Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Way to go den ...

sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

It actually says that the idiotic speeders are likely to tailgate you.
This is obvious as speeders are usually bad drivers in more ways than
speeding.
Just read what the bad drivers have posted here.
Some of them even think its impossible not to have an accident in 300,000
miles of driving just because they have had a few and they are "good"
drivers.

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

geoff wrote:

sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

And on which planet can you sensibly 'pull over and let them pass'? The
worst road in my town (IMO) has a bus lane along much of it. You are
prohibited from doing so. As it is on many, many roads throughout the
country.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message

sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

It actually says that the idiotic speeders are likely to tailgate you.

Even Michael Schumacher does that!
http://tinyurl.com/5sh4kg

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:59:04 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

It actually says that the idiotic speeders are likely to tailgate you.

You can't both tailgate a limit-observing motorist _and_ speed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It actually says that the idiotic speeders are likely to tailgate you.

You can't both tailgate a limit-observing motorist _and_ speed.

Technically you can, but I will leave you to work that out. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-31, geoff wrote:
sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

Do what I do; slow down until the gap is appropriate for the speed. I've had
people down to walking pace before now.

...ands then speed up as they overtake you?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-07-31, geoff wrote:
sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

Do what I do; slow down until the gap is appropriate for the speed. I've had
people down to walking pace before now.

..ands then speed up as they overtake you?

I think that it must be a religious thing. Here's a recent article:

The other day I went up to a local Christian bookstore and saw a honk
if you love Jesus bumper sticker.

I was feeling particularly sassy that day because I had just come from
a thrilling choir performance, followed by a thunderous prayer meeting,
so I bought the sticker and put in on my bumper.

I was stopped at a red light at a busy intersection, just lost in
thought about the Lord and how good He is and I didn't notice that the
light had changed.

It is a good thing someone else loves Jesus because if he hadn't
honked, I'd never have noticed.

I found that LOTS of people love Jesus. Why, while I was sitting there,
the guy behind started honking like crazy, and when he leaned out of
his window and screamed, "for the love of God, GO! GO!" What an
exuberant cheerleader he was for Jesus.

Everyone started honking! I just leaned out of my window and started
waving and smiling at all these loving people.

I even honked my horn a few times to share in the love. There must have
been a man from Florida back there because I heard him yelling
something about a sunny beach...

I saw another guy waving in a funny way with only his middle finger
stuck up in the air. When I asked my teenage grandson in the back seat
what that meant, he said that it was probably a Hawaiian good luck sign
or something.

Well, I've never met anyone from Hawaii, so I leaned out the window and
gave him the good luck sign back.

My grandson burst out laughing, why even he was enjoying this religious
experience.

A couple of the people were so caught up in the joy of the moment that
they got out of their cars and started walking towards me.

I bet they wanted to pray or ask what church I attended, but this is
when I noticed the light had changed.

So, I waved to all my sisters and brothers grinning, and drove on
through the intersection.

I noticed I was the only car that got through the intersection before
the light changed again and I felt kind of sad that I had to leave them
after all the love we had shared, so I slowed the car down, leaned out
of the window and gave them all the Hawaiian good luck sign one last
time as I drove away.

Praise the Lord for such wonderful folks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
geoff wrote:

sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

And on which planet can you sensibly 'pull over and let them pass'? The
worst road in my town (IMO) has a bus lane along much of it. You are
prohibited from doing so. As it is on many, many roads throughout the
country.

You do not want to pull onto a bus lane

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1059937_fined_for_getting_out_of_the_way

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

ARWadworth wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
geoff wrote:

sticking to the speed limit is just dangerous

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4433120.ece

And on which planet can you sensibly 'pull over and let them pass'?
The worst road in my town (IMO) has a bus lane along much of it. You
are prohibited from doing so. As it is on many, many roads throughout
the country.

You do not want to pull onto a bus lane

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1059937_fined_for_getting_out_of_the_way

There have been mentions over on legal of similar things that most of us
would regard as sensible in order to permit an ambulace to pass. Often
things like this only start to be treated sensibly again after a major
issue (e.g. patients proved to have died because drivers are too
intimidated to get out of the way). But it would probably take an
exceptional case to provide such proof, so will not occur any time soon.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
ARWadworth wrote:

"Rod" wrote in message
geoff wrote:

[...]

My daughters main complaint is that people don't get out of the way when
they see a large flourescent yellow/green ambulance with flashing blue
lights - assuming they actually notice it in the first place.

She ran over a dog a few months ago, it was on a lead at the time. Woman
walking it had stopped at a Zebra crossing. Bex approached on blues & twos,
used the repeater siren. Woman walked onto the crossing in front of her,
then 'spotted' the ambulance & stepped backwards - leaving the dog on the
end of the lead.

Since it was a dog & had to be reported to the police, she had to radio
control for another ambulance to collect the cardiac arrest patient in the
back of her truck - who fortunately survived.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 09:47:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

My daughters main complaint is that people don't get out of the way when
they see a large flourescent yellow/green ambulance with flashing blue
lights - assuming they actually notice it in the first place.

She ran over a dog a few months ago, it was on a lead at the time. Woman
walking it had stopped at a Zebra crossing. Bex approached on blues & twos,
used the repeater siren.

I've always wanted a set of those on my car. The sirens and lights I
mean, not the fluorescent excessences.

They have great repeater sirens in Moscow - loud and low pitched
honking sound. I would *really* like one of those.

Woman walked onto the crossing in front of her,
then 'spotted' the ambulance & stepped backwards - leaving the dog on the
end of the lead.

Since it was a dog & had to be reported to the police, she had to radio
control for another ambulance to collect the cardiac arrest patient in the
back of her truck - who fortunately survived.

I suppose that the dog didn't?

(Is Bex short for Bexley, BTW? :-) )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod writes:

I start looking around as soon I hear a siren - and we certainly get a
lot of them. The other day I saw an ambulance coming towards me - but
their side of the road was solid. I indicated and pulled over into a
convenient parking bay/thing - so the motorcyclist behind me overtook me
- head on towards the ambulance which was now on my side and moving at
speed.

I am sure that I have made the wrong decision at times. Impossible
always to do the best thing.

I started instinctively pulling over to let a police car approaching
me from behind pass before realising it wouldn't fit. At that point I
decided best thing to do was to continue, and I sped up. Then it occurred
to me that this looked horribly like a police chase of the type I've
often seen on those police camera programs - them chasing me at
significantly above the speed limit. About a 1/3 mile later,
there was space to pull off, which I did, and the police car
shot past.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 09:47:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

[...]

No, brown bread.

(Is Bex short for Bexley, BTW? :-) )

Bex stationed at Bexley.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-08-02 09:47:24 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:
[...]

With your background, I had thought it might be related to this:

http://www.bex.com/

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 18:15:59 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose that the dog didn't?

No, brown bread.

(Is Bex short for Bexley, BTW? :-) )

Bex stationed at Bexley.

I thought she was in the London service...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...

She ran over a dog a few months ago, it was on a lead at the time. Woman
walking it had stopped at a Zebra crossing. Bex approached on blues &
twos, used the repeater siren. Woman walked onto the crossing in front of
her, then 'spotted' the ambulance & stepped backwards - leaving the dog on
the end of the lead.

Since it was a dog & had to be reported to the police, she had to radio
control for another ambulance to collect the cardiac arrest patient in the
back of her truck - who fortunately survived.

I hope she learns from that!
It was her fault!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2008 18:43, dennis@home wrote:

I hope she learns from that!
It was her fault!

I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
On 02/08/2008 18:43, dennis@home wrote:

I hope she learns from that!
It was her fault!

I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it either.

I thought for a good few seconds and decided that tack would be wasted on
TMH.
He probably thinks its good driving to run pets down.
I wonder if it was excess speed or just plain stupidity?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

dennis@home wrote:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
On 02/08/2008 18:43, dennis@home wrote:

I hope she learns from that!
It was her fault!

I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it either.

I thought for a good few seconds and decided that tack would be wasted
on TMH.
He probably thinks its good driving to run pets down.
I wonder if it was excess speed or just plain stupidity?

It's more use for horses?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 22:15:51 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
On 02/08/2008 18:43, dennis@home wrote:

I hope she learns from that!
It was her fault!

I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it either.

I thought for a good few seconds and decided that tack would be wasted on TMH.
He probably thinks its good driving to run pets down.
I wonder if it was excess speed or just plain stupidity?

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been the
patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent brain
damage would have set in?

Ah....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2008 22:35, Andy Hall wrote:

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been the
patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent brain
damage would have set in?

Presumably in this case having to stop after the accident negated the
time saved by speeding?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 18:15:59 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose that the dog didn't?

No, brown bread.

(Is Bex short for Bexley, BTW? :-) )

Bex stationed at Bexley.

I thought she was in the London service...

She is. LAS covers everything inside the M25 - thats the boundary they use.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 22:42:59 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

On 02/08/2008 22:35, Andy Hall wrote:

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been the
patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent brain
damage would have set in?

Presumably in this case having to stop after the accident negated the
time saved by speeding?

Only because a dog was involved.

Had you been the patient, what action would you have liked?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-08-02 22:42:59 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

On 02/08/2008 22:35, Andy Hall wrote:

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been
the patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent
brain damage would have set in?

Presumably in this case having to stop after the accident negated the
time saved by speeding?

Only because a dog was involved.

Had you been the patient, what action would you have liked?

I wish she had been able to say "Oh, was it a dog? I thought it was a
cat."... as she helped the patient.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
On 02/08/2008 18:43, dennis@home wrote:

I hope she learns from that!
It was her fault!

I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it either.

I thought for a good few seconds and decided that tack would be
wasted on TMH.

It would be Dennis, I'm not a horse.

He probably thinks its good driving to run pets down.
I wonder if it was excess speed or just plain stupidity?

Prabably stupidity Dennis. London Ambulance deliberately recruit stupid
people, then train them extensively to become even more stupid.

Wouldn't have been excess speed, no reason to go fast with a critical
cardiac arrest patient in the back, all the time in the world.

Out of your head on glue again Dennis?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 22:45:17 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-08-02 18:15:59 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I suppose that the dog didn't?

No, brown bread.

(Is Bex short for Bexley, BTW? :-) )

Bex stationed at Bexley.

I thought she was in the London service...

She is. LAS covers everything inside the M25 - thats the boundary they use.

Ah. I thought that Bexley was some way into Kent and LAS was London boroughs.

This lady had something to say about that:

http://www.emmaclarke.com/media/7156...-of-london.mp3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 02/08/2008 22:35, Andy Hall wrote:

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been the
patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent brain
damage would have set in?

Presumably in this case having to stop after the accident negated the
time saved by speeding?

I think the key issue here, unless one believes that ambulances should have
a man with a red flag walking in front, is why was the woman with the dog
seemingly oblivious to blues n twos? It's highly unfortunately that her dog
got run over, but my point stands...

I was on the A21 going southbound towards Lamberhurst last week and there
was a 3 way car ding. I didn't know this immediately of course because I
was 1/2 mile behind stuck in the resultant jam.

This bit of the A21 is single carriageway.

What amazed me was that not long after 3 police cars had squeezed through
sirens wailing, along came the ambulance. Only being a bit wider, it had
considerable difficulty. I attempted to get further left onto the verge
expecting the cars in front to do the same. We were currently locked nose
to tail from the previous shuffle to let the police through. The sirens
were quite obvious even with windows closed.

I had to give a good blast on my horn before the dozy twonks in front of me
decided it might be a good idea if they did the diagonal shuffle once again
allowing me and everyone else behind to shift a couple of feet over. Seemed
completely oblivious. After a couple of police cars, you might generally
expect an ambulance or fire tender.

The three cars (well, two and a light van) looked like they'd had glancing
blows and hopefully noone was seriously injured.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2008 22:47, Andy Hall wrote:

Only because a dog was involved.

If it had been a toddler? If the dog had pulled its owner over? All
sounds a bit too close for comfort to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2008 23:02, Tim S wrote:

I think the key issue here, unless one believes that ambulances should have
a man with a red flag walking in front,

Agreed we don't really have enough facts to be banging on about it, I'm
sure Dave only chucked it in as an anecdote.

why was the woman with the dog
seemingly oblivious to blues n twos?

Deaf? Blind? (though presumably a guide dog would have had more wits
about it)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 23:00:16 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

This lady had something to say about that:

http://www.emmaclarke.com/media/7156...-of-london.mp3

Love it!

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 23:06:38 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

On 02/08/2008 22:47, Andy Hall wrote:

Only because a dog was involved.

If it had been a toddler? If the dog had pulled its owner over? All
sounds a bit too close for comfort to me.

So what is the solution?

- More ambulances so that they can statistically be closer to locations
where there is an emergency?

- Separate lanes everywhere?

- Operate always within the speed limit?

- Allow patients to die?

Do any of these guarantee that the dog or a toddler wouldn't have been hit?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 23:16:54 +0100, Frank Erskine

wrote:

This lady had something to say about that:

http://www.emmaclarke.com/media/7156...-of-london.mp3

Love it!

The others are good as well

http://www.emmaclarke.com/fun/mind-t...announcements/

particularly like the one for the Americans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 22:15:51 +0100, "dennis@home"
said:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
et...
On 02/08/2008 18:43, dennis@home wrote:

I hope she learns from that!
It was her fault!

I couldn't think of a tactful way of saying it either.

I thought for a good few seconds and decided that tack would be wasted on
TMH.
He probably thinks its good driving to run pets down.
I wonder if it was excess speed or just plain stupidity?

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been the
patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent brain damage
would have set in?

Ah....

Because the stupid ambulance driver had to stop for the accident they caused
as in this case?

Ah....

Maybe you will read the posts before making a fool of yourself next time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-08-02 22:42:59 +0100, Andy Burns
said:

On 02/08/2008 22:35, Andy Hall wrote:

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been the
patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent brain
damage would have set in?

Presumably in this case having to stop after the accident negated the
time saved by speeding?

Only because a dog was involved.

Had you been the patient, what action would you have liked?

I'm sure you would have kids and other innocents run down to get to you.
However most would prefer the driver to take a bit more care.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Andy Burns coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 02/08/2008 22:35, Andy Hall wrote:

Would you still have the same opinion had it been you that had been the
patient in cardiac arrest with a few minutes before permanent brain
damage would have set in?

Presumably in this case having to stop after the accident negated the
time saved by speeding?

I think the key issue here, unless one believes that ambulances should
have
a man with a red flag walking in front, is why was the woman with the dog
seemingly oblivious to blues n twos? It's highly unfortunately that her
dog
got run over, but my point stands...

Lets see..
how many blind people use the roads?
how many deaf people use the roads?
how many kids use the roads?
Now do you sound foolish?

[...]

So why hadn't you moved over far enough?