Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Its so cold that...

Bruce wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:
On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:58:55 +0000 Invisible Man wrote :
1963 we had snow on the ground for a long time in East London/Essex
border. Only vehicle down our close for a couple of days was the
milk float which was fitted with chains.

In Twickenham we had snow on the ground for about six weeks. I was at
an 1841-built primary school with frozen-up outdoor toilets, so
school hours were reduced from 9-12 then rush home! Before then (and
before my time) 1947-8, just 15 years earlier, was even worse AIUI,
but in the last 45 years we have had nothing comparable.

1981-82 came close .. or was it 1982-83?

Coldest winters since 1914 (avg min temps)
1963 -0.2
1947 0.9
1979 1.2
1940 1.3
1917 1.4
1929 1.5
1941 1.8
1951 2.0
1942 2.1
1982 2.1

Quite interesting juggling the Met Office figures in Excel