Posted to rec.woodworking
BT98

Default BIRD FEEDER THAT ROTATES

Wonder if anyone has built or seen any plans for a bird feeder that
mounts on a post and operates as a weather vane to keep the feeding
area down wind and protected from the rain and snow? Looking for idea
that is easy to add food and access.
Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On 20 May 2006 15:54:58 -0700, "BT98" wrote:

Wonder if anyone has built or seen any plans for a bird feeder that
mounts on a post and operates as a weather vane

Perhaps you'll be the first. Mine just sits there and feeds in all
directions. The birds don't mind the little exercise needed to get to
their food if necessary due to packed snow. At least, they haven't
said they mind. I did put glass on two sides of the fill-box to see
the level easily from the house. It's on a 1.5" steel pole, and has a
bit of steel chimney underneath to stop the squirrels. I'm
redesigning a little to stop the damned pigeons that appeared this
year. Or I might go the other way and fatten them up.

We're in the wide open countryside with strong prevailing westerlies.
Lots of snow and damned cold at times. Any that gets onto the ground
is also taken care of by ground feeders. They're better fed than I
am, and that's what it's about. The feeder's not pretty, but it's
functional.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill D

Hi Bill, Interesting idea. However, I can't help thinking that if the
feeder were too move with each gust of wind, it would be inclined to chase
the birds away. If you were to proceed, old wheel bearings/housings are a
useful way to make a swivel arrangement.
Cheers, BillD