Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
Sam Nelson Sam Nelson is offline

Default News Individual.Net Problems

In article ,
says...

On 22 Feb 2009 20:18:56 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:51:35 UTC, Sofa - Spud
wrote:

I won't pay for usenet out of principle frankly , not even a few pounds.

What principle exactly? Do you expect everything to be free?

Perhaps he just expects usenet to be free. And why not, it always has
been.

At the point of use, perhaps. It was held together, until ISPs, etc.,
started to bundle it, by enthusiasts that built their news servers out
of odd spares, and hid their news servers from their bosses. For a
while, I was one of them, and I know of two people still doing it.

So, let's get this straight. You don't think ISPs should provide news
servers because it isn't their job to do that, and you want a news
service for free. Exactly where is that going to come from? It may
not be costing _you_ any money, but it'll be costing someone.
--
SAm.