Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (500$). Not
enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.

Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the
50RPM needed?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What are you cutting and how much? Maybe those here can suggest a
better solution if we knew what you are cutting. A cold saw is more
than just a slow blade. The clamping must be stronger and the feed
controlled or you strip all the teeth off the blade.

starbolin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

First, any red blooded american will want to tinker "just because". Or
as Forrest would say 'no particular reason".

I saw some really nice cold saws with a divided jaw vise - akin to two
vises, side by side. That way, the cut off piece won't jam in the blade.

To be truthful, a small metal cutting bandsaw would do me for the 6"
stuff I'd like to cut. But a man can dream, can't he?

wrote:
What are you cutting and how much? Maybe those here can suggest a
better solution if we knew what you are cutting. A cold saw is more
than just a slow blade. The clamping must be stronger and the feed
controlled or you strip all the teeth off the blade.

starbolin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:20:52 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (500$). Not
enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.

Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the
50RPM needed?

Did you see this thread awhile back that azotic brewed up?
===
From: azotic Mar 31, 10:09 pm

Having a need for a compact metal cutting saw i decided to
have some fun building one. Foot print is 8" X 10", cutting
capacity is 3" X 6", equiped with a DC motor gives variable
speed capability for a variaty of materials. Vise is
removable and replaced with a small rotory table for angle
cuts. Total cost is about $100.00 using new surplus
components purchased on ebay. Construction time is under 8
hours.

Pix 4 shows a test cut.

Ideas, sugestions, comments welcome.

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs1.jpg