Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tom.harrigan@gmail.com is offline

Default Its so cold that...

On 6 Jan, 08:23, Stuart Noble wrote:
wrote:
On 5 Jan, 22:22, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 12:39:15 -0800, tom.harrigan wrote:
On 5 Jan, 19:21, Jules
wrote:
On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:00:01 +0000, mogga wrote:
How cold?
http://www.skipweasel.pwp.blueyonder...bubbles/album/
Cold enough to freeze bubbles?
I keep meaning to try that, but it's cold enough out that I can never
quite motivate myself! :-) *
I wasn't expecting any sympathy, but I have basically been freezing
cold while engaged in renovating my house by myself for the last few
weeks.
Ahh... as I mentioned in another post, I'm living in Minnesota these days
(I just like asking questions here still as there are so many clueful
folk). In Celcius terms, it's a hot day when it gets as high as -10, and
it's hit -40 on a few occasions this winter. Going outside just to bugger
about with soap bubbles generally isn't a fun thing to do ;-) (summers are
warmer than England genrally, but the winters are pretty harsh)

The following week I get my wood burning Rayburn
installed! The bliss of a hot cup of tea awaits.
Burning wood for house heat's pretty common around here - and
a wood stove kicks out an *insane* amount of heat. I'm not
sure I've heard of anyone here combining one with a cooker, though. Have
fun :-)

cheers

Jules

Looks like we are in for a seriously cold night tonight - about the
same as a balmy Minnesota day. I reckon I will get about -12C which is
by far the coldest temperature I have experienced while living in
north Oxfordshire.

My house is about 350years old and I'm doing a rather extensive
renovation which is going very slowly at the moment. I'm still doing
wet work - lime pointing and rendering and it's seriously chilly!

The wood cooker is pretty unusual here too. I've not met anyone who's
got one. Seems like it might be just the thing for a Minnesota winter!

To get a sense of perspective, The Met Office Oxford weather station
data goes back to 1853, when winters were cold. 1963 wasn't much fun either

I know it's cold, but I hadn't realised you had to go back that far to
find a comparable cold snap!

I live in a spot which has it's own extra-cold microclimate. When I go
down the hill into Warwickshire, it's noticeably warmer! Don't get me
wrong, I'm not complaining. Anything is better than the rains we had
the last two summers!