Posted to uk.d-i-y
Joker7 Joker7 is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

To restore balance to the world oblong wrote in

Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

'la bassine' 450kg / 1000 lbs
'birth-pool-in-a-box' 480kg / 1056 lbs

My weight would be additional, I'm small.. but heavily pregnant
(still 5 weeks to go) so estimate max 70kg / 155 lbs. The midwife
and my husband may obviously be attending to me close to the pool
(but not in it!) at times so maybe their weights should be taken
into account too?

Can anyone advise on whether it's ok to put this in our upstairs main
bedroom? Our house is new (built 2006).
There is a supporting (or is it load-bearing? wall downstairs that
runs accross the bedroom (it's a very big room), would it be a good
idea to place the pool over that? Or over a joist?

Reading around, it seems like the main risk is rotten joists / beans
which is not a problem here due to newness of the house.

Obviously I don't want to be worrying about it on the day and
definitely don't want to end up taking a shortcut down to the kitchen
or dining room.

Should I get the advice of an architect / engineer, would that be
pricey?

Thanks, jb.

Around twice the weight of a old big bath - how many parties have you been
to in first or second floor flats , add that weight up! I can not see a
problem ,you could always fill it before the day and get hubby to jump up
and down to test If you still have concerns for peace of mind just set it
up downstairs.

All the best for your big day.

Chris

--