Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Its so cold that...

Andy Champ wrote:
Bruce wrote:

1981-82 came close .. or was it 1982-83?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...ata/index.html

Thanks Andy!

It was 1981-82, because according to the first page you linked to,
10 January 1982 was the date of the all-time record lowest daily
temperatures in both England and Scotland.

Newport (Shropshire) -26.1C
Braemar (Highland) -27.2C

At that time, I was working on a construction project in Lancashire. It
was so cold that the sea froze, with sheets of ice forming on beaches as
the tide went out, and ice sheets floated in the local harbour for
several days.

There was a maximum/minimum thermometer on site. Overnight, it recorded
a minimum of -18C with a maximum the following day of -8.5C.

I remember 1963. The cold snap lasted longer than the one in 1982, but
obviously it wasn't as cold.

Thanks again for the links.