Posted to uk.d-i-y
Samantha Booth Samantha Booth is offline

Default Is caulk sandable?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Samantha Booth wrote:
I need to full some small gaps between the wall and skirting board and
also round the door frame where the old paints cracked. I have been using
caulk but after applying it, the following day I went to sand it smooth
and it was tacky and I made more of a mess.

Whats the best stuff to use or do you have any advice on how to do the
job properly.

Caulk often is the best stuff, but you have to remember that it is not
sandable. The trick is to get it right first time! It is water soluble, so
you can smooth it with a damp sponge etc. The main attraction is that it
is very easy to wipe into small imperfections, and it remains slightly
flexible which is handy round door frames etc.

If you want something similar, but sandable, then look for one of the low
density fine surface fillers. Toolstation do a "Instant Plaster Filler"
that is a little like caulk in use, but can be sanded. Product code 87431.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks John

I have learned something new today again. i do love this NG, and appreciate
you all taking the time to help me.

thanks