Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine install (only got a cold feed, washer has hot and cold feeds)

A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment and the slot under the
worktop for the washing machine only has a cold supply. Her existing machine
has hot and cold feeds. Adding a hot water supply is OTT as when she gets
settled down she will be able to replace her washing machine with a new cold
feed only model and one that fits the silver colour scheme she wants.

It is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 and the question is "Do I need to cap
off the hot feed on the washer before I install the machine for her?"

I am worried that water may come out of the hot feed entry point but I am
sure there must be some check valve in the machine to prevent this.

Adam

..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 18:10:21 UTC, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment and the slot under the
worktop for the washing machine only has a cold supply. Her existing machine
has hot and cold feeds. Adding a hot water supply is OTT as when she gets
settled down she will be able to replace her washing machine with a new cold
feed only model and one that fits the silver colour scheme she wants.

It is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 and the question is "Do I need to cap
off the hot feed on the washer before I install the machine for her?"

I am worried that water may come out of the hot feed entry point but I am
sure there must be some check valve in the machine to prevent this.

Whether there is or not, I wouldn't rely on it. Either cap it off, or I
have seen Y-connectors and/or Y-hoses..

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-12 19:10:21 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment and the slot under the
worktop for the washing machine only has a cold supply. Her existing
machine has hot and cold feeds. Adding a hot water supply is OTT as
when she gets settled down she will be able to replace her washing
machine with a new cold feed only model and one that fits the silver
colour scheme she wants.

It is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 and the question is "Do I need to
cap off the hot feed on the washer before I install the machine for
her?"

I am worried that water may come out of the hot feed entry point but I
am sure there must be some check valve in the machine to prevent this.

Adam

.

The solution is to obtain a Y connector and to feed cold to both
inlets. Every DIY emporium has them.

The machine will be supplied with water in all of the places and if it
isn't warm enough the heater will do the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-12 19:10:21 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
said:

[...]

Sorted.

Thanks Bob and Andy. A Y connector it is.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment and the slot under the
worktop for the washing machine only has a cold supply. Her existing
machine has hot and cold feeds. Adding a hot water supply is OTT as
when she gets settled down she will be able to replace her washing
machine with a new cold feed only model and one that fits the silver
colour scheme she wants.

It is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 and the question is "Do I need to
cap off the hot feed on the washer before I install the machine for
her?"

I am worried that water may come out of the hot feed entry point but I
am sure there must be some check valve in the machine to prevent this.

You can get a standard plastic screw-on splitter that allows both the
hot and cold hoses to be attached to a single cold water feed.
Alternatively just add another "tap-in" washing machine feed on the
existing cold line.

That's how I plumbed my machine.

At modern low temperature washes it doesn't take the machine long to
heat the water to a suitable temperature.

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 12, 7:10 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
A friend of mine is moving into a new apartment and the slot under the
worktop for the washing machine only has a cold supply. Her existing machine
has hot and cold feeds. Adding a hot water supply is OTT as when she gets
settled down she will be able to replace her washing machine with a new cold
feed only model and one that fits the silver colour scheme she wants.

It is a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 and the question is "Do I need to cap
off the hot feed on the washer before I install the machine for her?"

I am worried that water may come out of the hot feed entry point but I am
sure there must be some check valve in the machine to prevent this.

If the machine claims to have a cold-fill option, then the hot
connection should be adequately protected. If you're not sure, or
want to play safe, connect both hoses to the cold tap with a Y-piece:

http://www.sparesforhome.co.uk/displ...t.asp?id=10232

--
"If voting made any difference, they would ban it."