Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Garden waste batch incinerator

Huge wrote:

I planted this Leylandii front hedge some 30 years ago, and the current
owners have obviously allowed it to get out of hand and cut it back, leaving
the dead interior showing. It will probably never grow back.

I managed to resurrect one like that. It takes dedication. I climbed
inside it with a chainsaw in hand and cut the trunks down to about 2ft
then cut the inside of what was lef to a "V" parallel to the lin of the
hedge to allow light into the centre. Then I kept the tops down to
something reasonable. I also fertilised it with a high-nitrogen
fertiliser, watered it and spent lots of TLC on it. After five years it
was back to a decent hedge. I drive past that house from time to time
and the current owners have looked after it well. It looks as good as
the one outside this house now.