Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

Default News Individual.Net Problems

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been able
to get connected for hours .
Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

On 21 Feb, 15:43, molley wrote:
Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been able
to get connected for hours .
Stuart

Nor have I. Nor is the web site working. Ha - it is now, and shows

"Important Notice: News server maintenance ongoing
NNTP access currently might be limited or impossible. Please try again
later."

Great. Not.

(Google groups seems like the obvious way of posting in this
circumstance. One reason I don't dismiss all posts through Google.)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 07:43:44 -0800 (PST), molley
wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been able
to get connected for hours .
Stuart

Try swapping from eu to us or vice versa. It is rare both servers are
down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been
able to get connected for hours .
Stuart

Try swapping from eu to us or vice versa. It is rare both servers are
down.

Alan, please explain more fully?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been
able to get connected for hours .
Stuart

Try swapping from eu to us or vice versa. It is rare both servers are
down.

Alan, please explain more fully?

Yeah.I don't understand either ..it's just news.individual.net I use .

Also I forgot they had a website ..silly me .

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

"molley" wrote in message

Also I forgot they had a website ..silly me .

All OK now.

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been able
to get connected for hours .
Stuart

Try swapping from eu to us or vice versa. It is rare both servers are
down.

Sorry wrong news server
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc
OG OG is offline

"Ian F." wrote in message
"molley" wrote in message

Also I forgot they had a website ..silly me .

All OK now.

I'm getting lots of 'Message is no longer available on the server' reports
on my NIN newsgroups; presumably related. . .

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been able
to get connected for hours .

Ah, uk.d-i-y and uk.media.tv.misc are now NIN support groups? No? Then
ever considered sending an email, genius? Nah, course not. Whatever
would you do that for, eh?

Ah yes.I want to update my Usenet Groups messages or I want to post a
Usenet message to any number of Usenet groups using Agent via News
Individual .Net but I can't so how do I do it .I know ...I'll send an
e-mail ...err no I won't cos that won't work it will it ?
****
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been
able to get connected for hours .
Stuart

Yes same problem here. Server not responding

Vaidd,

The server was down for servicing earlier today - as blasted from the
www.news.individual.net website for a while - all working ok now, obviously!

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been
able to get connected for hours .
Stuart

Yes same problem here. Server not responding

Vaidd,

The server was down for servicing earlier today - as blasted from the
www.news.individual.net website for a while - all working ok now,
obviously!
Cash

Vaidd,

Apologies - I though that you were the OP until I re-read the post (after
sending mine [as usual]) - that's the problem with globally kill-filing all
google and gmail accounts to cut down on the spam.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been able
to get connected for hours .

I moved to motzarella.org when I got ****ed around over them failing
to take payment from 3 different credit cards.

The service is just as good, and completely free.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

Colin Wilson wrote:

I moved to motzarella.org when I got ****ed around over them failing
to take payment from 3 different credit cards.

The service is just as good, and completely free.

Yup. Me too.

Another Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:33:06 -0000, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

Anyone using"news individual.net" as a news server .I've not been able
to get connected for hours .

I moved to motzarella.org when I got ****ed around over them failing
to take payment from 3 different credit cards.

Tell me about it. It took months for Click&Buy to accomplish the
simple task of updating the expiry date of my MasterCard (without
changing the other details) OR deleting the old record and creating
a new one, OR doing any of the other things one might logically
think of doing in that situation. Their website made it literally
logically impossible to extricate oneself from the problem, and
their customer service people repeatedly failed to understand or
respond to my simple explanations of what the problem was. How it
eventually got sorted out, I forget, and I never even completely
knew, because I was so fed up with it that I never even read their
final e-mail to me on the subject. Somehow my credit card did in
the end get debited, because someone at their end must in the end
have updated the details manually. It wasn't as bad as dealing
with the Inland Revenue spit, but it made about as little sense.

The service is just as good, and completely free.

If the credit card nonsense happens again, I'll look into that -
thanks for the tip! Meanwhile, I'm as happy as ever with Nine
Inch Nails ... sorry, News.Individual.NET ... themselves, just
not their payment system. (The old payment system worked fine.)

The notice is still up there at their website:

"Important Notice: News server maintenance ongoing
NNTP access currently might be limited or impossible.
Please try again later."

No access problems for me since yesterday, though.

--
Angus Rodgers
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:51:35 +0000, Sofa - Spud
wrote:

I won't pay for usenet out of principle frankly , not even a
few pounds.

What principle is that? I'm a Usenet junkie myself, and also
I'm always short of money, but it has never bothered me to pay
10 Euros a year to News.Individual.NET. What bothers me is that
so few people these days have even /heard/ of Usenet, and keep on
using appallingly clunky message board systems (or worse, blogs),
while demanding improvements that were part of Usenet when it was
designed.

--
Angus Rodgers
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:51:35 UTC, Sofa - Spud
wrote:

I won't pay for usenet out of principle frankly , not even a few pounds.

What principle exactly? Do you expect everything to be free?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Froot Bat wrote:

It may not be costing _you_ any money, but it'll be costing someone.

And? Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and 100s of other email providers don't
cost me any money either. What's your point? That you don't have a
****ing clue how the internet economy works?

And running "Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and 100s of other email providers"
doesn't cost anyone any money? Course it does. It directly costs "Gmail,
Hotmail, Yahoo and 100s of other email providers" . And it indirectly
costs all of us who end up paying for the advertising.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

wrote:

I won't pay for usenet out of principle frankly , not even a few pounds.

What principle exactly? Do you expect everything to be free?

Perhaps he just expects usenet to be free. And why not, it always has
been.

Not really. I've been using it for 27 years, and someone has always had
to pay something in all that time. Mainly my employer...who actually
sold Usenet services to the UK years ago.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
There's not perhaps about it. How much is Sofa Spud paying for it?
Nothing or Perhaps Nothing?

I don't know. I haven't looked. But whether or not someone is using
their ISP's news server, they're paying for it, if it exists.

It was held together, until ISPs, etc.,
started to bundle it, by enthusiasts that built their news servers out
of odd spares, and hid their news servers from their bosses. For a
while, I was one of them, and I know of two people still doing it.

Do you find this impresses the ladies? Or anyone else?

I don't give a toss one way or the other. Your point? Other than that
you don't have the reasoning capability to handle this discussion?

So, let's get this straight. You don't think ISPs should provide news
servers because it isn't their job to do that, and you want a news
service for free. Exactly where is that going to come from?

Try alt.free.newsservers. Or try reading this thread.

Someone's still paying to run it. They can stop running it at any
time. They can kick users off at a whim.

It may not be costing _you_ any money, but it'll be costing someone.

And? Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and 100s of other email providers don't
cost me any money either. What's your point?

They cost someone something. They're only free at the point of use.

That you don't have a
****ing clue how the internet economy works?

It depends on advertising. One of these days, the advertisers are
going to start ****ing off. There's a recession on, so it could be
soon.
--
SAm.
Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Froot Bat wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:20:52 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Froot Bat wrote:

It may not be costing _you_ any money, but it'll be costing someone.
And? Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and 100s of other email providers don't
cost me any money either. What's your point? That you don't have a
****ing clue how the internet economy works?

And running "Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo and 100s of other email providers"
doesn't cost anyone any money? Course it does.

Is this a private conversation between you and you, or can anyone join
in?

Did I deny that it costs them money? Nope. Pretty sure the word "And?"
shows I agreeed. If you can find someone to read my post to you, until
it sinks in, you'll see I wrote they don't cost _me_ any money. Take
your time and see if you can spot the difference between the word "me"
and the words "Gmail" or "Hotmail" or "Yahoo".

It directly costs "Gmail,
Hotmail, Yahoo and 100s of other email providers" . And it indirectly
costs all of us who end up paying for the advertising.

Funny, I don't recall paying for any advertising. I'm pretty sure the
people advertising do that. But what do I know, you're the one writing
my posts for me.

Not worth the ink to respond...

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

"Sofa - Spud" wrote in message ...
michael adams wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message ...
wrote:
I've never had a problem with PayPal, but even if you do think they're
"sharp" my point was that by backing it with a credit card, it's not
your money that's at risk, it's the CC company's.

That is no longer the case. Many credit card issuers will not refund
PayPal transactions. Some even treat a PayPal transaction as a cash
advance, and charge you a 2.5% surcharge - plus you incur interest from
Day 1, not the date of your next statement.

Visa on Barclaycard don't and they're probably the largest single CC provider
in the UK. They were also among the first. There's no annual charge,
no charge for using Paypal, and zero interest payable if the outstanding balance
is cleared each month. Together with a detailed monthly statement. All
totally free to the user and paid for by the merchant.

If people instead choose to get ripped off by their clearly inferior competitors
then whose fault is that exactly ?

I'm not aware of any extra charges form using Mastercard on PayPal , it
has been quite a while since I used PP. All the other stuff applies as
with Visa - no charge , zero interest - who doesn't pay it all off anyway?

It's probably the cards that give you the free carriage clock or pen when you
join, or a picture of a panda on the card, that charge for Paypal.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.media.tv.misc

And where is usenet-news "resident"? Or "CCdeb" their payment
processor (owned by the same people): http://ccdeb.com ?
I'm sure they're kosher, but they do a bloody good job of ensuring I
wouldn't trust them with my CC details.

You're in the UK I presume, so even if there were "dodgy" transactions
appearing on your card, unless they can prove you're liable, they have
to remove them.

FWIW though, I signed up with them about 12 months ago and had no
strange activity appear on my card.