Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Getting rid of moles

I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?
|FC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freecycle" wrote in message
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?

Call into your local Golf Course and ask the Head Greenkeeper who on his
crew would like a drink for sorting the problem.
Many courses have a registered poisons person for just that purpose.
On the one I worked at there were 2 people registered to use the "Banned to
the public" chemicals and poisons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:02:29 -0700 (PDT), freecycle wrote:

How the hell do you get rid of them?

Swivel chair and shot gun.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How the hell do you get rid of them?

Go to youtube, and look for "jasper carrot moles"...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
freecycle writes:
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?

My grandfather used to get up at 4am as the daylight starts appearing,
and sit watching the lawn. As a mole hill rises up, you whack it hard
with a heavy spade. That's the end of that mole.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
freecycle writes
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?
|FC

Shotgun, swivel chair and torch gaffa taped to a safety helmet.
--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freecycle" wrote in message
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?
|FC

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

freecycle wrote:
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?
|FC

tactiocal nuclear weapon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:41:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
had this to say:

freecycle wrote:
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?
|FC

tactiocal nuclear weapon.

Cauterisation.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
PeterC wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 11:58:21 +0100, wrote:

On 13 Jul, Clint Sharp wrote:

Shotgun, swivel chair and torch gaffa taped to a safety helmet.
Wouldn't that be a little top heavy?

and what does the chair do?

Swivels...

like a lighthouse :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 22:02:29 -0700, freecycle wrote:

I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?

Concrete over the bloody lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
freecycle wrote:
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?

Angle gr...

Mole Grips?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:
freecycle wrote:
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?

Angle gr...

Mole Grips?

Don't laugh. Once I had a Guy Fawkes barbecue, and saw one of the
buggers scrabbling around. I grabbed it in the tongs, and pretended to
drop it on the fire, but actually dropped it in the ground behind.

Years later I was told that everybody believed I had burnt it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
Shotgun, swivel chair and torch gaffa taped to a safety helmet.

So it's dark when you're popping off at these things, or you wouldn't
need a torch.

I'm glad it isn't _my_ neighbour setting of a 12 bore at 4 am!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:17:24 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
My grandfather used to get up at 4am as the daylight starts appearing,
and sit watching the lawn. As a mole hill rises up, you whack it hard
with a heavy spade. That's the end of that mole.

Hmm, I bet someone could rig up a little robot with a vision system to do
that automatically... just randomly pootles around the garden, unattended,
clobbering anything that appears...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freecycle" wrote in message
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?
|FC

ISTR the molecatcher around here charges 50p or £1 a head. He uses traps
these days, available from good farm shops or on the web.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Hmm, multi use tool, I bet you could unblock drains with that too

Thomas Prufer

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Bloody hell!

When I first looked at that I assumed it was a spoof, but I don't think
it is... is it?!!?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomas Prufer wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Thomas Prufer

Is it oxy-propane? I'd go for a v lean mix of oxy-acetylene to ensure a
flame front. propane may need too much fuel for safety and make an
ignitable mixture.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Bloody hell!

When I first looked at that I assumed it was a spoof, but I don't
think it is... is it?!!?

Don't think so. Interesting to follow the link to the UK site where they
carefully only talk about collapsing tunnels rather than blowing the buggers
up, which seems a source of delight on the USA site.

It seems its illegal to kill them with any explosive device in the UK, but
no so in the USA.

Typical of the poxy PC world we live in.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?
And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Bloody hell!

When I first looked at that I assumed it was a spoof, but I don't
think it is... is it?!!?

Don't think so. Interesting to follow the link to the UK site where they
carefully only talk about collapsing tunnels rather than blowing the buggers
up, which seems a source of delight on the USA site.

It seems its illegal to kill them with any explosive device in the UK, but
no so in the USA.

Shame. Its probably the most humane way to do it.

Ah, but it doesn't make work for rodent catchers!

Thats why..
Typical of the poxy PC world we live in.

Yup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clint Sharp
writes
In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

Hmm, multi use tool, I bet you could unblock drains with that too

Great for finding underground gas leaks, too.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:27:45 +0100, Bill wrote:

Great for finding underground gas leaks, too.

Oh well, if you're worried about that, then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqSyLENI0_g

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:29:43 +0100, Lobster
wrote:

When I first looked at that I assumed it was a spoof, but I don't think
it is... is it?!!?

No, it isn't...

Before rushing out to get one:, two chaps using one set fire to a grass field
using one. And, I recall reading on the 'net (thus to be taken with a few grains
of salt) of one chap who flooded a mole or gopher burrow with propane, only to
have it seep into the cellar of his house through porous foundations, where it
was ignited by a pilot light, leaving him homeless.

And while it may be a fine tool in a paddock, it won't really help you get the
lawn back to level.

Handy to have to post to Usenet every time someone suggests an angle grinder or
car body filler, though.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Update:
was eating my tea last night, looked out onto the lawn
and saw another hill rising. Rushed into the garage,
the only thing I could find was a brand new tim of
Hammerite brush cleaner ("dangerous to inhale").
Moved the spoil off the latest hill, found the run,
poured large quantity of liquid in, sealed hole.
Repeated with previous hills. LETS SEE HOW THE B*GGER
LIKES THAT.
|FC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-07-13, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:04 +0100, "PeterK" wrote:

Propane + remote spark from a converted piezo electric gas lighter?

And oxygen. Video at:

http://www.rodenator.com/

"Leaves nothing in the ground". Yeah, a gigantic crater.

How about being less anal about the moles, instead?

They really do completely wreck a lawn.

I've got at a conservative estimate 10-20 on a bit over an acre. Its a
nightmare.

It's also dabgerous: the Anglian water people on the fens employ
molecatchers and rabbit catchers because the burrows undermine the dyke
walls, and with rivers running 6-8 ft ABOVE the fields*, you don't need
that..

* I've driven on one road that is at least 20ft below the river.. quite
scary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 13, 6:02*am, freecycle wrote:
I've got EIGHT (count them, EIGHT) mole repellers
in my 20m square garden, 4 which rattle and 4
which give off a tone. This morning I opened my
curtains and there in the middle of my newly laid
lawn was another hill.
How the hell do you get rid of them?
|FC

Noisy mole repellers don't work. The only way to get rid of moles is
to kill them, and the easiest way to do so is by the use of tunnel
traps:

http://www.trapman.co.uk/mole-trap-catching-hints.htm

If you don't like the idea of killing moles, console yourself in the
knowledge that they are not endangered, nor are they sociable - a
large amount of damage to one garden is often done by one mole. Also,
if the positions were reversed, and moles were very large, while we
were very small, they would have no compunction about eating us if we
fell into their tunnels.

We moved to "the country" a couple of years ago, and started with all
the "humane" towny ideas of discouraging them: noisy mole repellers
(result: ring of mole hills); mothballs down the hole (result: new
mole hill with moth ball on top), etc. I then got some tunnel traps,
and had immediate success, as a complete novice. Just follow the
instructions.

You could save for a waistcoat :-)

Regards
Richard

moles Si[_2_] UK diy 41 November 30th 07 10:52 AM
Moles! Donna Home Repair 44 May 16th 07 02:04 PM
moles FH Home Repair 20 April 12th 07 01:49 AM
Electrocuting moles Andrew Gabriel UK diy 31 January 14th 07 08:57 AM
Got rid of the d@mn moles...sort of [email protected] Home Repair 4 July 16th 06 07:17 AM