Mick

Default Condensing Tumble Driers

Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?
Regards

dave @ stejonda

In message , Mick
writes
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?

Only you can decide that.

We have a condensing t-d. A Zanussi. It's been no trouble in the n years
( 5) that we've had it but they're less efficient and so cost more to
run than the vented type and they're more complex so there's more to go
wrong, but we had no choice. T-D's are hardly difficult to obtain, if
your existing one has been enough so far I'd wait until it packed up and
then replace it with another vented.

--
dave @ stejonda
Thee_Psycho

I can only tell you what we have found from the previous owner of our house.
We live in a 2 bed mid terrace, only 10 years old, prettty well insulated.
It was occupied by a family of four, in the small kitchen there was a
washing machine one and and a condesing dryer the other. When we came oto
view the house it felt damp, despite it being a dry week all the windows
were open etc, but the air in the house was damp. Upstairs under the eves,
by the window there was mildew, only house on the estate with it, and there
are similar sized families living in them the only thing we can putit down
to is the dryer. Since we moved in and have not got a tumble dryer the house
has been fresher and dryer. We removed the mildew and to date not a sigle
sign of it returning.

I am afraid I do not know the model, but i know it was a candy machine.

HTH

Rach
"Mick" wrote in message
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?
Regards

Suz

Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?
Regards

We have one and I love it. It wasn't cheap, as when we looked at the
features we started adding things to our list of requirements! The features
that I think are important a
1. Sensor that knows when enough moisture has been drawn out and stops
2. Reverse action drum. Goes one way and then the other, so clothes don't
get twisted.
3. Turns drum over once every five minutes once cycle is over, so clothes
don't crease.
All these features because I don't "believe" in ironing. These features
ensure smooth clothes.

We chose condensor as it was an extra put in the corner of our bedroom
(really need to extend!), and we didn't want to plumb or vent. It can be
plumbed to empty the water, but we just empty the tank every 3 loads or so.
An added unexpected bonus - it puts the baby to sleep in seconds (and mummy)
and adds a nice wee warm fug to the room :-) I like having it in our
bedroom as clothes get put on hangers and straight into the wardrobe and
there is no laundry hanging about waiting to be taken upstairs. Also I
haven't ironed in 3 months. I now only buy tumble dryable clothes and as
for old stuff, well, if it doesn't survive it goes in the bin!

When we renovate I intend moving both washing machine and tumble dryer
upstairs permanently. It makes no sense to have dirty laundry upstairs,
take it down to wash and dry, and then cart back up again. Things end up
dangling on radiators sitting in piles etc. Why are they traditionally in
kitchens or utility rooms downstairs? Very illogical. I intend to
streamline the whole process: into basket, into machine, into dryer, on
hanger, into wardrobe. Downstairs will be laundry free! No ironing, no
piles.
I would recommend an expensive model if you don't intend to iron, and a
cheaper one if you do. The more sensitive dearer models leave just a tiny
bit of moisture behind so clothes do not wrinkle.

It adds £200 a year to our electicity bill. No ironing? Family of five?
Well worth every penny! I HATE ironing.

S Viemeister

Suz wrote:

When we renovate I intend moving both washing machine and tumble dryer
upstairs permanently. It makes no sense to have dirty laundry upstairs,
take it down to wash and dry, and then cart back up again. Things end up
dangling on radiators sitting in piles etc. Why are they traditionally in
kitchens or utility rooms downstairs? Very illogical. I intend to
streamline the whole process: into basket, into machine, into dryer, on
hanger, into wardrobe. Downstairs will be laundry free! No ironing, no
piles.

That's how my son's house is arranged. The washer and dryer are behind
folding doors in the upstairs hall, near the main bedroom, and right next
to the linen cupboard.
Very sensible arrangement.

Sheila

IMM

"Suz" wrote in message

When we renovate I intend moving both washing machine and tumble dryer
upstairs permanently. It makes no sense to have dirty laundry upstairs,
take it down to wash and dry, and then cart back up again. Things end up
dangling on radiators sitting in piles etc. Why are they traditionally in
kitchens or utility rooms downstairs? Very illogical.

The Scandinavians think the same way. They have the laundry in the
bathroom, or in a separate room upstairs.

---

IMM

"Mick" wrote in message
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?

NO!!! Cheap condensing dryers are a waste of space. Get a Bosch, and no
less.

---

IMM

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Mick
writes
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its

life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?

Only you can decide that.

We have a condensing t-d. A Zanussi. It's been no trouble in the n years
( 5) that we've had it but they're less efficient and so cost more to
run than the vented type

The heat is pumped into the house, so aids your heating in winter. Not as
expensive as you think.

---

Richard Faulkner

In article , Suz
writes
It adds £200 a year to our electicity bill. No ironing? Family of five?
Well worth every penny! I HATE ironing.

Is this really true - no ironing? mens shirts, T shirts??

I spen about £10 - £15 a week on having stuff ironed, (and it's worth
evry penny g), travelling to and from the shop twice aswell.

If I could be sure a tumble dryer could do what you say, I would have
one!!

What make and model? How much £? Can you get a washer dryer with these
features?

This could be a dream come true - a bit like a dishwasher g

--
Richard Faulkner
Tim Morley

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mick" wrote in message
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its

life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?

NO!!! Cheap condensing dryers are a waste of space. Get a Bosch, and no
less.

I Have the bosch classixx condensor - EXCELLENT!

Christian McArdle

When we renovate I intend moving both washing machine and tumble dryer
upstairs permanently.

One reason they are often installed downstairs is that they frequently leak,
which would bring down the ceiling. If you intend to put a washer in
upstairs, make some sort of arrangement to collect any leaked water before
it damages anything. Some sort of wet floor or collection tray arrangement
plumbed to an overflow through the wall would be good.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

NO!!! Cheap condensing dryers are a waste of space. Get a Bosch, and no
less.

Just bought a Bosch 6920 integrated condensor. It's got more buttons and
lights than a 1960's Star Trek episode. Of course, all you need to do to
actually use it is load up and press "Start", but all the options could be
found rather intimidating.

Christian.

N. Thornton

"Mick" wrote in message
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?

Condensing driers are much more energy efficient. Instead of blowing
hot air outside they reuse it round and round, just extracting the
water content. They dont blow heat out at all.

However, a fast spin washer is more sensible in most cases. With 1300
or 1400 spin you dont need a tumble.

Regards, NT
Christian McArdle

However, a fast spin washer is more sensible in most cases.

That I agree with. Just bought a 1600 spin washing machine that should cut
down on energy bills quite considerably.

With 1300 or 1400 spin you dont need a tumble.

That I don't. Are you seriously suggesting that you can wear clothes
straight out of a 1400 spin washing machine? You couldn't even put them away
without them rotting.

Christian.

S Viemeister

Christian McArdle wrote:

If you intend to put a washer in
upstairs, make some sort of arrangement to collect any leaked water before
it damages anything. Some sort of wet floor or collection tray arrangement
plumbed to an overflow through the wall would be good.

That's exactly the arrangement my son's washer has.

I wonder why I've never seen something similar for the tanks/cisterns in
lofts?

Neil Jones

"IMM" wrote in message ...

NO!!! Cheap condensing dryers are a waste of space. Get a Bosch, and no
less.

Eh? Surely you mean:
"NO!!!- buy two cheap dryers instead. Dry washing twice as quickly as
with one expensive one. Then when the first one breaks you have no
downtime."
IMM

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
m...
"IMM" wrote in message

NO!!! Cheap condensing dryers are a waste of space. Get a Bosch, and

no
less.

Eh? Surely you mean:
"NO!!!- buy two cheap dryers instead. Dry washing twice as quickly as
with one expensive one. Then when the first one breaks you have no
downtime."

No! I mean "Cheap condensing dryers are a waste of space. Get a Bosch, and
no less." It to do what it is supposed to do. That is dispense the
moisture in the tray. Cheap ones do not. Got it?

---

Suz

"Richard Faulkner" wrote in message
In article , Suz
writes
It adds £200 a year to our electicity bill. No ironing? Family of five?
Well worth every penny! I HATE ironing.

Is this really true - no ironing? mens shirts, T shirts??

I spen about £10 - £15 a week on having stuff ironed, (and it's worth
evry penny g), travelling to and from the shop twice aswell.

If I could be sure a tumble dryer could do what you say, I would have
one!!

What make and model? How much £? Can you get a washer dryer with these
features?

Yes it works for me, really and truly.

The first thing that made me consider dumping ironing was when I discovered
my MIL never ironed. She had five kids and always looks pristine. She
removed a wash immediately and tugged the clothes straight immediately and
put them on a radiator. She then hung them when they were 95% dry. I was
entirely amazed -they are all neat and flat.

The trick is to take the wash out immediately and tumble it. Again hang as
soon as the tumble dryer stops for best results. At this point they have
tiny creases and look like they need a wee iron, but don't shove into the
wardrobe immediately, but give them five mintes in the air 1st. When you
take them out of the wardrobe you can't tell them apart from from ironed
stuff. I started this out of necessity as I was so busy with 3 wee kids.
Now it just seems daft to iron at all.

You can't get a crease down the arm of a shirt/ trousers if you are that
kind of stuffy person tho. And Marks and Sparks Italian shirts come out
crumpled. Hubby has 2. I shoved them in the wardrobe and refused to iron
them. He ignores them and thay have been left there. Low iron or no iron
shirts work best. Avoid any clothes that need ironed at two dots or 3 dots
on the iron symbol, or one that needs ironed while damp. Some of these do
come out OK, but most are unlikely too.
The same goes for things that are non-tumble dryable. Although its the 1st
thing I look at when buying, we do have some. I toss them all in, saves
time not having to sort into can and can't tumble piles, and if they die,
they die. They didn't deserve to live if they want ironed. I'm heartless
like that... So far no casualties tho.

Another thing is the fabric conditioner. You need to use it. I only use
Comfort. I have used standard, Easy-iron and the new Quick dry and there is
a difference. From an ironing point of view, Easy Iron has the best
results. But the clothes feel a tiny bit slimy coming out of the wash and
sometimes they need 2 goes of the tumble dryer - they are slow to dry.
Quick Dry does indeed dry quickern (a lot quicker) which saves on
electricity, but you get a slightly less flat appearance. Still acceptable
for most clothes though. Ordinary comfort is in between. You definitely
need some fabric conditioner though, so if you are allergic this is not for
you.

Our tumble is a Hotpoint TDC60 and it cost £329, after shopping around on
the internet. Can't remember which one we got from in the end, maybe
appliancedirect?

A washer dryer will consume more electricty as it has to dry itself. Not
good for a busy family - A wash and dry cycle takes about 2 hours. At 3
washes a day for us, it just wouldn't work. For a bloke on his own it would
be great. Stick it on the morning and it's all down when you come home.
The "keep turning after drying complete" option would be vital in this case
to avoid ironing.

Must go. Tumble dryer just finished it's cycle. )

hth
Suzanne

Suz

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"Mick" wrote in message
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its

life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them

both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?

Condensing driers are much more energy efficient. Instead of blowing
hot air outside they reuse it round and round, just extracting the
water content. They dont blow heat out at all.

However, a fast spin washer is more sensible in most cases. With 1300
or 1400 spin you dont need a tumble.

I disagree. I think a fast spin mashes creases in. Fine if you love
ironing.
I HATE ironing.

Richard Faulkner

In article , Suz
writes
Our tumble is a Hotpoint TDC60 and it cost £329, after shopping around on
the internet. Can't remember which one we got from in the end, maybe
appliancedirect?

A washer dryer will consume more electricty as it has to dry itself. Not
good for a busy family - A wash and dry cycle takes about 2 hours. At 3
washes a day for us, it just wouldn't work. For a bloke on his own it would
be great. Stick it on the morning and it's all down when you come home.
The "keep turning after drying complete" option would be vital in this case
to avoid ironing.

Sounds like the business - I'm off to have a look!

--
Richard Faulkner

IMM

"Suz" wrote in message

[...]

Does this tumble and use Comfort only work on condensing dryers?

---

Suz

A washer dryer will consume more electricty as it has to dry itself.
Not
good for a busy family - A wash and dry cycle takes about 2 hours. At 3
washes a day for us, it just wouldn't work. For a bloke on his own it

would
be great. Stick it on the morning and it's all down when you come home.
The "keep turning after drying complete" option would be vital in this

case
to avoid ironing.

Must go. Tumble dryer just finished it's cycle. )

Does this tumble and use Comfort only work on condensing dryers?

No IMM I'm sure it would be exactly the same on a bog standard one. The
only reason we got one is its location - shoved in the corner of the room as
a temporary measure (but I reckon it'll be permenant). We could be bothered
putting in a drain or vent.

But again the extra features like moisture sensor to stop, and keep turning
after cycle complete would be necessary for best results if you wish to
avoid ironing. The extra cost would be recouped easily if you compared it to
a years electricity consumption of an iron or the cost of an ironing
service. My mother's is the cheapest, timer only job. It absolutely toasts
the clothes and although they come out really dry they look a bit crumply.
I thought ours wasn't very efficient at first, but now I realise that tiny
bit of moisture left allows the last wrinkles to drop when clothes are
removed from dryer.

The lulling sound of the dryer is an great unexpected bonus. I'm sitting on
the bed with the laptop now, and hubby is snoozing off one of his migraines
and baby is SNORING in his cot. The soft sound is very relaxing. Reminds
me of a kid in the farmhouse when all was quiet and the kettle was singing
on the Rayburn Royal. My point being: I think the bedroom is a brilliant
location for a dryer.

hth
Suzanne

Niel A. Farrow

In article , Mick wrote:
Has anybody any major opinions on these good or Bad ?.
I currently have a vented tumble drier that is nearing the end of its life
(but still usable)...I would like to get another drier and run them both
until the orig one packs up (lots of kids and lots of washing !!!)
I do not want to hammer another hole in the garage wall (double brick)
So a Condensing Tumble drier seems ideal for the moment.
I am thinking a fairly cheap one (£189 ish at comet/Miller Bros).
Do you think this is a good idea ?
Regards

Could get a large gas dryer. We bought one second hand for £70 (loot.com).
Get a handyman with a hole cutter to make hole or rent one. Get plumber to
connect gas, or you do it and get a plumber to check it out. Should come
to around the £200 mark and it's way cheaper than electricity.
Neil

Richard Faulkner

In article , Suz
writes
But again the extra features like moisture sensor to stop, and keep turning
after cycle complete would be necessary for best results if you wish to
avoid ironing. The extra cost would be recouped easily if you compared it to
a years electricity consumption of an iron or the cost of an ironing
service.

Suzanne,

I'm getting into this now, and am wondering if you researched washer
dryers with these functions? If it truly works, I can add in around £400
per year in ironing service costs, on top of the cost of a normal washer
dryer of about £325.

I've been to the usual suspects, Comet, Currys, Powerhouse (New), and
cant find one, or cant find anything which suggests it has the sensor
and keep turning facility.

I wonder if they dont make them yet?

Regds

--
Richard Faulkner
N. Thornton

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message et...

Are you seriously suggesting that you can wear clothes
straight out of a 1400 spin washing machine?

Well, lemme think. Nope, I dont remember suggesting that. One only
need leave stuff out overnight and put it away in the morning. With
ironing even less drying time is needed.

Regards, NT

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Suz" wrote:

When we renovate I intend moving both washing machine and tumble dryer
upstairs permanently. It makes no sense to have dirty laundry upstairs,
take it down to wash and dry, and then cart back up again. Things end up
dangling on radiators sitting in piles etc. Why are they traditionally in
kitchens or utility rooms downstairs? Very illogical. I intend to
streamline the whole process: into basket, into machine, into dryer, on
hanger, into wardrobe. Downstairs will be laundry free! No ironing, no
piles.

[...]

It adds £200 a year to our electicity bill. No ironing? Family of five?
Well worth every penny! I HATE ironing.

Something to do with the fact that WASHING LINES (yes, they do exist)
tend to be outdoors so if you do happen to want to save the money (and
all that electricity) you have to lug the clothes downstairs at some
point in order to take them outside to dry, and (I'd contend) it is much
easier to do this while they are dry - before washing - than wet.

Also, it is possible to minimise ironing by hanging clothes on the line
correctly and while they are still damp enough to have enough weight to
pull out the creases left by the washing process. Doesn't eliminate it,
of course, and isn't perfect for those who desire perfection. This is
why my wife does the ironing :-) I much perfer the "feel" of wind-dried
clothes, and there aren't really *that* many (consecutive) days when
drying outside is completely impossible, even in the uk, though it does
help if there's someone at home during the day in order to take
advantage of dry spells.

On a slightly different tangent, if you can afford the extra outlay and
have the facilities I'm told a gas tumble dryer is a *lot* less
expensive to run.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/
IMM

[...]

I think Suz means that a keep turning facility is that the drum turns for
about 10 mins after the heater element goes off. Auto detect if dry is
common.

---

S Viemeister

Martin Angove wrote:

Something to do with the fact that WASHING LINES (yes, they do exist)
tend to be outdoors so if you do happen to want to save the money (and
all that electricity) you have to lug the clothes downstairs at some
point in order to take them outside to dry,

Many years ago, we had a washline running on a pulley from just outside the
window of the back bedroom, to a tree across the parking area. I didn't
need to go up and down the stairs, and it worked fine, except when the
weather was bitterly cold - when I wouldn't want to dry things outdoors
anyway.
IMM

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
(N. Thornton) wrote:

Condensing driers are much more energy efficient. Instead of blowing
hot air outside they reuse it round and round, just extracting the
water content. They dont blow heat out at all.

They do. Mine does.

---

Andrew Heggie

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:22:56 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

The question is, how do they extract the water?

There are two circulating fans, a small one on the internal circuit
which blows through a resistance heater and then to the clothes, the
airflow circuit on the one I looked at used the door as a plenum.
After it leaves the clothes the moist air passes into an aluminium
cross flow heat exchanger. A larger fan blows ambient air in over the
secondary side of this and vents to the room. As the moist air cools
below its dew point in the heat exchanger it drips into a container,
there is also the option to take a drain to waste. The internal
circulation fan is much smaller than the heat exchanger fan.

AJH
Suz

"IMM" wrote in message

[...]

Not really. The drum turns once every five minutes so clothes don't settle
into creases. It will go for days. Once the door is opened the cycle is
truly ended and when shut again doesn't turn any more.
My mother's cheapie turns off the heat and blows cold air for 10 mins at the
end to "set" the clothes. But then that's it stopped for ever. So if
you're out, forgotten about it, etc, wrinkles start to set in.

We didn't look at washer dryers at all because we already had a good washing
machine, and doing 3 washes a day means we need a quick turnaround time.

I'll do a quick surf and see if I can spot anything with similar functions
to ours.

Suz

Suzanne,

I'm getting into this now, and am wondering if you researched washer
dryers with these functions? If it truly works, I can add in around £400
per year in ironing service costs, on top of the cost of a normal washer
dryer of about £325.

I've been to the usual suspects, Comet, Currys, Powerhouse (New), and
cant find one, or cant find anything which suggests it has the sensor
and keep turning facility.

I wonder if they dont make them yet?

Which's 2002 report on dryers - nothing on washer dryers
--------------------
Tumble Driers, Buying Guide
There are few differences in how quickly tumble driers dry loads, regardless
of price or brand. However, there are big differences in how well designed
they are for everyday use. So our Best Buy is a cheap, easy to use, sensor
drier.
Is it a condenser or air-vented drier?
The biggest headache with tumble driers is venting them. Condenser driers
condense the hot, damp air produced while drying into the water that
collects in a built-in tray. This means that they can be placed anywhere
around the house, whereas air-vented driers must be near a window or door
for ventilation - if they're not, you'll have to fit a vent through a wall.
Should I consider a gas drier?
Running costs for gas models (made by White Knight) are around three times
cheaper per load than electric ones. You will need to pay an upfront fee of
around £50 for installation, and also have regular check-ups by a
Corgi-registered gas fitter.
Will it fit the space available?
If space is tight, you could consider a compact model. These typically hold
around 3kg of laundry, instead of the 5 or 6kg you can fit in a full-sized
one. They're usually around 18cm shorter and 10cm smaller in width and
depth, but they tend to take longer and cost relatively more per load than
full-sized ones.
How easy is it to use?
Tumble driers are fairly simple appliances, but some dry automatically
(sensor models), and some use a manual timer. Both are straight-forward to
use, but it's worth being able to override the sensor to give laundry an
extra ten-minute burst. Check the door, filter and water tray aren't awkward
to use. Water trays can be awkward to remove and replace - and you may need
to empty the tray after every load.
Can it be used with a timer?
If you live in an area where you can take advantage of cheap-rate
electricity, and don't mind using your drier at night, then a built-in timer
makes doing this a doddle. If a model doesn't have one, check that it can be
used with a plug-in timer switch, as models with a 'start' button may
prevent you from doing this.
Reliable brands
Crusader, Creda Jackson

Suz

Something to do with the fact that WASHING LINES (yes, they do exist)
tend to be outdoors so if you do happen to want to save the money (and
all that electricity)

So irons don't consume electric then? Well probably not in your house.
Your wife probably has a flat iron heated in the fire.

you have to lug the clothes downstairs at some
point in order to take them outside to dry, and (I'd contend) it is much
easier to do this while they are dry - before washing - than wet.

[snip]

This is why my wife does the ironing :-)
I much perfer the "feel" of wind-dried
clothes, and there aren't really *that* many (consecutive) days when
drying outside is completely impossible, even in the uk, though it does
help if there's someone at home during the day in order to take
advantage of dry spells.

Oh bog off back to the to the 19th Century.

Suz

The question is, how do they extract the water?

There are two circulating fans, a small one on the internal circuit
which blows through a resistance heater and then to the clothes, the
airflow circuit on the one I looked at used the door as a plenum.
After it leaves the clothes the moist air passes into an aluminium
cross flow heat exchanger. A larger fan blows ambient air in over the
secondary side of this and vents to the room. As the moist air cools
below its dew point in the heat exchanger it drips into a container,
there is also the option to take a drain to waste. The internal
circulation fan is much smaller than the heat exchanger fan.

Snore.. but true. Sucks cold air in through metal heat exchanger. Blows
hot wet air through other side of exchanger. Condensation occurs. Drained
off (into removeable tank or plumbed to drain). Hot dry air back into room.
Makes soft noise. Baby sleeps.

Suz

Condensing driers are much more energy efficient. Instead of blowing
hot air outside they reuse it round and round, just extracting the
water content. They dont blow heat out at all.

The question is, how do they extract the water? I heard tell that some
use copious amounts of cold water so although your heat-energy argument
could hold in that instance, surely the water-conservation argument is
lost? Presumably (since it's in a bedroom) Suz's drier doesn't do this,
so how does it work?

Just curious...

Hwyl!

quote -

In "combo washer/dryers" (i.e. machines that can BOTH wash and dry the
clothes), the ventless condenser system is also widely used, but in these
cases the condensers are water-cooled. During a dry cycle, several gallons
of cold water is used to condense the moisture evaporated from the clothes,
which again is pumped away through the drain line. Most of the "combos"
currently available in North America use this method - i.e. units from
Equator, Splendide, Malber, Haier, Quietline, Thor, LG, and Eurotech. Note
that unlike the air-cooled design, these models do NOT significantly heat
the indoor air in one's laundry room - but on the other hand, the fact that
they use extra water during the dry cycle must be taken into consideration,
especially for anyone on a very limited (or expensive) water supply.

Answers both those points

Andrew Heggie

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:32:22 +0100, "Suz" wrote:

Snore..

Snore= Boring?

but true. Sucks cold air in through metal heat exchanger.

Unlikely to suck the air after it has been warmed, by recovering
latent heat from the heat exchanger, as this increases the necessary
fan power, more usual to blow ambient air. The salient feature is that
there are two separate circulations.

AJH

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Suz" wrote:

Oh bog off back to the to the 19th Century.

Nah, I'd miss uk.d-i-y too much :-)

I know it's not really my job to comment about the ironing because
(luckily for me) my wife does that job, and I know how much I'd hate it
if it were my job instead. Having said that, she probably does more than
I would (my "working" t-shirts for example).

The point I was trying to make was that tumble-drying isn't the only
option for drying clothes, and that even "old fashioned" air-dried
clothes *can* finish up with a minimum of creases, especially if you
are careful in your choice of styles and fabrics as you have explained.

On top of that, using the washing line is completely free, and not only
is it free but anyone trying to reduce their personal energy use (we're
getting into "green" arguments here) will make a great saving by only
using a tumble dryer when absolutely necessary. In these circumstances
it makes perfect sense (to me) to have the wet part of the laundry close
to the washing line - usually downstairs and out the back though as
someone else has pointed out, not always!

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/
.... MONEY TALKS ... but all mine ever says is GOODBYE!
Christian McArdle

I'm getting into this now, and am wondering if you researched washer
dryers with these functions?

The problem with washer dryers is that the majority of them use cold water
from the mains to add condensing. This results in the water consumption
being similar to that of a fully open fire hydrant. This is bad if you have
a meter and bad for the environment anyhow.

Christian.

Suz

"Andrew Heggie" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:32:22 +0100, "Suz" wrote:

Snore..

Snore= Boring?

but true. Sucks cold air in through metal heat exchanger.

Unlikely to suck the air after it has been warmed, by recovering
latent heat from the heat exchanger, as this increases the necessary
fan power, more usual to blow ambient air. The salient feature is that
there are two separate circulations.

I'm sure this is all true, but I wouldn't know as I slumped forward into my
dinner and nearly asphyxiated in the mash half way through.