Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Garden waste batch incinerator

Huge wrote:

On 2009-08-19, Lobster wrote:
johno wrote:
I have a large garden surrounded by Leylandii and will be removing
them on a regular basis, however disposing of the evidence is a
problem. The green recycling bin only holds half a tree and is emptied
once a fortnight, at that rate it will take me years!
Not practical to have a bonfire due to layout of garden, but I was
told about a home made batch incinerator by a friend. Simply load the
beast up, fasten the lid, light it up and away you go. This is not
the same as a regular garden incinerator apparently, but I cannot find
anything on the web.
Any help appreciated.
John

What's wrong with something like:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/image/s_garden-incinerator.jpg

The first time you use them the zinc galvanising melts and runs off and within
a few months it rusts away to nothing.

I'm wondering if the OP has in mind the incinerator that I found at my
home when I moved in? It was extremely large, made out of circular
fireclay sections, with a stainless steel conical lid. Inside it had a
firegrate supported about a foot off the floor. It was fairly good at
burning things, and being about 6ft across it could burn quite a lot of
things. Sadly what it was best at burning was families of hedgehogs so
we got rid of it. Even if we chased them out before lighting it, they
would sneak back in when the fire was out and then die as the CO2
settled in the stack.

No idea where one would get them from - seriously heavy and we had to
break ours up on site and cart it to the dump in lumps.