over a
wider area if you sit near it - it can warm your back, better if
painted black (radiator not your back).
Then dash back inside every half hour for a nice cup of tea.

Spouse has it better. I take his warm drinks out to him :-)

Which reminds me, it's time to put on the kettle for coffee and comfort
food - oh blast, I didn't make any more biscuits, it will have to be drop
scones ...

Mary

cheers

Jacob

Magician

Jacob wears;
helly hansen underwear, ron hill

type leggings, fleecy shirt of some sort, fleece top, balaclava,
fingerless gloves, two pairs of socks one thick one thin, walking
boots or trainers, boiler suit, and body warmer jerkin on top.

How do you actually manage to move?

Dave

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
Spouse has it better. I take his warm drinks out to him :-)
Which reminds me, it's time to put on the kettle for coffee and comfort
food - oh blast, I didn't make any more biscuits, it will have to be drop
scones ...

If you use twice as much liquid in the batter as normal and add sultanas
you will end up with Scottish style fruit crumpets.

Owain

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Spouse has it better. I take his warm drinks out to him :-)
Which reminds me, it's time to put on the kettle for coffee and comfort
food - oh blast, I didn't make any more biscuits, it will have to be drop
scones ...

If you use twice as much liquid in the batter as normal

I did ... I always do for my version, if you know what I mean.

and add sultanas you will end up with Scottish style fruit crumpets.

Too late. I added some lime juice, left over from making mayonnaise last
night. they were very good but I ate too many :-(

They're so esy, and from start to finish it was about 10 minutes - including
collecting the very small bantie egg from the coop.

Mary

Owain

Mike

Mary Fisher wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop' halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

?7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

And massive electricity bills.

Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant.

I've always found a good fan heater better than either

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike wrote:
I've always found a good fan heater better than either

A 700 watt fan heater - if you could find one - is likely to be pretty
useless in a workshop unless within a few inches of your face, etc. And
having hot air blown onto your face isn't nice, IMHO.

--
*If you ate pasta and anti-pasta, would you still be hungry?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
jacob

"Magician" wrote in message roups.com...
Jacob wears;
helly hansen underwear, ron hill

type leggings, fleecy shirt of some sort, fleece top, balaclava,
fingerless gloves, two pairs of socks one thick one thin, walking
boots or trainers, boiler suit, and body warmer jerkin on top.

How do you actually manage to move?

Dave

Move like a well oiled machine warmed up! The secret is lots of thin
layers rather than a few thick ones. Thin layers more bendy and also
more adjustable as spring slowly arrives.

cheers

Jacob
Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

This was discussed at length some time ago.

Spouse went to Maplins this morning and bought a 700w 'desktop'
halogen
heater, he says it's marvellous.

It's a large beast, two heat settings, adjustable angles.

?7.99 while stocks last. Spare bulbs available.

Prepare for next winter!

And massive electricity bills.

Radiant heat can be a lot more efficient than non-radiant.

I've always found a good fan heater better than either

He's been using one but still prefers the new radiant one. and it's not
noisy at all so he can still hear the radio.

Mray

Ian Stirling

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Mike wrote:
I've always found a good fan heater better than either

A 700 watt fan heater - if you could find one - is likely to be pretty
useless in a workshop unless within a few inches of your face, etc. And
having hot air blown onto your face isn't nice, IMHO.

I have experience of a 500W fan heater.
It's basically useless, as it only outputs air at maybe 30C, and windchill
means that it actually makes you feel colder.

If you reduce the airflow to get the temperature up, then it diffuses almost
instantly into a slightly warmer draught.

The most efficient way is electrically heated clothing, but this is a bit
hard to do.

No Spam

Ian Stirling wrote:

The most efficient way is electrically heated clothing, but this is a bit
hard to do.

A lot of wimpy motorcyclists use it - been around for ages.