Metalworking (rec.crafts.metalworking) Discuss various aspects of working with metal, such as machining, welding, metal joining, screwing, casting, hardening/tempering, blacksmithing/forging, spinning and hammer work, sheet metal work.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 602
Default Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (500$). Not
enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.

Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the
50RPM needed?
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 44
Default Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

What are you cutting and how much? Maybe those here can suggest a
better solution if we knew what you are cutting. A cold saw is more
than just a slow blade. The clamping must be stronger and the feed
controlled or you strip all the teeth off the blade.

starbolin

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 602
Default Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

First, any red blooded american will want to tinker "just because". Or
as Forrest would say 'no particular reason".

I saw some really nice cold saws with a divided jaw vise - akin to two
vises, side by side. That way, the cut off piece won't jam in the blade.

To be truthful, a small metal cutting bandsaw would do me for the 6"
stuff I'd like to cut. But a man can dream, can't he?

wrote:
What are you cutting and how much? Maybe those here can suggest a
better solution if we knew what you are cutting. A cold saw is more
than just a slow blade. The clamping must be stronger and the feed
controlled or you strip all the teeth off the blade.

starbolin

  #4   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,417
Default Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:20:52 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (500$). Not
enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.

Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the
50RPM needed?


Did you see this thread awhile back that azotic brewed up?
===
From: azotic Mar 31, 10:09 pm

Having a need for a compact metal cutting saw i decided to
have some fun building one. Foot print is 8" X 10", cutting
capacity is 3" X 6", equiped with a DC motor gives variable
speed capability for a variaty of materials. Vise is
removable and replaced with a small rotory table for angle
cuts. Total cost is about $100.00 using new surplus
components purchased on ebay. Construction time is under 8
hours.

Pix 4 shows a test cut.

Ideas, sugestions, comments welcome.

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs3.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs4.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs5.jpg

Best Regards

Tom
===
See:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...b1394b1649cd12


--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Remove no.spam for email
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 602
Default Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

The idea of a guillotine is pretty interesting...

Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:20:52 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (500$). Not
enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.

Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the
50RPM needed?


Did you see this thread awhile back that azotic brewed up?
===
From: azotic Mar 31, 10:09 pm

Having a need for a compact metal cutting saw i decided to
have some fun building one. Foot print is 8" X 10", cutting
capacity is 3" X 6", equiped with a DC motor gives variable
speed capability for a variaty of materials. Vise is
removable and replaced with a small rotory table for angle
cuts. Total cost is about $100.00 using new surplus
components purchased on ebay. Construction time is under 8
hours.

Pix 4 shows a test cut.

Ideas, sugestions, comments welcome.

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs3.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs4.jpg

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs5.jpg

Best Regards

Tom
===
See:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...b1394b1649cd12


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convert cold fill washing machine to hot and cold fill [email protected] UK diy 31 December 15th 20 12:27 AM
Washing machine install (only got a cold feed, washer has hot and cold feeds) ARWadsworth UK diy 5 April 12th 07 09:26 PM
Saw Blade Teeth - Cold Saw Cutting Thin Wall Tubing Alex Metalworking 8 May 19th 06 09:03 AM
Cold, cold questions Steve B Home Repair 8 February 8th 06 12:17 AM
Cold air blowing outta cold air return vents when blower's not running [email protected] Home Ownership 2 December 19th 05 12:33 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"