Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

'la bassine' 450kg / 1000 lbs
'birth-pool-in-a-box' 480kg / 1056 lbs

My weight would be additional, I'm small.. but heavily pregnant (still
5 weeks to go) so estimate max 70kg / 155 lbs. The midwife and my
husband may obviously be attending to me close to the pool (but not in
it!) at times so maybe their weights should be taken into account too?

Can anyone advise on whether it's ok to put this in our upstairs main
bedroom? Our house is new (built 2006).
There is a supporting (or is it load-bearing? wall downstairs that
runs accross the bedroom (it's a very big room), would it be a good
idea to place the pool over that? Or over a joist?

Reading around, it seems like the main risk is rotten joists / beans
which is not a problem here due to newness of the house.

Obviously I don't want to be worrying about it on the day and
definitely don't want to end up taking a shortcut down to the kitchen
or dining room.

Should I get the advice of an architect / engineer, would that be
pricey?

Thanks, jb.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

each to his/her own, with MRSA would you go in if you had a choice????

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

And I thought hospitals were for ill people, or those with some form of
defect that needed treatment. Giving birth doesn't fit either of those.

--
*Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anne Welsh Jackson wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Maybe she doesn't want her new baby to be infected
with MRSA, as has happened in one of our large local
hospitals?

not sure if the handyman wrote it in jest or hes just a typical man?

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To restore balance to the world oblong wrote in

[...]

Around twice the weight of a old big bath - how many parties have you been
to in first or second floor flats , add that weight up! I can not see a
problem ,you could always fill it before the day and get hubby to jump up
and down to test If you still have concerns for peace of mind just set it
up downstairs.

All the best for your big day.

Chris

--
Superb hosting & domain name deals
http://dn-22.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:44:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Leaving aside the issues of why the OP might choose to give birth in a
relaxed intimate setting rather than in an NHS factory farm and whether
she is therefore abnormal, and getting back to the poster's actual query:
unless the house is practically on the point of collase anyway she has
nothing to worry about.

oblong wrote:
.. here are the weights of the pools (filled):

'la bassine' 450kg / 1000 lbs
'birth-pool-in-a-box' 480kg / 1056 lbs

10 stone = 140 pounds, so the larger pool is the weight of 7 and a half
such people.

My weight would be additional, I'm small.. but heavily pregnant (still
5 weeks to go) so estimate max 70kg / 155 lbs. The midwife and my
husband may obviously be attending to me close to the pool (but not in
it!) at times so maybe their weights should be taken into account too?

If your upstairs room could not comfortably support having 11
people standing in it then we'd routinely be hearing of floor collapses at
parties where you may have 2 or 3 times that number crammed into a similar
space.

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want to do
it again: after my SO's homebirth she wanted to do it all again!

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

oblong wrote:

Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Should I get the advice of an architect / engineer, would that be
pricey?

As those who have provided sensible answers have said, there shouldn't be a
problem.

But, for added peace of mind, you could get advice from a Structural
Engineer. It's likely to cost you about £100.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

each to his/her own, with MRSA would you go in if you had a choice????

As most of the MRSA is bought into hospitals from home I would question that
statement.
At least they might test you for MRSA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
oblong wrote:

Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Should I get the advice of an architect / engineer, would that be
pricey?

As those who have provided sensible answers have said, there shouldn't be
a problem.

But, for added peace of mind, you could get advice from a Structural
Engineer. It's likely to cost you about £100.

If all they want is peace of mind its cheaper to hire an acro prop and a
couple of 4x2 battens.
Just as long as the batten goes across the joists and not along them or they
will crack the plaster board.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

each to his/her own, with MRSA would you go in if you had a choice????

As most of the MRSA is bought into hospitals from home I would question
that statement.
At least they might test you for MRSA.

I would question yours at least at home you don't have wards full of
sick people and their visitors

quote
Who is most at risk of developing an MRSA infection?

The people who are most at risk of becoming either colonised or infected
with

MRSA are those in close contact with people who may be carrying the
bacteria,

for example in hospital wards that care for ill people.

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

If normal means like 90% of the rest of the world, squatting in a hut
with a paraffin lamp is the 'natural' way to do it..;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

And I thought hospitals were for ill people, or those with some form of
defect that needed treatment. Giving birth doesn't fit either of those.

Oh I dunno. Babies are a chronic disease after all..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

oblong wrote:

Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Should I get the advice of an architect / engineer, would that be
pricey?

As those who have provided sensible answers have said, there shouldn't be
a problem.

But, for added peace of mind, you could get advice from a Structural
Engineer. It's likely to cost you about £100.

If all they want is peace of mind its cheaper to hire an acro prop and a
couple of 4x2 battens.
Just as long as the batten goes across the joists and not along them or they
will crack the plaster board.

LOL, course there us the start phase of this repro bizz, a mate of mine
had to have the ceiling re plastered in the room under their bedroom
apparently due to excessive stress loads....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
news
dennis@home wrote:

"Kevin" wrote in message
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

each to his/her own, with MRSA would you go in if you had a choice????

As most of the MRSA is bought into hospitals from home I would question
that statement.
At least they might test you for MRSA.

I would question yours at least at home you don't have wards full of sick
people and their visitors

You don't usually get sick people in maternity wards/hospitals in the first
place.

If you are ill a hospital is not necessarily the best place to be, hence the
desire to close beds and treat people at home.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 14:21:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

If normal means like 90% of the rest of the world, squatting in a hut
with a paraffin lamp is the 'natural' way to do it..;-)

Aye, and no paraffin either ...

Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

oblong wrote:

Reading around, it seems like the main risk is rotten joists / beans
which is not a problem here due to newness of the house.

With a modern house the floor will be designed to meet current building
regs or something close to them. These tend to assume a floor load of
something like 100kg/m^2 of floor. So in a large room this is quite a
substantial total load.

Note also that this load is not the point at which the floor will fail,
but is spec that it must exceed or equal and not deflect by more than a
small amount (14mm on long spans, or 0.003 times the length of the joist
(in mm) on shorter ones). The failure point may well be significantly
(probably more than double) the max load for building regs purposes.

So in summary, nothing to worry about unless you have huge amounts of
heavy equipment in the room already. By all means set it up over the
supporting wall - that should eliminate any remaining doubt.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

oblong wrote:

[...]

That's because he put the prop in the bedroom rather than downstairs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

If normal means like 90% of the rest of the world, squatting in a hut
with a paraffin lamp is the 'natural' way to do it..;-)

Aye, and no paraffin either ...

and no hut, they don't want to have to clean up the mess so they just do it
outside.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 14:19:19 +0100, Kevin
wrote:

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

each to his/her own, with MRSA would you go in if you had a choice????

This "Birthing Pool" is completely sterile is it how is that achieved?

As most of the MRSA is bought into hospitals from home I would question
that statement.
At least they might test you for MRSA.

I would question yours at least at home you don't have wards full of
sick people and their visitors

Women in a labour ward giving birth are not, in general, sick.

AFAIAA their visitors are in the same state of health as the visitors
likely to visit one at home.

22 years ago when our daughter was born they were discharged 10 hours
after birth.

2 weeks ago my niece gave birth and 6 hours later they brought the
baby home through London on the bus.

quote
Who is most at risk of developing an MRSA infection?

Are you asking or telling or both ?

Anyhow, the extreme aged or infirm, those who's immune system is
compromised by sickness or treatment they are receiving.

The people who are most at risk of becoming either colonised or infected
with

MRSA are those in close contact with people who may be carrying the
bacteria,

40% of people have it on their skin. Less than 1/2% are true carriers.

for example in hospital wards that care for ill people.

and theatres and shopping centres and on buses and trains and ... ...

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news
In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

oblong wrote:

[...]

Its though that the female side in this instance could have handled an
acrow ;!.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 15:21:21 +0100, Derek wrote:

This "Birthing Pool" is completely sterile is it how is that achieved?

No, but it should be free of the sort of pathogens that matter. To that
end it will typically have a liner which is thrown away after use. And the
water coming in should be safe if it derived from chlorinated cold mains
and properly stored and heated DHW (not guaranteed, of course, but mammals
have been giving birth with a sustainable success rate in far-from-sterile
conditions for a few million years now).

--
John Stumbles

The astronomer married a star
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Maybe she doesn't want her new baby to be infected
with MRSA, as has happened in one of our large local
hospitals?

Maybe she doesn't want a 'technical' delivery. I wouldn't want a pool birth
but having experienced home and hospital births I was very upset when my
last child had to be born in hospital, according to the consultant
obstetrician.

Why?

Because the Leeds policy was that all births after the fourth were at risk.

In neighbouring Dewsbury, where they just happened to have more beds, it was
all births after the fifth. This was forty years ago, by the way.

When No 1 daughter was pregnant (22 tears ago) she had to fight - with my
formidable support, to have a home birth. The midwife was very opposed,
talking about risk. After she'd attended that birth and daughter was having
a second the same midwife was very supportive of attending home births.

Things have changed. No 2 daughter was definitely at risk, at 42 with a
history of miscarriage, but she had a home (pool) birth.

It doesn't relieve pain, apparently, but gives you something to think about.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:44:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want to do
it again:

Evidence?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:44:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want to do
it again:

Evidence?

Mary

Hah. I remember once one of those dreadful syrupy Mother and Baby
programs on the telly once..after te usual parade of 'gosh it hurt, but
when my baby was delivered i felt....' the last interviewee, who looked
frankly stunning, articulate and intelligent..said 'well it was
basically like having a bloody great rather painful constipated ****'..
'and how did you feel when BaBy was put into your arms?' 'extremely
relieved, but conscious of the fact I had just taken on a 21 year job
with no possibility of resignation'

Far too much bull**** about Babies.

I'm off for a bloody great ****..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

When No 1 daughter was pregnant (22 tears ago) she had to fight - with my
formidable support, to have a home birth. The midwife was very opposed,
talking about risk. After she'd attended that birth and daughter was
having a second the same midwife was very supportive of attending home
births.

Well I am quite glad my daughter was born in hospital, she had the cord
wrapped around her neck.
I was a bit disappointed by the fact I had to do the diagnosis from the
traces and get the consultant rather than the highly trained midwife.

Its just as well some of us actually look into the mechanics of these things
even though we shouldn't need to know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

'la bassine' 450kg / 1000 lbs
'birth-pool-in-a-box' 480kg / 1056 lbs

My weight would be additional, I'm small.. but heavily pregnant (still
5 weeks to go) so estimate max 70kg / 155 lbs. The midwife and my
husband may obviously be attending to me close to the pool (but not in
it!) at times so maybe their weights should be taken into account too?

Just like a water bed then!

Can anyone advise on whether it's ok to put this in our upstairs main
bedroom? Our house is new (built 2006).
There is a supporting (or is it load-bearing? wall downstairs that
runs accross the bedroom (it's a very big room), would it be a good
idea to place the pool over that? Or over a joist?

Put the pool straddling either side of the load bearing wall - remember that
the pool will hold around 100+ gallons of water (using the figures you
supplied) so if the floor is weyroc, it will need some protection (such as a
plastic sheet) under the pool (advisable anyway).

Reading around, it seems like the main risk is rotten joists / beans
which is not a problem here due to newness of the house.

Obviously I don't want to be worrying about it on the day and
definitely don't want to end up taking a shortcut down to the kitchen
or dining room.

If you are concerned about the weight, try using a couple of sheets of 3/4"
or 1" plywood on the floor under the pool just to spread the load over the
wall and floor joists - and if you are really paranoid, stick a few
adjustable Acrow props between the ground and first floor ceiling (not
really necessary in my opinion and a bit OTT) with some scaffold boards
under and on top of the acrows).

But in reality - the thing probably is no heavier than a water bed and there
shouldn't be any problems.

Whilst there should be no problem, you do this *at* *your* *own* *risk* -
(yes I'm covering my bum [rare for me] in this litigious age) :-)

BTW, I won't pass comment on home births, but if you are considering this -
well done for kicking against the establishment - and may the birth be an
easy one!

Let us know how you get on please.

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:44:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want
to do it again:

Evidence?

Mary

Hah. I remember once one of those dreadful syrupy Mother and Baby
programs on the telly once..after te usual parade of 'gosh it hurt,
but when my baby was delivered i felt....' the last interviewee, who
looked frankly stunning, articulate and intelligent..said 'well it was
basically like having a bloody great rather painful constipated
****'.. 'and how did you feel when Baby was put into your arms?'
'extremely relieved, but conscious of the fact I had just taken on a
21 year job with no possibility of resignation'

Far too much bull**** about Babies.

You often get women gazing lovingly at babies & wishing they had one. You
never hear "Oh I wish I had a tenager" do you?

They grow up!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want to do
it again: after my SO's homebirth she wanted to do it all again!

Absolutely! Our first child was born in hospital, the second at home,
the second was a much, much better experience for mother, child,
husband (me) and everyone else.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Well although I have occasioonally felt mildly like having a teenager, I
have kept quite. Rather than a natural mild yearning for offspring, it
would doubtless be interpreted as a tendency towards paedophilia.

They grow up!

Thank god..or other suitable deity (TM)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 16:15:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want to
do it again:

Evidence?

Hearsay, I have to confess. Certainly the SO's first delivery (blue & 2s to
hospital, stirrups, forceps) wasn't something she looked back on fondly.

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 16:15:58 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"John Stumbles" wrote in message

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want to
do it again:

Evidence?

Hearsay, I have to confess. Certainly the SO's first delivery (blue & 2s
hospital, stirrups, forceps) wasn't something she looked back on fondly.

Thanks for your honesty :-)

My first delivery - face to pubes, stirrups, 23 hours - was awful but once
the agony has gone you really do forget it.

If what you said HAD been true there would be far more one-child families
:-)))

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 20:08:14 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

My first delivery - face to pubes, stirrups, 23 hours - was awful but
once the agony has gone you really do forget it.

If what you said HAD been true there would be far more one-child
families
:-)))

I thought it was almost a truism that it was only the "once the agony has
gone you really do forget it" phenomenon that accounted for families of
more than one child!

--
John Stumbles

What do you mean, talking about it isn't oral sex?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Sep, 20:54, Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
I'm planning a home birth

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Well, this is a DIY group.

Owain

(I am the OP, I posted using wrong account before)

lol! Yes, all you uk-diy-ers ought to be well into home births!

Thanks for the (relevant) responses, I'm reassured, I'll put the pool
over the load-bearing wall as it's a reasonable place to put it
anyway.

Regarding home birth.. I can't let some of the comments go un-
answered! Homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for normal low-risk
births based on the statistics, this is with trasfers to hospital
taken into account. Obviously hospital is needed in some situations
but these things rarely happen suddenly without warning. This is my
fourth baby but first home birth. First three very straight-forward
but hospital was just a really unpleasant experience for me, I really
want the full attention of a midwife and to be in my own relaxing
surroundings. The only differences for me will be...

a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout
b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)
c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.
d) I'll be able to move around and not forced to lie on a bed being
monitored
e) I'll avoid not-needed interventions (experienced twice)
f) It'll be a great experience as opposed to a mildly traumatic one.

If you want to know more, this site expains it much better than I ever
could: http://www.homebirth.org.uk/

Having had three children, I've heard lots of women's experiences of
birth and I've rarely (actually maybe even never, I can't think of
one) heard a positive account of a **normal** hospital birth and have
never heard a negative account of a home birth, even the two that
resulted in transfer to hospital. Obviously the hospital stuff is
crucial when things go wrong and we're lucky to have all that too -
wouldn't want to be without it.

Thanks for all the comments.

jb.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 6 Sep, 20:54, Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
I'm planning a home birth
Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Well, this is a DIY group.

Owain

(I am the OP, I posted using wrong account before)

lol! Yes, all you uk-diy-ers ought to be well into home births!

Thanks for the (relevant) responses, I'm reassured, I'll put the pool
over the load-bearing wall as it's a reasonable place to put it
anyway.

Regarding home birth.. I can't let some of the comments go un-
answered! Homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for normal low-risk
births based on the statistics, this is with trasfers to hospital
taken into account.

Bollox of course it isnt, you have no access to back up facilities. You are
simply a potencial burden to the ambulance service.

Obviously hospital is needed in some situations
but these things rarely happen suddenly without warning. This is my
fourth baby but first home birth. First three very straight-forward
but hospital was just a really unpleasant experience for me, I really
want the full attention of a midwife and to be in my own relaxing
surroundings. The only differences for me will be...

That you are getting the extra attention you crave. Never mind the extra
cost to all of us via the NHS.

a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout

But not the attention of a fully staffed NHS unit with access to every
possible resoursce you might need.

b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)

And its 'trendy'. You have endless material to bore the arse off people at
dinner parties when you talk about your 'birthing experience'.

c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.

But if anything goes toes up you cause the NHS sh*t loads of extra time &
expense.

d) I'll be able to move around and not forced to lie on a bed being
monitored
e) I'll avoid not-needed interventions (experienced twice)
f) It'll be a great experience as opposed to a mildly traumatic one.

Grow up & get used to it FFS. Our NHS isn't perfect but it's probably the
best in the world. The nature of the beast is that you become a number.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:
On 6 Sep, 20:54, Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
I'm planning a home birth
Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?
Well, this is a DIY group.

Owain

(I am the OP, I posted using wrong account before)

lol! Yes, all you uk-diy-ers ought to be well into home births!

Thanks for the (relevant) responses, I'm reassured, I'll put the pool
over the load-bearing wall as it's a reasonable place to put it
anyway.

Regarding home birth.. I can't let some of the comments go un-
answered! Homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for normal low-risk
births based on the statistics, this is with trasfers to hospital
taken into account.

Bollox of course it isnt, you have no access to back up facilities. You are
simply a potencial burden to the ambulance service.

Cost benefit should be considered he Its probably a lot cheaper to
have a home birth with a good midwife, and the percentage that do go
wrong and do require an ambulance are probably insufficient to offset
the lower cost.

I think its more the NHS being sensitive to litigation if the birth goes
wrong, and mother or baby dies, and they COULD have been saved if they
had been in a hospital etc..

I WISH all this nanny state legislation could be an OPTION and not de
jure though.

I would `LOVE to walk into a shop and have stuff with red lables on
reading 'this product has not been produced according to EU directive
blah blah blah, in fact we shot it on Sunday and butchered it 5 days ago
and its been hanging in the cool room since then. It does however have
flavour to die for, and if it happens to have the wrong bacteria in it,
and you fail to cook it properly, that mifht be the case. Eat at your
own risk and pleasure'.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
wrote:
On 6 Sep, 20:54, Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
I'm planning a home birth
Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Well, this is a DIY group.

Owain

(I am the OP, I posted using wrong account before)

lol! Yes, all you uk-diy-ers ought to be well into home births!

Thanks for the (relevant) responses, I'm reassured, I'll put the pool
over the load-bearing wall as it's a reasonable place to put it
anyway.

Regarding home birth.. I can't let some of the comments go un-
answered! Homebirth is as safe as hospital birth for normal low-risk
births based on the statistics, this is with trasfers to hospital
taken into account.

Bollox of course it isnt, you have no access to back up facilities. You
are simply a potencial burden to the ambulance service.

What about you then Dave - a die hard smoker? There are more
deaths/problems from lung cancer caused by smoking than home births - so
that make you a "potencial (sic) burden" not only to ambulance service, but
also to the various departments of the local hospital for many years!

Obviously hospital is needed in some situations
but these things rarely happen suddenly without warning. This is my
fourth baby but first home birth. First three very straight-forward
but hospital was just a really unpleasant experience for me, I really
want the full attention of a midwife and to be in my own relaxing
surroundings. The only differences for me will be...

That you are getting the extra attention you crave. Never mind the
extra cost to all of us via the NHS.

What about you and that filthy smoking habit you have getting the attention
that you crave of the NHS? - Not to mention your kids passive smoking as
well!

a) I'll have the full attention of a midwife throughout

But not the attention of a fully staffed NHS unit with access to every
possible resoursce you might need.

But surely the lady is saving the NHS some cash?

b) I'll be able to use the pool for relaxation and pain relief (have
used before but not allowed last time due to hospital staff issues -
def. does give pain relief, at least it did to me)

And its 'trendy'. You have endless material to bore the arse off
people at dinner parties when you talk about your 'birthing
experience'.

A bit like you and the not so subliminal span in this group for the Medway
Handyman "look how good *I* am, after all I'm "recommended" by trading
standards" - now whose a "boring" *and* arrogant b****rd?

c) I won't have to travel in the middle of labour and then possibly
wait around and argue to be allowed into the delivery suite.

But if anything goes toes up you cause the NHS sh*t loads of extra
time & expense.

Lets see what extra time and expense you are going to cause in the future
with that smoking habit of yours.

d) I'll be able to move around and not forced to lie on a bed being
monitored
e) I'll avoid not-needed interventions (experienced twice)
f) It'll be a great experience as opposed to a mildly traumatic one.

Grow up & get used to it FFS. Our NHS isn't perfect but it's
probably the best in the world. The nature of the beast is that you
become a number.

No Dave, you are the one that wants to "grow up" - the lady is doing what
she wants to do, and is taking the time to do it properly - even though she
is unlikely to brag here that she is the best thing since sliced bread or
recommeneded by trading standards!

Tanner-'op - who is rooting for the gal to have here wish, and bring forth a
brand new, healthy bouncer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman scribeth thus
wrote:
On 6 Sep, 20:54, Owain wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
oblong wrote:
I'm planning a home birth
[...]

Shuttup you miserable old git;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having had three children, I've heard lots of women's experiences of
birth and I've rarely (actually maybe even never, I can't think of
one) heard a positive account of a **normal** hospital birth and have
never heard a negative account of a home birth, even the two that
resulted in transfer to hospital. Obviously the hospital stuff is
crucial when things go wrong and we're lucky to have all that too -
wouldn't want to be without it.

Well...

Our first child was born in an abysmal placed in an old workhouse;!,
passing as the Mill road maternity hospital, now long defunct but the
second and third were at the Rosie maternity unit at Cambridge and very
good it was too.

Much left to your own devices with minimal intervention but it was there
when needed, not that it was, but mother liked all the fussing around
and attention afterwards but was pleased to be off home after a few
days.

And no matter how many times you've witnessed the event its one of the
most humbling experiences there is...

--
Tony Sayer