Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Its so cold that...

It's so cold that - the portaloo I hired is frozen solid!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

It's so cold that - the portaloo I hired is frozen solid!

That's a bum deal G

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
It's so cold that - the portaloo I hired is frozen solid!

Tough sh1t?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , mogga

How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

They're beautiful, thanks for sharing.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Jan, 19:21, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:00:01 +0000, mogga wrote:
How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

I keep meaning to try that, but it's cold enough out that I can never
quite motivate myself! :-) *

I wasn't expecting any sympathy, but I have basically been freezing
cold while engaged in renovating my house by myself for the last few
weeks. On Friday I get some company when one of my two chimneys gets
lined (thermocrete). The following week I get my wood burning Rayburn
installed! The bliss of a hot cup of tea awaits.

Seriously though, it's been freakin' cold! Tomorrow I stop using lime
and start using cement! I'm also chucking away my wife's packed lunch
of lentils and fish, and going for a McDonalds to warm me up! The
McDonalds is only 7 miles away!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 13:21:00 -0600, Jules wrote:

How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

I keep meaning to try that, but it's cold enough out that I can never
quite motivate myself! :-)

If it stays cold tommorow late afternoon I might try it with the kids,
they were fascinated by the photos and it has me intrigued as well. It's
warmed up a bit this evening only -4.6C now from a min on -5.9C at 1830.

Freezing from top down I suspect is more likely due to the bubble film
being thinner there (due to gravity) thus less energy needs to be lost.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 07:51:29 -0800, tom.harrigan wrote:

It's so cold that - the portaloo I hired is frozen solid!

Put your lips round it and blow.

Oh, sorry - that's car door locks. My mistake ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:39:15 -0800, tom.harrigan wrote:

On 5 Jan, 19:21, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:00:01 +0000, mogga wrote:
How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

I keep meaning to try that, but it's cold enough out that I can never
quite motivate myself! :-) Â*

I wasn't expecting any sympathy, but I have basically been freezing
cold while engaged in renovating my house by myself for the last few
weeks.

Ahh... as I mentioned in another post, I'm living in Minnesota these days
(I just like asking questions here still as there are so many clueful
folk). In Celcius terms, it's a hot day when it gets as high as -10, and
it's hit -40 on a few occasions this winter. Going outside just to bugger
about with soap bubbles generally isn't a fun thing to do ;-) (summers are
warmer than England genrally, but the winters are pretty harsh)

The following week I get my wood burning Rayburn
installed! The bliss of a hot cup of tea awaits.

Burning wood for house heat's pretty common around here - and
a wood stove kicks out an *insane* amount of heat. I'm not
sure I've heard of anyone here combining one with a cooker, though. Have
fun :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Looks like we are in for a seriously cold night tonight - about the
same as a balmy Minnesota day. I reckon I will get about -12C which is
by far the coldest temperature I have experienced while living in
north Oxfordshire.

My house is about 350years old and I'm doing a rather extensive
renovation which is going very slowly at the moment. I'm still doing
wet work - lime pointing and rendering and it's seriously chilly!

The wood cooker is pretty unusual here too. I've not met anyone who's
got one. Seems like it might be just the thing for a Minnesota winter!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 14:47:06 -0800, tom.harrigan wrote:
Looks like we are in for a seriously cold night tonight - about the
same as a balmy Minnesota day. I reckon I will get about -12C which is
by far the coldest temperature I have experienced while living in
north Oxfordshire.

Yep. I think around -10C was the coldest I ever remember in the UK -
although to be honest I think the temperature difference stops feeling
noticeable somewhere around that sort of mark anyway. It's just sodding
cold, regardless of the actual numbers...

My house is about 350years old and I'm doing a rather extensive
renovation which is going very slowly at the moment.

Nice. Our place is late 1940's, so comparatively new - it's fun to work on
timber-framed places though (although gas-fired forced-air heating is
the worst thing ever; give me good ol' UK radiators any day)

I'm still doing wet
work - lime pointing and rendering and it's seriously chilly!

Heck, didn't even know you could do that kind of thing during winter - the
labels on most things seem to indicate that they stop functioning
properly below a few degrees C.

The wood cooker is pretty unusual here too. I've not met anyone who's
got one. Seems like it might be just the thing for a Minnesota winter!

I've seen one over here, but it was probabaly a good 100 years old (and
just a cooker, not something that also provided house heat). So does it
take an age to stoke up (so not good for 'quick' things), or are you
supposed to just throw a log or two on each day and just leave it
permanently running?

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
wrote:
[...]

To get a sense of perspective, The Met Office Oxford weather station
data goes back to 1853, when winters were cold. 1963 wasn't much fun either
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 08:23, Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I know it's cold, but I hadn't realised you had to go back that far to
find a comparable cold snap!

I live in a spot which has it's own extra-cold microclimate. When I go
down the hill into Warwickshire, it's noticeably warmer! Don't get me
wrong, I'm not complaining. Anything is better than the rains we had
the last two summers!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
SNIP

To get a sense of perspective, The Met Office Oxford weather station
data goes back to 1853, when winters were cold. 1963 wasn't much fun
either

Indeed, in 1893/94 the Thames froze!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Thames_frost_fairs

Climate change?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 00:25, Jules
wrote:
[...]

I think it'll take more than a log or two to keep my new Rayburn 300W
going all day. I hope that a low fire can be kept in all the time(I
plan to cheat a bit by using coal if necessary), and that for cooking
it can be brought up to temperature reasonably quickly.

When it arrives though, it will be burning at full pelt until the ice
on the inside of my windows melts!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Winter 1962-3 was etched on my (then young) mind. Christmas in
Sunderland - dirty snow piled up on all the streets. Bedroom was an
unheated 'granny flat' kitchen. It was cold.

Later, back in Ayr, stories of the sea freezing. Of 13 foot snow drifts.

The previous winters I could remember were in Berlin (which can be very
bitter), so I thought winters were always like that. None since has
really matched up!

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan, 08:59, Rod wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I've just measured -5.5 degrees C outside, and -3 in the room I'm
typing this!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Although 63 was the coldest winter in the last 80 years, I think it was
also the sunniest. Was that a bit early for mini skirts?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:54:51 -0800, tom.harrigan wrote:
I think it'll take more than a log or two to keep my new Rayburn 300W
going all day.

I don't know, I was really surprised at how good wood stoves (for house
heating) are here in the US - I grew up with open fireplaces in the UK, so
had a lot of misconceptions about how good wood can be as a fuel. Get a
nicely designed system and it seems to just tick over on very little fuel
whilst still producing a high output.

When it arrives though, it will be burning at full pelt until the ice on
the inside of my windows melts!

Yeah, been there. At our old place it'd get about 3/4" thick on the
inside. Our new place is better, but it's still all wood-framed
single-glazed French windows which don't exactly do a lot of keeping heat
in and cold out! Doesn't help that the previous owner had apparently
never done any upkeep on them either, so all the putty's falling out :-)

cheers

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:23:40 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:
To get a sense of perspective, The Met Office Oxford weather station
data goes back to 1853, when winters were cold. 1963 wasn't much fun either

Does anywhere log UK snowfall logs by region? It'd be interesting to see
as I remember some seriously deep falls back when I was a kid - but it'd
be nice to know if that actually was true or if it was just a case of me
being shorter coupled with it being uphill both ways back then ;-)

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:23:40 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:
To get a sense of perspective, The Met Office Oxford weather station
data goes back to 1853, when winters were cold. 1963 wasn't much fun either

Does anywhere log UK snowfall logs by region? It'd be interesting to see
as I remember some seriously deep falls back when I was a kid - but it'd
be nice to know if that actually was true or if it was just a case of me
being shorter coupled with it being uphill both ways back then ;-)

J.

I think the Met Office only does historic monthly rainfall, temperature,
and sun hours as public information. No doubt they'll send you a price
list for anything more detailed :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mogga
writes
On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:51:29 -0800 (PST), wrote:

It's so cold that - the portaloo I hired is frozen solid!

How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

Now that's impressive and rather beautiful as well..

Unfortunately my first thought was of Bubbles D'Vere and I almost didn't
click.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 08:23:40 +0000, Stuart Noble wrote:
To get a sense of perspective, The Met Office Oxford weather station
data goes back to 1853, when winters were cold. 1963 wasn't much fun either

Does anywhere log UK snowfall logs by region? It'd be interesting to see
as I remember some seriously deep falls back when I was a kid - but it'd
be nice to know if that actually was true or if it was just a case of me
being shorter coupled with it being uphill both ways back then ;-)

J.

1963 we had snow on the ground for a long time in East London/Essex
border. Only vehicle down our close for a couple of days was the milk
float which was fitted with chains.
Had some good drifts in Norfolk in 1979. They had to use diggers to
clear the A140 past Norwich airport.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
mogga writes:

How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

I just tried this, but found that blowing bubbles in the first
place is harder than I remembered. What's a good solution?
I tried some diluted fairy liquid, and some soap solution, but
without much success (even indoors). Maybe my wire loop isn't
good enough.

Any neighbours looking outside at me trying to blow bubbles
when it's -4C or lower must think I've gone bananas.
OTOH, they've probably suspected that for years...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article ,
mogga writes:

How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

I just tried this, but found that blowing bubbles in the first
place is harder than I remembered. What's a good solution?
I tried some diluted fairy liquid, and some soap solution, but
without much success (even indoors). Maybe my wire loop isn't
good enough.

Any neighbours looking outside at me trying to blow bubbles
when it's -4C or lower must think I've gone bananas.
OTOH, they've probably suspected that for years...

A little sugar with the Fairy solution can help, but I'm told the secret
ingedient is glycerine. Lots of fairy too.

I tried this morning with real bubble liquid. -5C but no bubbles freezing in
the air. Hoever, one bubble did land and sit on the fence and about 30-40
seconds later, it froze.

It was quite a sight - the process took about 10 seconds, freezing from the
bottom upwards.

I've put some liquid in the fridge ready to have another go tomorrow.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:

It was quite a sight - the process took about 10 seconds, freezing from the
bottom upwards.

According to Guy (who photographed the original frozen bubbles) they
freeze rather quicker if you use a machine to blow rather than filling
them with hot breath, makes sense.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:58:55 +0000 Invisible Man wrote :
1963 we had snow on the ground for a long time in East London/Essex
border. Only vehicle down our close for a couple of days was the
milk float which was fitted with chains.

In Twickenham we had snow on the ground for about six weeks. I was at
an 1841-built primary school with frozen-up outdoor toilets, so
school hours were reduced from 9-12 then rush home! Before then (and
before my time) 1947-8, just 15 years earlier, was even worse AIUI,
but in the last 45 years we have had nothing comparable.

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06 Jan 2009 20:41:26 GMT, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Cold enough to freeze bubbles?

I just tried this, but found that blowing bubbles in the first
place is harder than I remembered. What's a good solution?
I tried some diluted fairy liquid, and some soap solution, but
without much success (even indoors). Maybe my wire loop isn't
good enough.

You need a bit of oil with the detergent, google for bubble solutions and
you'll find some excellent sites about the science of bubbles and "bubble
stuff".

Went out, late afternoon, with the kids and some commercial solution. No
freezing bubbles but it was only -2C. Even when I let the wind blow the
bubbles rather than me.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:58:55 +0000 Invisible Man wrote :
1963 we had snow on the ground for a long time in East London/Essex
border. Only vehicle down our close for a couple of days was the
milk float which was fitted with chains.

In Twickenham we had snow on the ground for about six weeks. I was at
an 1841-built primary school with frozen-up outdoor toilets, so
school hours were reduced from 9-12 then rush home! Before then (and
before my time) 1947-8, just 15 years earlier, was even worse AIUI,
but in the last 45 years we have had nothing comparable.

1981-82 came close .. or was it 1982-83?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

1981-82 came close .. or was it 1982-83?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ata/index.html

HTH

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 00:52:48 +0000, Bruce wrote:

Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:58:55 +0000 Invisible Man wrote :
1963 we had snow on the ground for a long time in East London/Essex
border. Only vehicle down our close for a couple of days was the
milk float which was fitted with chains.

In Twickenham we had snow on the ground for about six weeks. I was at
an 1841-built primary school with frozen-up outdoor toilets, so
school hours were reduced from 9-12 then rush home! Before then (and
before my time) 1947-8, just 15 years earlier, was even worse AIUI,
but in the last 45 years we have had nothing comparable.

1981-82 came close .. or was it 1982-83?

I'm not sure which either. But I do remember that winter the snow
drifting over the top of the ground floor windows.

I also remember going for a walk in the countryside and seeing someone
digging in the snow. On getting closer I could see a patch of colour
- it was the roof of a car! You couldn't even see there was a road
there!

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:58:55 +0000 Invisible Man wrote :
1963 we had snow on the ground for a long time in East London/Essex
border. Only vehicle down our close for a couple of days was the
milk float which was fitted with chains.

In Twickenham we had snow on the ground for about six weeks. I was at
an 1841-built primary school with frozen-up outdoor toilets, so
school hours were reduced from 9-12 then rush home! Before then (and
before my time) 1947-8, just 15 years earlier, was even worse AIUI,
but in the last 45 years we have had nothing comparable.

1981-82 came close .. or was it 1982-83?

Coldest winters since 1914 (avg min temps)
1963 -0.2
1947 0.9
1979 1.2
1940 1.3
1917 1.4
1929 1.5
1941 1.8
1951 2.0
1942 2.1
1982 2.1

Quite interesting juggling the Met Office figures in Excel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Bruce wrote:

1981-82 came close .. or was it 1982-83?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ata/index.html

Thanks Andy!

It was 1981-82, because according to the first page you linked to,
10 January 1982 was the date of the all-time record lowest daily
temperatures in both England and Scotland.

Newport (Shropshire) -26.1C
Braemar (Highland) -27.2C

At that time, I was working on a construction project in Lancashire. It
was so cold that the sea froze, with sheets of ice forming on beaches as
the tide went out, and ice sheets floated in the local harbour for
several days.

There was a maximum/minimum thermometer on site. Overnight, it recorded
a minimum of -18C with a maximum the following day of -8.5C.

I remember 1963. The cold snap lasted longer than the one in 1982, but
obviously it wasn't as cold.

Thanks again for the links.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Bruce wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
Bruce wrote:
[...]

I had just moved into my first house (the first I had bought) - and the
road froze with severe corrugations. Really nasty to attempt to drive
over. Must have been very un-waterproof. Changed from reasonably OK to
being in desperate need of resurfacing overnight. Don't think I remember
anything quite so bad. Being a rail commuter at the time, had great fun
with cracked rails.

If that happened now, it doesn't bear thinking about how long it would
take to get done. There is a pothole brigade round here - and there are
still major surface problems that haven't been mended in at least five
years.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
Bruce wrote:
[...]

I remember both,. 1962 wasn; that cold, it just wen on and on.

1982..yeah. I had a porch, with a radiator, that I didn't use in winter.
It froze!

that was on the Fens with -15c and a 30mph wind. They SAID the chill
factor was -45C..

I managed to actually patch it with car body filler enough to be able to
run the rest of the system..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was down in the cellar planning puting kingspan on the ceiling
when i noticed that it's warmer in the cellar than up in the house!

So the vapour barrier will be the wrong if i have it at the top!

But as we only have weather like this for a short part of the year
i still plan to have plastic above the kingspan, under the floorboards...

[g]