Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden waste batch incinerator

I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is emptied
once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load the
beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is not
the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I cannot find
anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 10:47*am, Owain wrote:
On 19 Aug, 10:39, johno wrote:

Will your council give you extra recycling bins free if you ask? Even
better would be a dedicated brown bin if your council has a separate
collection of compostables.

Owain

Your brown bin is our green bin :-)) I have asked for extra but they
will not agree. Too far to take it to the recycling centre so that
option is out as well.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is emptied
once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load the
beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is not
the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I cannot find
anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.
John

If you have a large garden, hire a chipper and or a chainsaw, and reduce
the small sttuff to shreds and the large stuff to logs.

Pile the logs up and use as firewood, or sell as such..and simply leave
the small stuff in a pile, or dig a hole and bury it.

It will compost itself.

I managed to dispose of most of a demolished extension, apart from the
good bits that I traded as hard core to a farm, for a ton of stable
manure..by digging a large hole and burying it. The garden now has a
nice rolling aspect and surprsingly, things grow like mad on top of the
buried muck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 10:56*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
johno wrote:
[...]

As I mentioned in my original post I will be removing them on a
regular basis, I don't have the time or energy to do them all in one
go. The plan is to remove one or two a week, this would make hiring a
shredder/chipper very expensive.
I should have pointed out that I am talking about the disposal of the
foliage and smaller branches. The larger stuff will be put aside for a
later date when we will be reinstating the open fire in the living
room. The garden is large but there is no area I would want to bury
such a quantity of foliage, I have most of the garden producing food!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 10:39, johno wrote:
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis,

Saw to 18" or so, then quarter with a splitting wedge or a "log
grenade" (these are great for bulk Leylandii). Split one into 1"
sticks for kindling, or use the brash.

Burn them in a "guarded" incinerator. It doesn't need to be a sealed
box, but it should have some sort of cage to guard against exploding
logs. Leylandii is highly resinous and burns ferociously (search back
for the E-type Jag story). Load up one log at a time and expect
fireworks and sparks. If burning Leylandii in a sealed woodstove, the
gases it evolves are flammable. Watch for flare-ups if you open the
lid and suddenly allow air in there.

Personally I'd regard this stuff as useful fuel and horde it for
camping bonfires (sitting well back!). Most of my camping partners are
hippy foresters anyway. If you have to buy something to destroy it, a
thin steel dustbin with a chimney is adequate and cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Aug, 12:15, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 19 Aug, 10:39, johno wrote:

[...]

Yes - I wouldn't recommend it for any form household burning. It is
too resinous and consequently flares up/ explodes, plus is likely to
deposit tars on the flue.with the hazard of a blocked flue or chimney
fire.

If most of your garden is producing food, then there will be areas
which have been harvested and will surely be able to take a bonfire.
I grow a lot of vegetables too with an area totaling about 25m x 40m
under cultivation and always manage the ground in such a way that
there is space for a bonfire particularly from now onwards.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 10:47 am, Owain wrote:
On 19 Aug, 10:39, johno wrote:

Will your council give you extra recycling bins free if you ask? Even
better would be a dedicated brown bin if your council has a separate
collection of compostables.

Owain

Your brown bin is our green bin :-)) I have asked for extra but they
will not agree. Too far to take it to the recycling centre so that
option is out as well.

No neighbours?
I filled about 4 wheelie bins even after shredding it.
Don't underestimate the weight of a wheelie bin full of shreddings and
expect an oap neighbour to move it after you have filled it.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is emptied
once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load the
beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is not
the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I cannot find
anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.
John

What's wrong with something like:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_garden-incinerator.jpg

Not sure what the 'batch' aspect is to what you're seeking (unless it's
very much larger, which may be the disadvantage of the above)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 2:04*pm, Lobster wrote:
johno wrote:
[...]

As I was explained by a friend a batch incinerator is very similar to
a standard garden incinerator, but larger and burns much hotter due to
its design, you load it up via the top (pack it tight) replace and
secure the lid/chimney and light via a hole at the base. Stand back
and watch it go! apparently it burns very hot and produces very little
smoke.
Looks like a standard garden item will be the way to go and for the
larger stuff a habitat pile; sounds too iffy for burning indoors ;-)))
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

johno wrote:
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is emptied
once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load the
beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is not
the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I cannot find
anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.
John

What's wrong with something like:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_garden-incinerator.jpg

Works fine - ONCE! After that it quickly rusts away if left outside.

Alan
--
email ~= s/nospam//

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 2:22*pm, Owain wrote:
On 19 Aug, 10:52, John *wrote:

Do you have children who could be taught to weave the branches into
wreaths and sell them as christmas decorations?

Alternatively are they far enough from the house you could burn them
on the tree, then fell the trunks?

Owain

No children but I do have neighbours whose garden boundaries mine,
don't think they would like me too much if I burned them in
situ ;-))))))) (I am not on good terms with them as it is because I
keep chickens, but that is another story!!)

The batch incinerator I was described was, according to my friend who
I have just phoned, made from an old 45 gallon oil drum with a
removable lid/top
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
Lobster wrote:

johno wrote:
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is
emptied once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load
the beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is
not the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I
cannot find anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.
John

What's wrong with something like:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_garden-incinerator.jpg

Works fine - ONCE! After that it quickly rusts away if left outside.

Unless you spray it with WD40 :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

As I mentioned in my original post I will be removing them on a
regular basis, I don't have the time or energy to do them all in one
go. The plan is to remove one or two a week, this would make hiring a
shredder/chipper very expensive.

Buy one, they're cheap enough.

Oh, also consider re-planting leylandii but keeping them in check this
time. They make a really good hedge, better than yew IMO. The only
things wrong with leylandii are Daily Mail readers, Guardian readers,
radio 4 listeners and other assorted ****wits who consider "Leylandii"
to be pronounced "Antichrist". Keep the height down and trim once or
twice a year and you will have a tidy, thick barrier against burglars,
stray cats and dogs and your hedge will also filter out noise, dust and
pollution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:

I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem.

Leylandii make decent logs, although they burn a bit fast and the
branches and foliage make excellent compost when shredded. Why bother
burning them prematurely? Cut down, grub out the roots, strip off side
branches and shred, then compost the chippings. Leylandii breaks down
spectacularly quickly and makes first rate compost.

Take the trunks, saw into sections and burn them over winter, that's
winter 2010, not 2009.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

wrote:
johno wrote:
[...]

If you're only going to be burning the smaller stuff, you could probably
get yourself a small shredder that will manage what you would otherwise
burn. Once shredded, it makes very good mulch/weed suppressor or it can
be added to compost heaps.

We got a 2nd hand AL-KO shredder on ebay for about £80 that's seen us
well for several years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_garden-incinerator.jpg

Not sure what the 'batch' aspect is to what you're seeking (unless it's
very much larger, which may be the disadvantage of the above)

This will tend to be smoky, it lacks the basic requirements for a clean
burn, the three Ts.

The problem is this sort of thing cannot provide enough secondary air so
many products of incomplete combustion are simply vented to atmosphere.

It can be simply modified by the strategic addition of a small centrifugal
fan to form a mini air curtain incinerator.

These things need a few minutes to heat up but thereafter as long as the
woody waste overages below 50% moisture content they remain visibly clean.

Fresh leylandii foliage will need wilting from 200% moisture content.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'll have some of the branches for my pizza oven/self cremator
project

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:

Oh, also consider re-planting leylandii but keeping them in check this
time. They make a really good hedge, better than yew IMO. The only
things wrong with leylandii are Daily Mail readers, Guardian readers,
radio 4 listeners and other assorted ****wits who consider "Leylandii"
to be pronounced "Antichrist". Keep the height down and trim once or
twice a year and you will have a tidy, thick barrier against burglars,
stray cats and dogs and your hedge will also filter out noise, dust and
pollution.

My experience of leylandii was not good. I had them chain sawed last
May/June. I did this because holding the hedge trimmer at the hight I
wanted to cut them to made my arms ache. The last time I cut them after
the spring growth, it took me 2 days to cut, rake up the trimmings and
dispose of them. I decided that I was getting too old to keep doing this
job.

Another problem I encountered was that the growth of the shoot's
thickness prevented me getting the top of the hedge down to the level I
wanted, becausde the hedge trimmer did not have a large enough entry gap
for the shoots. Many is the time I have had to get out the pruners,
or even a bow saw, to cut back the thick shoots. I always trimmed them
twice a year, after the growing season, or they would get out of hand.

I'm glad to see the back of them.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
johno wrote:
[...]

Leyland produce a sticky soot residue that will catch fire up the flue if
used excessively. So watch out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

My experience of leylandii was not good. I had them chain sawed last
May/June. I did this because holding the hedge trimmer at the hight I
wanted to cut them to made my arms ache. The last time I cut them after
the spring growth, it took me 2 days to cut, rake up the trimmings and
dispose of them. I decided that I was getting too old to keep doing this
job.

Err yes, that's because someone let them grow into trees. All hedges
have to be kept artificially stunted. Have you seen the size of either
beech or yew left to grow wild? Yet people plant beech hedges and yew
hedges and manage to keep them in check.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
johno writes
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is emptied
once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load the
beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is not
the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I cannot find
anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.

The 210 litre steel drum incinerator was in agricultural use until being
banned (for plastic spray cans) from last year.

I believe the design was tested by Silsoe College of Agriculture and
specified as follows....

From the bottom.. 11 holes equally spaced, 50mm dia. 150mm from the
bottom.

then 8 holes equally spaced, 60mm dia. 440mm from the bottom.

You need a grid/grate at 190mm from the bottom. Mine uses strong
expanded metal but anything above 3mm wire will probably do. Big chunks
of wood, incautiously thrown in, will bend the red hot grate!

There is no lid. Stand well clear of overhanging branches as flame
length can be several feet.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Firth
writes
Dave wrote:

My experience of leylandii was not good. I had them chain sawed last
May/June. I did this because holding the hedge trimmer at the hight I
wanted to cut them to made my arms ache. The last time I cut them after
the spring growth, it took me 2 days to cut, rake up the trimmings and
dispose of them. I decided that I was getting too old to keep doing this
job.

Err yes, that's because someone let them grow into trees. All hedges
have to be kept artificially stunted. Have you seen the size of either
beech or yew left to grow wild? Yet people plant beech hedges and yew
hedges and manage to keep them in check.

I was 15 years younger when I planted my hedges. Anytime you are up in
Hertfordshire I'll oil up the hedge trimmer in readiness:-)

Done once this year and ready for a tidy up now.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-08-19, Lobster wrote:
johno wrote:
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is emptied
once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load the
beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is not
the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I cannot find
anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.
John

What's wrong with something like:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_garden-incinerator.jpg

The first time you use them the zinc galvanising melts and runs off and within
a few months it rusts away to nothing.

I'm wondering if the OP has in mind the incinerator that I found at my
home when I moved in? It was extremely large, made out of circular
fireclay sections, with a stainless steel conical lid. Inside it had a
firegrate supported about a foot off the floor. It was fairly good at
burning things, and being about 6ft across it could burn quite a lot of
things. Sadly what it was best at burning was families of hedgehogs so
we got rid of it. Even if we chased them out before lighting it, they
would sneak back in when the fire was out and then die as the CO2
settled in the stack.

No idea where one would get them from - seriously heavy and we had to
break ours up on site and cart it to the dump in lumps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

The first time you use them the zinc galvanising melts and runs off and
within a few months it rusts away to nothing.

Usually accompanied by some curious yellow smoke.

The only "good" thing about these (I've used them) is that they contain
whatever you're burning, should you need to have a fire withing 3m of your
house.

The bad news is they are as stinky as feck. Unless you get the fire so host
the gasses spewing from the chimney ignite - that is a sight to behold.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

I was 15 years younger when I planted my hedges. Anytime you are up in
Hertfordshire I'll oil up the hedge trimmer in readiness:-)

I've got a Leylandii hedge that I planted at the front of the house
fifteen years ago. It's five foot high over most of run with sections by
the gate that are seven feet high. Passers by think it's yew - the
neighbour has a yew hedge it was planted thirty years ago and it's
nowhere near as compact as the Leylandii. Presumable if we sell up and
move on the next person in will not trim the hedge and then act
astounded when there are 30ft high trees in the front garden.

Done once this year and ready for a tidy up now.

That's all it seems to take. I was thinking of getting one of those
hedge hoover things advertised on TV just to give the hedge the light
trim it needs each year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

I planted this Leylandii front hedge some 30 years ago, and the current
owners have obviously allowed it to get out of hand and cut it back, leaving
the dead interior showing. It will probably never grow back.

I managed to resurrect one like that. It takes dedication. I climbed
inside it with a chainsaw in hand and cut the trunks down to about 2ft
then cut the inside of what was lef to a "V" parallel to the lin of the
hedge to allow light into the centre. Then I kept the tops down to
something reasonable. I also fertilised it with a high-nitrogen
fertiliser, watered it and spent lots of TLC on it. After five years it
was back to a decent hedge. I drive past that house from time to time
and the current owners have looked after it well. It looks as good as
the one outside this house now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 10:06:14 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Huge coughed up some electrons that declared:

The first time you use them the zinc galvanising melts and runs off and
within a few months it rusts away to nothing.

Usually accompanied by some curious yellow smoke.

The only "good" thing about these (I've used them) is that they contain
whatever you're burning, should you need to have a fire withing 3m of your
house.

The bad news is they are as stinky as feck. Unless you get the fire so host
the gasses spewing from the chimney ignite - that is a sight to behold.

Easily achieved by blowing air into it from the bottom with an
industrial Vac. ))

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 09:33, (Steve Firth) wrote:

It was extremely large, made out of circular
fireclay sections,

No idea where one would get them from - seriously heavy

Probably unrelated, but a quarl from a ship's boiler furnace (ring of
heavy firebricks where the oil burner enters the furnace) makes a good
start for such a device. Handy for Scrabble too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Aug, 08:50, Huge wrote:

The first time you use them the zinc galvanising melts and runs off and within
a few months it rusts away to nothing.

The zinc doesn't melt, it evaporates (this is one reason why zinc
metal wasn't smelted in the West until the mid 18th century). If the
zinc merely melts, surface tension holds it in place and the coating
isn't destroyed. The problem arises if the steel gets too hot, hot
enough to boil the zinc.

So to keep a galvanised incinerator galvanized, you need to keep down
the peak temperature of the steelwork. Don't overheat it. Allow a
layer of wood ash (great insulator) to sit inside it (although clean
this out afterwards before leaving it to get damp). Don't overheat
the edges of sheets, or the edges of the vent holes.

For a "dustbin" incinerator I wouldn't pay too much heed to this. Just
keep it dry over winter and it will last OK. For a box incinerator
made of galv sheet, then I would try to arrange stainless steel (all
obviously made from scrap) heat shields on the inside of things,
around major hot spots like the flue outlet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Derek Geldard
saying something like:

The bad news is they are as stinky as feck. Unless you get the fire so host
the gasses spewing from the chimney ignite - that is a sight to behold.

Easily achieved by blowing air into it from the bottom with an
industrial Vac. ))

Bingo!
I used a 45gal drum with forced air from a paint sprayer turbine for a
clean burn of waste veg oil.

Can't find the pic, but it was excellent, with a flame a good two or
three feet above the rim of the barrel and no smoke at all. Un-aired,
the normal mode was smokey as ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks to everyone for their input, I have now decided to do the
following,
1. Buy a shredder to deal with the greenery and smaller branches
2. Create a habitat pile with the heavier un shredable branches and
burn them in a small open brazier on an as and when basis.
3. Use the trunks for some form of garden construction, ie as edging
for a border or a low raised bed.
4. Keep a few of the trees minus their foliage but still in the ground
as hammock slinging points!

Thanks again for the very useful and constructive advice.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does ANYONE have any information about the Silsoe Oil Barrel/Drum Incerator
conversion ? I need to get the correct drawings or specific dimensions of
the vent holes & internal grate height for this incinerator.

geebee

url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391145360.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Nov, 09:48, "G wrote:
Does ANYONE have any information about the Silsoe Oil Barrel/Drum Incerator
conversion ? I need to get the correct drawings or specific dimensions of
the vent holes & internal grate height for this incinerator.

I've always made the vent holes with a precision broaching operation
over a tapered self-piercing mandrel.

Or "pickaxe", as most people know it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley
wibbled on Friday 20 November 2009 11:40

On 20 Nov, 09:48, "G wrote:
Does ANYONE have any information about the Silsoe Oil Barrel/Drum
Incerator conversion ? I need to get the correct drawings or specific
dimensions of the vent holes & internal grate height for this
incinerator.

I've always made the vent holes with a precision broaching operation
over a tapered self-piercing mandrel.

Or "pickaxe", as most people know it.

Didn't use the Clarkson sheet metal hole boring method then?

(Shotgun)

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...