Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default How much are you spending on heating per day during this cold spell?

Dave Liquorice
wibbled on Wednesday 06 January 2010 20:48

Well we are using about 25l of oil/day at 40p/l (when we bought at
the end of Oct, I think it's about 45p/l now) so that's £10/day.

I'm at around 300 quid per month on electricity and perhaps another 100-150
on coal. So around 13-15 quid per day in the coldest week, more like 10 quid
when it's just medium cold.

I expect to halve that next year when everything's properly insulated.

Mind you, just running draught seals around the doors has made a massive
difference - and with the snow blanket on the roof (bugger all insulation
right now) I was down to 1.5kW fan heater in the hall and the coal fire (say
3kW average) for most of today.

Despite the knackeredness of everything and the cold, we are actually very
comfortable.

--
Tim Watts

You know you need more insulation when the snow blanket on the roof makes
the house 3 degrees warmer...