Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Measuring out an epoxy batch into housings....

There's some machining involved so its almost on topic.

I've got a job on that needs to have about 100cc +/- 1cc of epoxy resin mix
poured into an assembly as a filler to make it up to the required weight.
The assembly has an open top 4" in diameter into which the resin can be
poured. The resin type, amount and housing design are all non-negotiable as
they are defined by the customer. Pot life IIRC is 20 minutes or so.

I've got a couple of hundred of these to do and figured someone here has
probably done something similar. Any clues on a tidy way to do it so I don't
end up with epoxy everywhere but where it's meant to be!

I'm thinking batches of 20 or so using cheap throw-away plastic jugs to mix
the resin in and then pour it into the housings while they sit on some
weighing scales. Any advice or suggestions on a cleaner or tidier approach?

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There are 2 part epoxy dispensers made which have a removeable vortex mixing
nozzle on the front of the materials cartridge, operated with air pressure
to dispense the required amount as needed, but they are rather pricey. An
ebay search may turn up a used unit. I would think there are some hand
operated epoxy dispensers like this for lower-level use, but I've never been
exposed to them, if indeed they do exist. Wait!Ahh! I found one. Link below.
It's 50 ml, but that was my first hit. You may find larger ones.

RJ

"Den" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message
[...]

"Backlash" wrote in message
.. .
There are 2 part epoxy dispensers made which have a removeable vortex
mixing nozzle on the front of the materials cartridge, operated with air
pressure to dispense the required amount as needed, but they are rather
pricey. An ebay search may turn up a used unit. I would think there are
some hand operated epoxy dispensers like this for lower-level use, but
I've never been exposed to them, if indeed they do exist. Wait!Ahh! I
found one. Link below. It's 50 ml, but that was my first hit. You may find
larger ones.

RJ

That's a good idea, I'll look into that further. I neglected to mention that
the customer supplies the epoxy in 20kg drums which probably prevents the
dispensor / mixing nozzle approach. It's likely a one off job so spending $$
on a dispensing system is not really viable. You have given me one idea -
using cheap disposable 2L ketchup style squirt bottles might be less messy.
Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tape 2 bottles together, manifolded with tubing into one common outlet, and
one of the mixing nozzles attached? Then you would not have to worry about
pot life time. I'm sure the nozzles are available separately.

RJ

"Den" wrote in message

"Den" wrote in message
[...]

"Backlash" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Den" wrote in message

"Den" wrote in message
[...]

"Backlash" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You might be able to find 100 mL disposable syringes if you need to add an
exact amount in that range to keep the weight consistent. Becton-Dickinson
is one maker, but we usually get such things from a scientific supply house
like Fisher Scientific or VWR. Farm supply stores might also sell them.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:

You might be able to find 100 mL disposable syringes if you need to add
an exact amount in that range to keep the weight consistent.
Becton-Dickinson is one maker, but we usually get such things from a
scientific supply house like Fisher Scientific or VWR. Farm supply
stores might also sell them.

Mike

Or vetenarian supply.

I get mine from Tractor Supply...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 12:38 pm, cavelamb himself wrote:
Mike Henry wrote:

You might be able to find 100 mL disposable syringes if you need to add
an exact amount in that range to keep the weight consistent.
Becton-Dickinson is one maker, but we usually get such things from a
scientific supply house like Fisher Scientific or VWR. Farm supply
stores might also sell them.

Mike

Or vetenarian supply.

I get mine from Tractor Supply...

Ever thought of doing it by weight? Use a digital scale, re-tare after
each use. Determine what the weight of 100cc is and add until you
reach that weight.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 12:13 am, "Den" wrote:
[...]

Hi, Den.
We have a similar job for a customer, although much smaller amounts.
My general manager set the job up so each time we do a batch, we use
some of the stretch plastic normally used to secure items to pallets.
We have a small left-over roll and cover everything with the plastic
wrap, including the scales, an then throw it all away when the batch
is complete. Works most of the time. I see a few small spots on the
surface to the vented enclosure we do the work in.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mike Henry wrote:

You might be able to find 100 mL disposable syringes if you need to add
an exact amount in that range to keep the weight consistent.
Becton-Dickinson is one maker, but we usually get such things from a
scientific supply house like Fisher Scientific or VWR. Farm supply
stores might also sell them.

Mike

Or vetenarian supply.

I get mine from Tractor Supply...

Ever thought of doing it by weight? Use a digital scale, re-tare after
each use. Determine what the weight of 100cc is and add until you
reach that weight.

I find that I much prefer syringes.

They are more consistent than pumps - which sometimes deliver a short
stroke (then what do you do?)

As accurate as digital scales for repeatability.
And a lot quicker and easier to use.
And I've never had one give me a short stroke.

By selecting syringes that match the mix ratio of resin to catalyst
the whole measuring process becomes a no brainer.

6:1 - 1 cc and 6cc for small batches or or 10cc and 60c for bigs.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mike Henry" wrote:

Farm supply stores might also sell them.

Feed stores have really big syringes and needles.

Wes