Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default My microwave has power,light and rotates but doesn't heat! Is ita write-off?

Graham. wrote:
wrote in message
As it says above basically, my 2 yr old panasonic digital microwave

has given up it's primary function of heating food.
Is it worth repairing, it only cost 70 quid and can possibly get a

replacement for cheaper these days.
If I thought it was a simple fuse or something I'd have ago at

changing it.
Any suggestions?

First, beware of asking electronics questions on ukdiy, this is not a
group filled with electronics people, and the above answers are the
result.

I hope you weren't including me in that old boy.

No Its the s/n ratio thats the problem, how is someone that knows
nowt about repairing a nuke going to tell good answer from bad?

A two year old Panasonic is likely to have an IGBT inverter.
I thought it wise to eliminate this possibility before giving advice
on the conventional 3 component "voltage doubler" PSU circuit
viz. transformer rectifier and capacitor.

fair point - I never did any of those

FWIW I can add a 'hear hear' to the fact that magnetrons do die
sometimes, though not so often. and it turns out their supply
requirements aren't critical.

NT