Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is caulk sandable?

I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and also
round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been using caulk
but after applying it, the following day I went to sand it smooth and it was
tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the job
properly.

Thanks yet again

Sam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and also
round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been using caulk
but after applying it, the following day I went to sand it smooth and it was
tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the job
properly.

Caulk often is the best stuff, but you have to remember that it is not
sandable. The trick is to get it right first time! It is water soluble,
so you can smooth it with a damp sponge etc. The main attraction is that
it is very easy to wipe into small imperfections, and it remains
slightly flexible which is handy round door frames etc.

If you want something similar, but sandable, then look for one of the
low density fine surface fillers. Toolstation do a "Instant Plaster
Filler" that is a little like caulk in use, but can be sanded. Product
code 87431.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Samantha Booth wrote:
I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and
also round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been
using caulk but after applying it, the following day I went to sand it
smooth and it was tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the
job properly.

The idea of caulk is that it shouldn't need sanding if correctly applied
with a decent spreader. So saying all the ones I've tried shrink badly on
drying and need three or so goes. But once you've achieved a good finish
seem to last pretty well.

--
*Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Samantha Booth wrote:
[...]

Thanks John

I have learned something new today again. i do love this NG, and appreciate
you all taking the time to help me.

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and
also round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been
using caulk but after applying it, the following day I went to sand it
smooth and it was tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the
job properly.

Caulk often is the best stuff, but you have to remember that it is not
sandable. The trick is to get it right first time! It is water soluble,
so you can smooth it with a damp sponge etc. The main attraction is that
it is very easy to wipe into small imperfections, and it remains
slightly flexible which is handy round door frames etc.

Yes; I sand first and wash down, and finally apply the caulk as above:
no further sanding required. If it's still tacky: well, it's not gone
off yet, however most types are overpaintable pretty quickly (ie,
overnight not needed).

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:
I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and also
round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been using caulk
but after applying it, the following day I went to sand it smooth and it was
tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the job
properly.

Thanks yet again

Sam

It goes almost hard eventually..several days/weeks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Samantha Booth wrote:
I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and
also round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been
using caulk but after applying it, the following day I went to sand
it smooth and it was tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the
job properly.

Thanks yet again

Sam

It goes almost hard eventually..several days/weeks

It doesn't actually - or at least not like a conventional filler. If you
break the end off the tube weeks after last use it bends a fair way before
breaking. So flexible it remains.

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Samantha Booth wrote:

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the job
properly.

If you want something that is flexible, can be sanded and over painted
then one of the modified silicone sealants such as Evostick Nail and
Seal can be used to replace caulk. Unfortunately it is made in only one
colour, white, so it's not a replacement for every sealant in every use
but it is excellent where the limitation in colour/transparency is not
an issue. It doesn't shrink in use which is also handy.

It's useful stuff to have available since it can be used as a
replacement for gripfil and it can also be used for caulking.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Steve Firth, Becky wrote:
Please help me without making me feel more stupid than I already do. In
prepping my wood stair treads for paint, I used paintable wood filler. But
when I went back to sand, I saw that many places were still deeply gouged. So
(gulp) I made a classic beginner's mistake: I realize now I screwed up by
skimming paintable caulk over these areas.

Here we are two days later and my stair treads are still tacky to the touch in
places. To make it even more horrifying, I am reading that caulk can't be
sanded. I applied it/skimmed it pretty smooth but planned to sand it to
perfection.

Now I read caulk not only can't be sanded, it shrinks over time. So basically
my stair treads will look like sh** by next month. If the caulk even ever
dries.

Is there any hope left? Please be gentle in your responses. I feel very
stupid.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...le-479625-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 11:44:01 +0000, Becky wrote:

[...]

Why didn't you just use another layer of wood filler?

It is quite normal to fill, then sand, then fill any remaining low spots,
then sand again.....

The main thing to remember is to do your final sanding with a fine
sandpaper to avoid leaving gouges from coarse sandpaper.

Given that the caulk is still not set, I would be tempted to scrape it
off, clean remainder off the filler, and then try a bit more filling and
sanding.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 12:44, Becky wrote:
[...]

Some types of caulk are sold as sandable, but even they don't sand very
well. I think you need to scrape it off and do it again with filler or
something.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 August 2019 12:44:03 UTC+1, Becky wrote:
[...]

If what you put in isn't setting, just take it out as best you can. If it's setting but very slowly, the remaining thin amount will then set far sooner.

Re filling generally, I go by the rule of never leaving a single grain above the finish level. That means it takes 2 or 3 goes, but zero sanding time. It's quicker & you don't end up with the problems that sanding sometimes causes.

NT

Caulk Bill UK diy 11 June 15th 06 10:39 PM
Removing caulk from "caulk strip" GotBonus Home Repair 1 April 18th 06 12:27 AM
Sandable topcoat/skimcoat over plaster? [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 11th 06 05:31 PM
Gap seems big for caulk - help! [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 17th 05 10:52 PM
Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint? Alan Smithee Home Repair 4 April 18th 05 04:03 PM