Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Birth Pool Upstairs??

"Anne Welsh Jackson" wrote in message
"The Medway Handyman" wrote:
oblong wrote:
Please help!

I'm planning a home birth and would like to have an inflatable pool
for pain relief purposes, there are two options, they are both at the
smaller end of the birth-pool spectrum.. here are the weights of the
pools (filled):

Why don't you just go to hospital like normal people?

Maybe she doesn't want her new baby to be infected
with MRSA, as has happened in one of our large local
hospitals?

Maybe she doesn't want a 'technical' delivery. I wouldn't want a pool birth
but having experienced home and hospital births I was very upset when my
last child had to be born in hospital, according to the consultant
obstetrician.

Why?

Because the Leeds policy was that all births after the fourth were at risk.

In neighbouring Dewsbury, where they just happened to have more beds, it was
all births after the fifth. This was forty years ago, by the way.

When No 1 daughter was pregnant (22 tears ago) she had to fight - with my
formidable support, to have a home birth. The midwife was very opposed,
talking about risk. After she'd attended that birth and daughter was having
a second the same midwife was very supportive of attending home births.

Things have changed. No 2 daughter was definitely at risk, at 42 with a
history of miscarriage, but she had a home (pool) birth.

It doesn't relieve pain, apparently, but gives you something to think about.

Mary