DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw? (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/210188-hot-cold-cutting-hack-cutoff-saw-cold-saw.html)

Louis Ohland August 8th 07 08:20 PM

Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (500$). Not
enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.

Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the
50RPM needed?

[email protected] August 8th 07 09:01 PM

Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

What are you cutting and how much? Maybe those here can suggest a
better solution if we knew what you are cutting. A cold saw is more
than just a slow blade. The clamping must be stronger and the feed
controlled or you strip all the teeth off the blade.

starbolin

Louis Ohland August 8th 07 10:14 PM

Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

First, any red blooded american will want to tinker "just because". Or
as Forrest would say 'no particular reason".

I saw some really nice cold saws with a divided jaw vise - akin to two
vises, side by side. That way, the cut off piece won't jam in the blade.

To be truthful, a small metal cutting bandsaw would do me for the 6"
stuff I'd like to cut. But a man can dream, can't he?

Leon Fisk August 9th 07 08:12 PM

Hot or cold cutting? Hack a cutoff saw to cold saw?

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 14:20:52 -0500, Louis Ohland
wrote:

I see nothing that's in my price range for a cold saw (500$). Not
enthusiastic over a chop saw with it's magic spark fountain.

Could a gearhead motor be fitted to a chop saw frame to give the
50RPM needed?

Did you see this thread awhile back that azotic brewed up?
===
From: azotic Mar 31, 10:09 pm

Having a need for a compact metal cutting saw i decided to
have some fun building one. Foot print is 8" X 10", cutting
capacity is 3" X 6", equiped with a DC motor gives variable
speed capability for a variaty of materials. Vise is
removable and replaced with a small rotory table for angle
cuts. Total cost is about $100.00 using new surplus
components purchased on ebay. Construction time is under 8
hours.

Pix 4 shows a test cut.

Ideas, sugestions, comments welcome.

http://members.cox.net/azotic/cs1.jpg