Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Stumbles John Stumbles is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:44:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Leaving aside the issues of why the OP might choose to give birth in a
relaxed intimate setting rather than in an NHS factory farm and whether
she is therefore abnormal, and getting back to the poster's actual query:
unless the house is practically on the point of collase anyway she has
nothing to worry about.

oblong wrote:
.. here are the weights of the pools (filled):

'la bassine' 450kg / 1000 lbs
'birth-pool-in-a-box' 480kg / 1056 lbs

10 stone = 140 pounds, so the larger pool is the weight of 7 and a half
such people.

My weight would be additional, I'm small.. but heavily pregnant (still
5 weeks to go) so estimate max 70kg / 155 lbs. The midwife and my
husband may obviously be attending to me close to the pool (but not in
it!) at times so maybe their weights should be taken into account too?

If your upstairs room could not comfortably support having 11
people standing in it then we'd routinely be hearing of floor collapses at
parties where you may have 2 or 3 times that number crammed into a similar
space.

Enjoy your birth. After giving birth most women say they never want to do
it again: after my SO's homebirth she wanted to do it all again!

--
John Stumbles

Who's *really* behind all these conspiracy theories?