Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Default Saw Blade Teeth - Cold Saw Cutting Thin Wall Tubing

Hello -

We'll be cutting thin wall (16G, .062") 304 stainless steel tubing - 1"
x 2" down to 5/8" square. We've got a new Kaltenbach KKS 400E. With
the stock blades (16"), the saw cuts at +/- 50 surface feet per minute.
We'll be atomizing our coolant. Our primary objective is to minimize
or eliminate burr.

Does anybody have experience with this? We're looking for advice on
what sort of saw blade to go with? We're mostly concerned with
number-of-teeth but would also like some feedback on grind (notch,
triple-chip, etc.) and kerf (thin or wide).

Thank you in advance for your help.

A.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

Alex wrote:
Hello -

We'll be cutting thin wall (16G, .062") 304 stainless steel tubing - 1"
x 2" down to 5/8" square. We've got a new Kaltenbach KKS 400E. With
the stock blades (16"), the saw cuts at +/- 50 surface feet per minute.
We'll be atomizing our coolant. Our primary objective is to minimize
or eliminate burr.

Does anybody have experience with this? We're looking for advice on
what sort of saw blade to go with? We're mostly concerned with
number-of-teeth but would also like some feedback on grind (notch,
triple-chip, etc.) and kerf (thin or wide).

Thank you in advance for your help.

A.

I dont' know a lot about these things, but when I was digging into it
the advice I received was to try to have two teeth(minimum) engaged at
all times. If you get less than than, it is possible to "snag" the
material instead of cut it.

I cut a fair amount of similar material to you and have been using a
10" 220 tooth blade. It cuts very clean with no burr(generally).
Occasionally I will get a little edge on the bottom if the off cut
isnt' supported and falls out of the way. Quick swipe with a file will
usually take care of that.

I dont' know grind I have, other than what I think is called a
skip-tooth. I don't know off hand, but I think the blade thickness is
around 0.062"

I have an 80 tooth blade for solids that works quite well too.

I have worked with Tom Grasso in Michigan(Ann Arbor I think). He has a
regrind shop and knows a lot about these things. He was very helpful.
contact him at tgrasso at gbind dot com

JW

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton

Alex wrote:
Hello -

We'll be cutting thin wall (16G, .062") 304 stainless steel tubing - 1"
x 2" down to 5/8" square. We've got a new Kaltenbach KKS 400E. With
the stock blades (16"), the saw cuts at +/- 50 surface feet per minute.
We'll be atomizing our coolant. Our primary objective is to minimize
or eliminate burr.

How do you get 5/8" square out of 1x2 16 GA tube?

We cut 16ga. steel, _not stainless_ all day with about 300 tooth blades,
16 inch Diam, about 3/32" thick, triple chip, flood coolant. Your
sharpener should be able to help you design a best fit blade and cut it
to your spec. Our guy starts with blank blades.

If you are not cutting miters, use angled jaws in the saw vice so the
blade doesn't have to chew through a flat surface at the start and
finish of the cut. It will last longer and cut with a smaller burr at a
corner rather than a burr along one whole side.

Stuart
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On Tue, 16 May 2006 18:03:46 -0400, Stuart Wheaton wrote:

Alex wrote:
Hello -

We'll be cutting thin wall (16G, .062") 304 stainless steel tubing - 1"
x 2" down to 5/8" square. We've got a new Kaltenbach KKS 400E. With
the stock blades (16"), the saw cuts at +/- 50 surface feet per minute.
We'll be atomizing our coolant. Our primary objective is to minimize
or eliminate burr.

How do you get 5/8" square out of 1x2 16 GA tube?

I was just wondering about that too ....
--
Cliff
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On 16 May 2006 06:44:50 -0700, "Alex" wrote:

Hello -

We'll be cutting thin wall (16G, .062") 304 stainless steel tubing - 1"
x 2" down to 5/8" square. We've got a new Kaltenbach KKS 400E. With
the stock blades (16"), the saw cuts at +/- 50 surface feet per minute.
We'll be atomizing our coolant.

Do you actually need any? Would "atomizing" (whatever that is)
it do any good if you did?
Getting the chips, if any, out of the gulets .....

Our primary objective is to minimize
or eliminate burr.

The burr where, exactly?

Does anybody have experience with this?

I've personally cut tens of thousands of bits of Aluminum
tube ... (very low tolerance on length or much else).
Built a crude wooden guide & let the tubes rotate as
they were being cut .... any burr ended up on the inside ...
which was fine for the application.
Considered automating a tubing cutter too but ..
--
Cliff

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
alphonso

Alex wrote:
Hello -

We'll be cutting thin wall (16G, .062") 304 stainless steel tubing -
1" x 2" down to 5/8" square. We've got a new Kaltenbach KKS 400E.
With the stock blades (16"), the saw cuts at +/- 50 surface feet per
minute.
We'll be atomizing our coolant. Our primary objective is to
minimize
or eliminate burr.

How do you get 5/8" square out of 1x2 16 GA tube?

I was just wondering about that too ....

I believe what the OP meant was that he will be cutting a varity of sizes
of material rangeing from 1 x 2 to 5/8 square.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Alex

Thanks to everyone for the advice.... Alphonso is right - we will be
cutting a varity of sizes, ranging from 1" x 2" to 5/8" square.

A.

Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
D Murphy

Cliff wrote in news:2eok62pghvlmvv0bv9arpi6togghp7q53v@
4ax.com:

I've personally cut tens of thousands of bits of Aluminum
tube ... (very low tolerance on length or much else).

Then the bottom fell out of the bong market...

--

Dan

Quid Aere Perennius
Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Cliff

On 19 May 2006 03:39:44 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Cliff wrote in news:2eok62pghvlmvv0bv9arpi6togghp7q53v@
4ax.com:

I've personally cut tens of thousands of bits of Aluminum
tube ... (very low tolerance on length or much else).

Then the bottom fell out of the bong market...

Part of the drip-pan drain system for farm tractor AC units IIRC.
--
Cliff