Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My microwave has power,light and rotates but doesn't heat! Is it awrite-off?

As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

First thing to check is the plug. Make sure all connections in the plug are
made off correctly and are tight. If it's a moulded plug, check the flex
for damage from the plug to the casing of the oven. If the cable is
damaged, get someone to replace it for you. Remember that engineers have to
be licensed to work on microwave cooking appliances.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BigWallop wrote:
wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

First thing to check is the plug. Make sure all connections in the plug are
made off correctly and are tight. If it's a moulded plug, check the flex
for damage from the plug to the casing of the oven. If the cable is
damaged, get someone to replace it for you. Remember that engineers have to
be licensed to work on microwave cooking appliances.

If its under warranty, get it fixed. If it sn;t, by all means take it
apart and look for something obvious, but my guess is that to fox
something like that - its likely a blown microwave ptube, or power
supply, will mena a long wait for parts not available, and a lot of labour.

Ditch it and buy a 50 quid one.

Mines been going for years...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:54:40 UTC, "BigWallop"
wrote:

wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

First thing to check is the plug. Make sure all connections in the plug are
made off correctly and are tight. If it's a moulded plug, check the flex
for damage from the plug to the casing of the oven. If the cable is
damaged, get someone to replace it for you. Remember that engineers have to
be licensed to work on microwave cooking appliances.

Ummm.did you read the subject line?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

First thing to check is the plug. Make sure all connections in the plug are
made off correctly and are tight. If it's a moulded plug, check the flex
for damage from the plug to the casing of the oven. If the cable is
damaged, get someone to replace it for you. Remember that engineers have to
be licensed to work on microwave cooking appliances.

Ummm.did you read the subject line?

must be a multi way plug :-) as its only the heating not working

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

Unless it's still under warranty I would suggest that it's 'beyond
economical repair', with labour you'll end up paying more a
replacement will cost, the fact that most of the functions work
suggest that the megatron has expired - just wondering if someone has
tried heating foil rapped mince pies... :~o
--
Regards, Jerry.
Location - United Kingdom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

Yes they are repairable but you need to know what you are doing, to be
able get parts at trade prices and diy; otherwise with with new
microwave ovens on the market from £25 upwards, repair does not make
economic sense.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

What is model number.
Does it have the words Inverter System on the front?
tip: make sure any replacement you buy doesn't!
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , BigWallop
writes

wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

First thing to check is the plug. Make sure all connections in the plug are
made off correctly and are tight. If it's a moulded plug, check the flex
for damage from the plug to the casing of the oven. If the cable is
damaged, get someone to replace it for you. Remember that engineers have to
be licensed to work on microwave cooking appliances.

Only if it's gas powered ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:
wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

Unless it's still under warranty I would suggest that it's 'beyond
economical repair', with labour you'll end up paying more a
replacement will cost, the fact that most of the functions work
suggest that the megatron has expired - just wondering if someone has
tried heating foil rapped mince pies... :~o

I think you have been watch too much sci-fi

"the megatron has expired"

pmsl!

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

Unless it's still under warranty I would suggest that it's 'beyond
economical repair', with labour you'll end up paying more a
replacement will cost, the fact that most of the functions work
suggest that the megatron has expired - just wondering if someone has
tried heating foil rapped mince pies... :~o

I think you have been watch too much sci-fi

"the megatron has expired"

pmsl!

Fairly obvious he meant magnetron isn't it?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a

replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at

changing it.
Any suggestions?

First, beware of asking electronics questions on ukdiy, this is not a
group filled with electronics people, and the above answers are the
result.

Microwave failing to heat is usually any of the magnetron,
transformer, HV rectifier, control board or interlock problems.
They're perfectly fixable in many cases, but it doesnt sound like you
know how.

You need to read this first:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....repair_hazards

Finally, the one failure thats common and cheap & easy to repair is
the rectifier, so if you can deal with the safety stuff but dont have
the other skills, replacing that is a reasonably good option.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave

has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a

replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at

changing it.
Any suggestions?

First, beware of asking electronics questions on ukdiy, this is not a
group filled with electronics people, and the above answers are the
result.

I hope you weren't including me in that old boy.
A two year old Panasonic is likely to have an IGBT inverter.
I thought it wise to eliminate this possibility before giving advice
on the conventional 3 component "voltage doubler" PSU circuit
viz. transformer rectifier and capacitor.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Minchin
saying something like:

Yes they are repairable but you need to know what you are doing, to be
able get parts at trade prices and diy; otherwise with with new
microwave ovens on the market from £25 upwards, repair does not make
economic sense.

It does if it's a decent make, because the cheap ones are utter **** and
I'll not buy another one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Any suggestions?

sci.electronics.repair and have a root around for the faq with a lot of
instructions on howtos for various domestic appliances, including
m/waves.
In fact, here y'go.
http://www.repairfaq.org/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
wrote in message

As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

Unless it's still under warranty I would suggest that it's 'beyond
economical repair', with labour you'll end up paying more a
replacement will cost, the fact that most of the functions work
suggest that the megatron has expired - just wondering if someone has
tried heating foil rapped mince pies... :~o

I think you have been watch too much sci-fi

"the megatron has expired"

pmsl!

Fairly obvious he meant magnetron isn't it?

Andy

Yes Andy, I did manage to interpret what he meant but what credibility
does a reply have when the name of a basic component is wrong?
Having repaired many microwaves in my time, I have never had to change a
magnetron. Faults tend to be controller/timers, power supply diodes and
capacitors, door interlocks and the odd fuse or two.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Andy Champ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

More credibility than the person who picked up on a simple/silly
spelling mistake, could it be that the spelling was got wrong because
the person making the mistake can't always work out the correct
spelling (even with the aid of a spell checker [1]) because of
dyslexia - of course 'Mr Perfects' like you are to far up your own
arses to grasp the concept that not everyone is as perfect as you
are...

[1] there really is a need for a context driven spell checker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

A microwave oven should last more than 2 years. Irrespective of the
guarantee period tell the retailer (not manufacturer) that under the
various sale of goods legislation you want it fixed or a 60 percent refund.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Invisible Man
writes
Bob Minchin wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

googling for "Sale of goods act" or SOGA might help

or martins moneysaving tips forum

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Andy Champ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

interesting.

so they vacuum seals don't go on them?

sounds like a PSU issue then. Just as nasty.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Jerry wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Gosh, I've got a big stack of ring magnets in the garage, each pair
represents
a US magnetron. As you say, HV rectifiers were much more common,
but I found S/C HV capacitors much less common than magnetrons.

We did a lot of Sharp models on behalf of a big insurance company.
The usual complaint was the LCD display missing segments. It was
due I think to the way the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the
PCB was bonded, so it was unrepeatable and IIRC most of the
PCBs were 49 pounds from Sharp.

Compared to what was our core business (TV & audio) microwave
repair was dead easy.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly curmudgeon re nukes:

the cheap ones are utter **** and
I'll not buy another one.

Whats wrong with them? I've not had one

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave

has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a

replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at

changing it.
Any suggestions?

First, beware of asking electronics questions on ukdiy, this is not a
group filled with electronics people, and the above answers are the
result.

I hope you weren't including me in that old boy.

No Its the s/n ratio thats the problem, how is someone that knows
nowt about repairing a nuke going to tell good answer from bad?

A two year old Panasonic is likely to have an IGBT inverter.
I thought it wise to eliminate this possibility before giving advice
on the conventional 3 component "voltage doubler" PSU circuit
viz. transformer rectifier and capacitor.

fair point - I never did any of those

FWIW I can add a 'hear hear' to the fact that magnetrons do die
sometimes, though not so often. and it turns out their supply
requirements aren't critical.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graham.
writes
agnetrons.

We did a lot of Sharp models on behalf of a big insurance company.
The usual complaint was the LCD display missing segments. It was
due I think to the way the ribbon cable connecting the LCD to the
PCB was bonded, so it was unrepeatable and IIRC most of the
PCBs were 49 pounds from Sharp.

Compared to what was our core business (TV & audio) microwave
repair was dead easy.

What a timely thread - my mum has just phoned up to say that the light
has gone in her microwave. Not being into white goods repair, I need a
few pointers

All I can get out of her is that it's a Daewoo 3D Power 1000 (which may
or may 100% right)

So, I need to buy a lightity bulb that I can take up with me next time I
go

can anyone give me a part number and can I get one from e.g. CPC where I
usually buy such things from ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 19:17:09 +0000, geoff wrote:

[...]

There's a link on this page that may or may not be of help.

http://www.4daewoo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sea...&search.y =11
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Old Git
writes
[...]

http://www.4daewoo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sea...1000&search.x=
27&search.y=11

Thanks - but it doesn't - I did have doubts about the description

I'll have to send my brother around to try and get a proper model number

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

If the earth bond is not connected properly, the microwave side of the
appliance may not work properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote in message

As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave
has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a
replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at
changing it.
Any suggestions?

First thing to check is the plug. Make sure all connections in the plug

are
made off correctly and are tight. If it's a moulded plug, check the

flex
for damage from the plug to the casing of the oven. If the cable is
damaged, get someone to replace it for you. Remember that engineers

have to
be licensed to work on microwave cooking appliances.

Ummm.did you read the subject line?

Ummmmmm. Yes.

So, why ask if the plug/flex was damaged, if power is clearly getting to
the appliance? That's all...

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Old Git
writes
[...]

Having finally managed to get the right model number out of her - yes -
just the job

£9.25 ++

I'll check out CPCs price tomorrow

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Old Git
writes
[...]

With the great majority of nukes, the make and model has nada to do
with the light bulb. Most are a standard 240v 25w microwave-base pygmy
bulb that costs a few quid from any decent lightbulb supplier.

Sharp brand nukes are often 110v with a custom base. Replacing the
bulbholder is the quickest option.

NT