Karl Townsend

Default WAY OT batch file command

The file backup utility in our sales program has crashed and burned.

I need to make a batch file that I can just have the operator click on the
icon and run it. One command I need help with is a MD command having a
unique name for each date. Any format for date would be fine. The file would
go something like this

CD\SALES
MD today's date
CD today's date
COPY C:\SALES\*.DBF
COPY C:\SALES\*.CDX

I know this is totally way off topic. Almost as bad as discussing politics.
Metal content: The SO put her foot down, I can't start welding on the next
project until this is fixed. We have a scraper, dozer and trackhoe here
building the pad for the new machine shop. Need a custom metal grate for the
highway culvert right now.

Karl

James Waldby

Chris wrote:
"Karl Townsend" ... wrote...

I need to make a batch file

[snip]
something like this

CD\SALES
MD today's date
CD today's date
COPY C:\SALES\*.DBF
COPY C:\SALES\*.CDX

I know this is totally way off topic. Almost as bad as discussing
politics. Metal content: The SO put her foot down, I can't start welding
on the next project until this is fixed.

Works for me

Not sure of which version of Microsoft you are using.
Might need to specify as the commands vary somewhat.

md %date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2%

This is a neat trick off the top of my head. It creates a tree of
directories (ie. year, than the month then the day)

I found this years ago and it works great.

Under W2000, date outputs as (eg) "Sat 09/03/2005", so perhaps
that's different from yours. A command file I tested:
set v=%date:~10,4%.%date:~4,2%.%date:~7,2%
echo %v%
mkdir "%v%"
cd "%v%"
copy ..\*.bat .
dir/w
cd ..
produces directory names like "2005.09.03". That is,
a flat set of directories rather than your tree form,
2005\09\03

Karl - http://www.computerhope.com/sethlp.htm has
some examples near the middle of the :~ op.
-jiw
James Waldby

Chris wrote:
The tree form was just a goof actually. If I remember right, I did not
bother converting the "/" out of the .bat file. Tried, but than I figured
that the directory tree was actually a little neater. Even more so if he
is just wanting to start the directory structure off the root of the drive.
Remember only 512 directory entries allowed. So 1.4 (or so) years from now
he would be in trouble and might not know it.

I realize FAT16 has a limit of 512 entries per folder
but other filesystems have higher limits, eg
FAT32- 65,534 files or folders per folder, per
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1736383.php
while http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154997/EN-US/
says "The previous limitations on the number of root
folder entries no longer exist." Meanwhile,
http://www.mcse.ms/message1778580.html complains
about slow directory access with 57000 files in a
directory.

All that aside, I think it is reasonable to have
at least a year-based tree structure, and if the
daily backups are pretty big, break it down by
months also to closer match CDR or DVD-R size.
-jiw
Karl Townsend

xcopy c:\sales\*.dbf c:\%date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2% /I /Y /C
/V
xcopy c:\sales\*.cdx c:\%date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2% /I /Y /C
/V

WAY KEWL

Thanks for the help. I never cease to be amazed at the breadth of knowledge
available in this NG

Karl

Jim Stewart

Karl Townsend wrote:
The file backup utility in our sales program has crashed and burned.

I need to make a batch file that I can just have the operator click on the
icon and run it. One command I need help with is a MD command having a
unique name for each date. Any format for date would be fine. The file would
go something like this

CD\SALES
MD today's date
CD today's date
COPY C:\SALES\*.DBF
COPY C:\SALES\*.CDX

I know this is totally way off topic. Almost as bad as discussing politics.
Metal content: The SO put her foot down, I can't start welding on the next
project until this is fixed. We have a scraper, dozer and trackhoe here
building the pad for the new machine shop. Need a custom metal grate for the
highway culvert right now.

I prefer to run a Quickbasic program that dynamically
generates the batch script then shells out and runs
it. I have a QB program that runs every night on my
backup server that does the following:

Creates a subdirectory on drive D: (which is hot-
swap raid 1) of the form yymmdd

Copies the network server over completely to the
subdirectory using xxcopy and the copy everthing
option.

Creates a subdirectory inside that subdirectory called
\website

Generates and runs an ftp script that copies over
a tarball backup from my internet server that it created
the day before onto that subdirectory.

Since my backup server has 300 gig drives and the
network server is only about 3.5 gig, the backup server
keeps about 80 days worth of backup images. I go
through and prune them down to weekly every once in
a while.

Every friday night, I break the raid mirror, pull
one of the backup drives and stick it in my car.
I put in the drive that was in my car and resync
the mirror. No reboots no hassle. I spend about
10 minutes a week doing backups.

Chris

"James Waldby" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
[...]

All good points, but two things. One NTFS has a limit of 512 entries in
the root directory, to which the OP was creating the directories. Secondly
the OP did not mention the if he was using NTFS or FAT so the lest common
denominator was chosen.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Chris

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message anews.com...
The file backup utility in our sales program has crashed and burned.

I need to make a batch file that I can just have the operator click on the
icon and run it. One command I need help with is a MD command having a
unique name for each date. Any format for date would be fine. The file
would go something like this

CD\SALES
MD today's date
CD today's date
COPY C:\SALES\*.DBF
COPY C:\SALES\*.CDX

I know this is totally way off topic. Almost as bad as discussing
politics. Metal content: The SO put her foot down, I can't start welding
on the next project until this is fixed. We have a scraper, dozer and
trackhoe here building the pad for the new machine shop. Need a custom
metal grate for the highway culvert right now.

Karl

Karl,

Not sure of which version of Microsoft you are using. Might need to specify
as the commands vary somewhat.

md %date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2%

This is a neat trick off the top of my head. It creates a tree of
directories (ie. year, than the month then the day), making it a little
easier to navigate. Should work fine for you. I found this years ago and
it works great. Use it in a couple of places.

CD %date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2%

Would work as well.

--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
soldier. If it is in ebonics, thank your Congressman.

Chris

[...]

OK got bored here :

xcopy c:\sales\*.dbf c:\%date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2% /I /Y /C
/V
xcopy c:\sales\*.cdx c:\%date:~-4,4%\%date:~-10,2%\%date:~-7,2% /I /Y /C
/V

The two commands above should get you going. Tried to get them into one
command but windows will not allow you to call out more than one filename
from the source, at least that I know of.

Those should do it for you. As a sidenote you really should be using the
xcopy command for this. "xcopy /?" and any command prompt will get you the
info needed. Lot more powerful for what you are doing.